Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ponchsox

The return of Ron Artest

Who do you see losing value when Artest comes back? Will Salmons go to the bench, or will he slide over to PG and Garcia sits?

Who do you see losing value when Artest comes back? Will Salmons go to the bench, or will he slide over to PG and Garcia sits?

This is a very hard question to answer. Both players are skilled, but they both give different things offensively and defensively. Garcia is a better 3pt shooter, but Salmons is a better penetrator (I think). Garcia seems like a better defender on the wing than Salmons because of his lenght. I think once Artest comes back Garcia will probably go back to the SF position and Salmons to the PG position. Regardless, both players should see at least 30+ minutes per game beacuse of the short bench. The Kings might even start Artest in the PF position rather than Kenny Thomas. At 6'7, 245lbs, Artest can basically guard any PF player. If that's the case, their starters would be Salmons, Martin, Garcia, Artest, & Miller.

I think it will be Garcia will who sit, Garcia had no assists on friday, which gives a strong indication that he's not the player to lead the point. Salmons is known to be a rounded player, so i see him starting at point, but don't get me wrong, both of their stats will be affected negatively by the return of artest.

There's some talk in Sac about a small lineup with Ron playing a lot of 4, so all of those players would still see good PT. I actually think Garcia has done a solid job, so he might still get the start. But both of those guys obviously lose some value with fewer touches.

I too think that they will play Artest at the 4, Salmons and Garcia singlehandedly kept the Kings close late in the game against the Cavs - cutting one of their PT just so you can have Artest at SF and bring in Mikki Moore or Kenny Thomas really limits their offensive power. I think they will go with both Salmons and Garcia in the starting lineup, no way you can penalize one of these guys the way they have been playing so far.

Both guys probably considering Ron Ron's selfish ways.

i agree. but i think garcia loses more value cuz he's more of a spot up shooter than salmons. plus salmons is more aggressive when he actually gets the ball. SAC's offense could be a series of 1 on 1 plays determined by who out of salmons, martin or artest touches the ball first. they'll be the WAS wizards of the west.

someone needs to tell artest that he's not a superstar offensive player.

someone needs to tell artest that he's not a superstar offensive player.

Not it. I actually enjoy having 4 functional limbs.

Whatever happens, I'd really like it if Kmart continues to score at this incredible clip.

Somehow, I don't see that happening though. B)

Not it. I actually enjoy having 4 functional limbs.

Whatever happens, I'd really like it if Kmart continues to score at this incredible clip.

Somehow, I don't see that happening though. B)

I've doubted Kmart for so long, and I just can't anymore and I expect him to keep it up.

I've doubted Kmart for so long, and I just can't anymore and I expect him to keep it up.

He's getting to the foul line at an incredible rate right now, and as long as he keeps driving and drawing fouls, he'll easily average 25 PPG.

The hip shot cannot be stopped - its too silky!

Sac Bee reported that Artest will be coming back this week to play PF, which means Salmons will still have great value.

My money says Garcia loses value with the emergence of Udrih. The guy made some nice passes in the game VS Min. On one play, he was able to penetrate all the way to the basket and draw the defender guarding B-Rad and still have the court awareness to kick it out to B-Rad for a 20-ft jumper. It won't surprise me to see him get the start and 24 minutes or so since he's the only "true" point guard on the team.

If Theuss is smart he plays Artest at PF, Udrih at PG, and keep Salmons at SF.

I don't know if you guys know this but Udrih is total garbage. I don't think Sacramento would have signed this guy if Bibby wasn't injured. The guy was cut by the Spurs which probably means he wasn't good enough to play in their system. I've seen this guy play before, even though he has some decent moves, his NBA IQ is just not there. Think about it like this, would you rather have Salmons or Udrih start in the PG position?

I thought the word was Udrih would start at PG, Salmons at the 3 and Ron at 4...all in good hope as I have Salmons =p

I thought the word was Udrih would start at PG, Salmons at the 3 and Ron at 4...all in good hope as I have Salmons =p

Udrih is trash... Salmons should retain full value while Garcia might take a slight hit, but he should still be worth a roster spot.

Yeah, Udrih is bad - he can make some spectacular plays sometimes, but is really inconsistent and throws up ill advised shots more than he runs the offense correctly. Salmons should be the SF when Artest returns and Garcia should run the point while Bibby is out. When Bibby returns I expect Salmon to still stay in the starting lineup and the Kings would trot out a lineup of:

PG: Mike Bibby

SG: Kevin Martin

SF: John Salmons

PF: Ron Artest

C: Brad Miller

Yeah, Udrih is bad - he can make some spectacular plays sometimes, but is really inconsistent and throws up ill advised shots more than he runs the offense correctly. Salmons should be the SF when Artest returns and Garcia should run the point while Bibby is out. When Bibby returns I expect Salmon to still stay in the starting lineup and the Kings would trot out a lineup of:

PG: Mike Bibby

SG: Kevin Martin

SF: John Salmons

PF: Ron Artest

C: Brad Miller

This should be the starting lineup of Sacramento when Bibby comes back. Damn, I have Salmons but don't really know what to do with him. I'm thinking of picking up Bibby in 2 weeks and dropping someone from my lineup. I'm not sure if I should package Salmons up with someone or drop Alston for Bibby.

There's some talk in Sac about a small lineup with Ron playing a lot of 4, so all of those players would still see good PT. I actually think Garcia has done a solid job, so he might still get the start. But both of those guys obviously lose some value with fewer touches.

Garcia is the man. the Kings have to see this. i would much rather have him on my team than Salmons, not just from a fantasy perspective. somehow someway Garcia needs to get 30 minutes, regardless of the position.

My money says Garcia loses value with the emergence of Udrih. The guy made some nice passes in the game VS Min. On one play, he was able to penetrate all the way to the basket and draw the defender guarding B-Rad and still have the court awareness to kick it out to B-Rad for a 20-ft jumper. It won't surprise me to see him get the start and 24 minutes or so since he's the only "true" point guard on the team.

If Theuss is smart he plays Artest at PF, Udrih at PG, and keep Salmons at SF.

Garcia is Theus boy from Louisville. my guess is if Udrih cuts into the minutes Garcia isnt the one to lose out.

Every time I remember seeing Udrich playing for the Spurs he had great speed, but just couldn't run the offense. Granted, that is the Spurs offense, which isn't exactly simple, but name one player who has left the Spurs and had more value after they left.

I'm not that high on Udrich.

No way Artest plays the 4. I can see him at the point before I see him at pf.

Seems like they'll move Salmon's to the point as they have had some success in the past, but who really knows.

I'd say Garcia is the one to lose first, but salmons and garcia could easily cancel eachother out as well.

Artest would make a great PF, he'd give strong post 4's fits with his quick hands on the defensive side. He can face up and bomb the treys as well on the offensive side to go along with his slashing game, he'd be a nightmare for slower PF's and matches up well with the ever growing PF that have outside shooting range. The average Western Conference PF is along the lines of 6"8 - 6"10, easily covered by Artest who is 6"7 with great hands on defense. It isn't like the Kings have many other options at PF - Mikki Moore just got eaten alive by Carlos Boozer (Mikki too small for PF, at 225LB he can't handle the big boys down there) and Kenny Thomas is old as dirt. Artest can play a role similar to what Marion does for the Suns or Gerald Wallace does for the Bobcats, list him at the PF but play him as a SF on the offensive side - just have him defend the opposing PF like the Suns/Bobcats do with Marion/Wallace.

Artest would make a great PF, he'd give strong post 4's fits with his quick hands on the defensive side. He can face up and bomb the treys as well on the offensive side to go along with his slashing game, he'd be a nightmare for slower PF's and matches up well with the ever growing PF that have outside shooting range. The average Western Conference PF is along the lines of 6"8 - 6"10, easily covered by Artest who is 6"7 with great hands on defense. It isn't like the Kings have many other options at PF - Mikki Moore just got eaten alive by Carlos Boozer (Mikki too small for PF, at 225LB he can't handle the big boys down there) and Kenny Thomas is old as dirt. Artest can play a role similar to what Marion does for the Suns or Gerald Wallace does for the Bobcats, list him at the PF but play him as a SF on the offensive side - just have him defend the opposing PF like the Suns/Bobcats do with Marion/Wallace.

Artest is a BIG mismatch against your regular PF players. Remember, this guy is a big SF who can shoot the 3PT and is great with steals. Artest has a big frame and he's stock heavy. There will be instances where he might get shatted by other bigger players but he's a perfect PF or a big SF.

I'm sure the Kings don't want to play Artest at the 4, but they have no choice. Their PF's are trash. Moore has looked totally lost, SAR and Kenny Thomas are done and they haven't gotten anything from the 4 all year. Artest, even overmatched at times will be a huge upgrade over they trash they have there. No way they can take Garcia and Salmons off the floor in favor of Moore/SAR/Thomas at this point. Most games so far, Salmons, Garcia, and Martin are the only ones playing with no help from the 4-5 positions on offense or defense. Their only chance is to run and hope that Artest causes matchup problems at this point. While I would not be a big fan of playing him at the 4, he is clearly an upgrade over the garbage they have there currently.