Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pepper11

Waiver wire wasteland

48 posts in this topic

Anyone else notice the lack of quality waiver wire additions this year. Its the week 5 wire and I can't think of any quality waiver additions in any of my leagues. I an not talking about the Joque Bell and Moreno as they were not available in most competitive leagues. Thinking back over the last 5 years there have been some absolute studs on the wire.

Vick 2010 top qb

Newton 2011 top 4 qb

Shorts 2012 top 15 second half

Danario 2012 top 15 second half

Moreno 2012 top 15 second half

Hillis 2010 top 5

Sydney Rice 2009 top 10

Charles 2009 top 12 and playoff hero

Miles Austin 2009 top 10 and playoff hero

victor Cruz 2011 top 5

That is just if the top if my head and doesn't include guys like Cobb morris and Russel wilson that were also available in many leagues last year.

Those are just a few. What gives thus year. There is nothing. Blial powell and his 10 points a game is the best i have seen in my leagues so far. I knew its early but still.

Seems the same as ever to me. Just as now, those guys you listed weren't known studs, or they wouldn't have been FA's. Don't you think that when people picked up KMoreno last year they were saying the exact same thing? Save a copy of your FA list right now, and go back at the end of the year, and you'll see that they are there. Just as in years past, we don't know who they are yet.

2 people like this

I agree...There hasn't really been much of anything...No real difference makers that I can think of...

Edelman has been decent if you're in a PPR league...But I don't expect it to continue....

Still time for Eddie Royal to be the big waiver surprise if he somehow musters a couple more big games...

I plucked J Cameron off waivers before our season started....He's been a nice surprise and could be considered a stud from the wire...

Actually though, probably the Chiefs defense/sp has been the best waiver wire find so far.

Still time for guys to emerge though as injuries happen and we get farther along into the season.

I just picked up M Floyd and Ellington from the free agent pool in my 14 teamer....Hoping we see their names emerge as candidates for this list :)

Edelman and some of the TE's like Julius Thomas this year were WW adds in many leagues.

Phillip Rivers was a WW add in most leagues unless he was drafted in the late rounds as someones backup QB

Alex Smith is quietly a top 10 QB so far this season.

Fred Jackson was most likely drafted as a handcuff but may have been WW'd initially in a few leagues

Danny Woodhead has cracked the top 20 RBs thanks to a massive performance and is currently at 45% owned in ESPN (+31% change) which means last week he was only owned in 14% of leagues. (Man, do I really feel like a genius for starting him last week now).

Nate Washington just cracked the top 20 in WRs this week and is only owned in 31% of ESPN leagues (+22% change)

It's still early in the season yet.

1 person likes this

Posted · Hidden by v0dka, October 2, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

I plucked J Cameron off waivers before our season started....He's been a nice surprise and could be considered a stud from the wire...

What an awesome, highly competitive league this must be.......

Keep an eye on Andre Ellington. He may soon get the nod even without a Mendenhall injury because of poor play and now in the coaches dog house after last game vs. Bucs. I know the cards schedule isn't looking good for RB's but I think where he will shine is in the dump off screen game in space, similar to how the Lions use Bush.

Keenan Allen in deep leagues. Had a good game last week and will start/play a lot based solely on attrition. And Phillip Rivers looks like he's back to his old gun-slinging ways.

Holben and others providing a very good list, and that's just so far.

To highlight:

KC CHIEFS (#1 DEF)

PRrivers (#3 QB)

Don't forget MVick (#4 QB). 15th ADP on ESPN = undrafted where people only take one QB in 10 or 12 team leagues and wait and see. (And don't start with the non-competive league garbage--that's all hindsight nonsense and has absolutely no place in this thread).

1 person likes this

To highlight:

KC CHIEFS (#1 DEF)

PRrivers (#3 QB)

Don't forget MVick (#4 QB). 15th ADP on ESPN = undrafted where people only take one QB in 10 or 12 team leagues and wait and see. (And don't start with the non-competive league garbage--that's all hindsight nonsense and has absolutely no place in this thread).

Haha, I nominated Vick in my auction league for $1 hoping someone would pay $2 for him. Nope, was initially mad I got stuck with him!

Charles, Austin and Newton all stood out to me.

Charles broke out week 8, Austin week 5. Newton was week 1 (and the first few weeks of the season were big for him).

We probably haven't seen our big "breakout" waiver wire add yet unless it's Julius Thomas and we don't know how big he's going to be yet.

I don't think every year is as dramatic as it was with Austin and Charles because they really tore it up in the fantasy playoffs.

1 person likes this

Charles broke out week 8, Austin week 5. Newton was week 1 (and the first few weeks of the season were big for him).

We probably haven't seen our big "breakout" waiver wire add yet unless it's Julius Thomas and we don't know how big he's going to be yet.

I don't think every year is as dramatic as it was with Austin and Charles because they really tore it up in the fantasy playoffs.

Great points!

JThomas ADP TE was 7 (likely drafted).

JCameron ADP TE was 14 (likely un-drafted in many leagues). He got drafted #71 overall in my league and everyone thought I reached -- but I can't claim him as a WW find personally.

Julus Thomas was the 7th TE taken in your draft? Was it after week 1?

I had never even heard of him until week 1 and I consider myself somewhat savvy. If he keeps it up he may indeed be the WW pickup of the year.

Still plenty of time. Simpson with Cassel at the helm and Mike Goodson might be on this list by the end of the season.

Great points!

JCameron ADP TE was 14 (likely un-drafted in many leagues). He got drafted #71 overall in my league and everyone thought I reached -- but I can't claim him as a WW find personally.

I call b.s. on Thomas being drafted ahead of Cameron. I didn't see one mock or one live draft where Thomas was taken anywhere close to Cameron. If he [thomas] was taken at all it was late rounds as a flier, not once did I see more.

Jordan Cameron was touted by every fantasy football site known to man. He couldn't be considered a sleeper by my standards.. As everyone knew about him.

Small edit: if u drafted him in the 7th that doesn't mean his ADP is 7. That not an average, that's an individual selection.

1 person likes this

To highlight:

KC CHIEFS (#1 DEF)

PRrivers (#3 QB)

I mean, I know you warned me and what not, but Vick really was drafted in every competitive league.

1 person likes this

Great points!

I call b.s. on Thomas being drafted ahead of Cameron. I didn't see one mock or one live draft where Thomas was taken anywhere close to Cameron. If he [thomas] was taken at all it was late rounds as a flier, not once did I see more.

Jordan Cameron was touted by every fantasy football site known to man. He couldn't be considered a sleeper by my standards.. As everyone knew about him.

Small edit: if u drafted him in the 7th that doesn't mean his ADP is 7. That not an average, that's an individual selection.

Don't know what to tell you guys. I'm just looking at the data.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/livedraftresults?position=TE

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/livedraftresults?position=QB

I agree that the WW seems to be real baren this year. One of my leagues has really deep benches so I expect that to be empty but in my standard roster leagues even they seem to be thin. Usually by now there is at least one or two people who pop and I really can't think of anyone.

I'm talking about people that were on the WW after Week 1 up until now. I don't count Julius Thomas or Julian Edelman because in most competitive leagues they were picked up before Week 1. I guess right now Andre Ellington could be the 2013 WW add but so far I only see him having a chance.

I guess Stephen Hill has a chance if he comes back form his concussion strong.

Julus Thomas was the 7th TE taken in your draft? Was it after week 1?

I had never even heard of him until week 1 and I consider myself somewhat savvy. If he keeps it up he may indeed be the WW pickup of the year.

The Peyton effect. Many savvy owners jumped on him late

OP, look at what you just posted. 5 of the 10 breakouts you listed emerged in the second half or playoffs. we are in week 5. end this nonsense.

To highlight:

KC CHIEFS (#1 DEF)

PRrivers (#3 QB)

Haha, I nominated Vick in my auction league for $1 hoping someone would pay $2 for him. Nope, was initially mad I got stuck with him!

Vick went for $12 in mine.

But back to the original point of the thread, yes it's been slim so far. Most of the people mentioned were drafted in all my leagues (Allen being an exception). Still plenty of time left. I like Ellington and possibly one of Allen, Ted Ginn, or Terrance Williams to emerge in the second half. I'll add Chris Obgy in ppr leagues to the list as well.

Great points!

I got Cameron off waivers. Out draft was in July