Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trip McNeely

Thursday Night Football - Is there a decline in stats or fun?

77 posts in this topic

Since the inception of the every week Thursday game last year- these games have been sloppy and low scoring.

I hate playing my studs for these games. If there's ever a time to possibly think about playing matchups when you have someone going Thursday- you have to consider it imo.

Was sure disappointed when I played Peyton two Thursdays ago.

That was the first game of the season, not a game off a short week.

yeah considering bencing Vick cause of this. The alternatives are not too enticing tho so might have to take the chance

IIRC Doug Martin put up 250+ yards and 4 TDs on a thursday night game.

That was a Sunday game, not a Thursday.

Yeah, TB Thursday Game last year he only put up 135 and a TD on the ground and 79 and a TD in the air. Pathetic bum.

That same game AP had 123 and a TD. Both are bums. I expect more.

Thursday games usually suck. Actually considering using the Thursday effect his week to my favor and start the Chiefs DST. I've had great success with kickers on Thursday but try and avoid starting offensive skill players.

Yeah, TB Thursday Game last year he only put up 135 and a TD on the ground and 79 and a TD in the air. Pathetic bum.

yes, this is the game i was thinking of. thank you.

I feel like DeSean Jackson will disappoint after two monster games. Chiefs come in with a decent secondary that I think is more vulnerable versus a big physical receiver rather then the little burner. Andy Reid I am sure will get into his DC's ear and do everything he can from letting D-Jax get behind there secondary. I have feeling the TE's for the Eagles come up big on Thursday.

yes, this is the game i was thinking of. thank you.

I remember this game because I had Martin on my team and I was jumping for joy listening to the broadcast while I drove home from school that night. Fairly certain I stopped at BW3 for Boneless Thursday that night.

Randy moss had like 10 touchdowns one thanksgiving. Those games are never on Thursdays...

I do remember noticing this trend last season. Obviously not every player slumps. But overall it did seem like the stats were down on the short weeks.

I usually get screwed either way on Thursday night games. My opponent has Charles this week so he's good for a buck 50 on the ground with 2 TDs. Book it and start him with confidence.

Like people weren't already starting Charles with confidence....

I usually stream defenses and there is always one defense that scores 10+ on these TNF games. Week 1: Broncos and Week 2: Patriots. The trend also goes back to last season.

This week is pretty tricky though as I wouldnt pick any defense going against the Eagles, they look pretty deadly, and Smith has always been efficient and doesnt commit that many turnovers...

I have read a couple times on this site people stating that it is a trend that fantasy players perform worse on Thursday night games.

Is there any evidence behind this? Or just observations from people?

I looked through all of the games in 2012 and didn't notice any 'trend' one way or the other - there were some huge fantasy games, some bad fantasy games and a whole bunch in between.

Thoughts?

It's pure and utter observation bias on the part of many.

"Player X has a down game, so Thursday Night Football must be the cause!'

Suddenly everybody goes, "Yeah! ________ had a less than great game for my fantasy team as well...that MUST be why!"

These are likely some of the same people who believe that somebody on a "hot streak" in a game of chance has an increased likelihood of beating the odds - it's just not so.

There was a stat thrown up during the last thurday night game about how QBs do worse on Thursday nights.

I cant find anything online to back it up though.

Since its a short week:

a. Teams usually havent had enough prep work done and play mostly vanilla offenses and defenses or plays they are most comfortable with.

b. Both teams are a bit tired due to the short week but its hardest on the team traveling.

c. Players have limited time to recover from bruises suffered on Sunday and are not upto full speed.

Obviously the first game of the season was not a short week :) so its not a typical Thursday game.

1 person likes this