Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marty Funkhouser

Everth Cabrera 2014 Outlook

337 posts in this topic

Before the suspension he was on a 60 steal pace and if you extrapolated his numbers over a full season he would have been the highest ranked shortstop. He started to show some extra base power and the walk rate was good. Personally, I think he'll be a good value and will be targeting him even with the uncertainty over the PEDs. A potential Ellsburyish line at shortstop is pretty enticing. Thoughts?

He was dropped in my auction league after the suspension so I snapped him up for $5 next year. I'll see how things go in the off-season, see how his spring is, but I think a potential top 10 short stop at $5 is a pretty sweet deal.

1 person likes this

Getting 60 bags out of your SS is pretty big. With full health for a year I could see 65-70 if he can keep the OBP up, which hopefully will not be a problem. I like the Ellsbury comparison just with a little less avg, a bit less power, a few more steals, and a whole lot cheaper come draft day!

Getting 60 bags out of your SS is pretty big. With full health for a year I could see 65-70 if he can keep the OBP up, which hopefully will not be a problem. I like the Ellsbury comparison just with a little less avg, a bit less power, a few more steals, and a whole lot cheaper come draft day!

I've got him on all of my dynasty teams I can. Looking forward to a decade of speed from my SS hole.

1 person likes this

I've got him on all of my dynasty teams I can. Looking forward to a decade of speed from my SS hole.

Im on the same boat on that

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, October 20, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Looking forward to a decade of speed from my SS hole.

TMI... ;)

1 person likes this

Without the juice, he'll revert back to what he did in 2012. Truly a 1-cat player. I won't go near him.

Ya he strikes me as more Villar than Ellsbury, think ill pass

Without the juice, he'll revert back to what he did in 2012. Truly a 1-cat player. I won't go near him.

He wasn't on the juice in 2013.

1 person likes this

Suspended for taking PEDs. Fact.

The other part of that fact was the use (according to Cabrera) happened in 2012. Wasn't he part of the infamous Biogenics (or whatever the lab was in FLA). If this is true I hope he does go back to 2012 performance levels.

1 person likes this

The other part of that fact was the use (according to Cabrera) happened in 2012. Wasn't he part of the infamous Biogenics (or whatever the lab was in FLA). If this is true I hope he does go back to 2012 performance levels.

I can't think of a good reason to take him at his word. He's a cheat and a liar. A-Rod said he never juiced with the Yankees or the Mariners. I've heard he started juicing back in high school.

I can't think of a good reason to take him at his word. He's a cheat and a liar. A-Rod said he never juiced with the Yankees or the Mariners. I've heard he started juicing back in high school.

I agree that taking any of them at their word is not a good idea. I also think the saying that any player was good before taking PED is also a foolish thing. You have no idea when it started.

1 person likes this

Apparently he took something in the offseason before 2012 to recover from a slow healing shoulder injury. I believe him and from talking to others that would know in the San Diego community they do to.

Grandal is a totally different story. What sort of player he really is remains to be seen.

Apparently he took something in the offseason before 2012 to recover from a slow healing shoulder injury. I believe him and from talking to others that would know in the San Diego community they do to.

Grandal is a totally different story. What sort of player he really is remains to be seen.

Pettitte, McGwire, and Braun also claimed they used PEDs to recover from injuries. Cabrera was able to put on the waterworks when he was caught. He's a good actor, or perhaps he was sincerely contrite. Regardless, like the rest of those cheaters I would not for a second give him the benefit of the doubt.

The crying apology Everth had really stuck with me. I think he took it to recover in 2012 and eventually had to fall on the sword

I think this guy will be a little bit of a bargain come draft day. People might slot him lower on their rankings because he does play for the Padres, and the whole suspension thing. No matter what he will get steals, and that is valuable at any time of the draft.

1 person likes this

He's damned good in that one category. He's not a guy I'll go out of my way to acquire, but I do feel the PED's could drop his value significantly enough to make him an enticing gamble. I don't think it's probable he'll return to 2013 power levels, but I acknowledge it's possible.

He's damned good in that one category. He's not a guy I'll go out of my way to acquire, but I do feel the PED's could drop his value significantly enough to make him an enticing gamble. I don't think it's probable he'll return to 2013 power levels, but I acknowledge it's possible.

even if the power levels don't return the Padres actually won't be a bad team IMO, and he will hit at the top of the lineup. He will provide good runs, great steals and depending on his avg (could be low again around .250) he might not kill you there. He is also a SS so that helps his value. I'm going to be targeting him on draft day if he is cheap. SS is god awful anyway.

even if the power levels don't return the Padres actually won't be a bad team IMO, and he will hit at the top of the lineup. He will provide good runs, great steals and depending on his avg (could be low again around .250) he might not kill you there. He is also a SS so that helps his value. I'm going to be targeting him on draft day if he is cheap. SS is god awful anyway.

Agreed. If you don't get one of the elite options (which I typically wouldn't pay for anyway) you could do yourself a service by selecting this guy. If you're going to roster a one category (steals only) guy, SS is the place to do it.

1 person likes this

getting good amount of steals from your SS is where to get it. especially if they are not hurting your average and Cabrera was the perfect definition of this last year.

juice smuice fluice chuice ... surprised and pleased some people think what we saw last year is not to be trusted.

i got mad love for everth.

please, by all means, discount his 2013 performance ... then watch jealously as other owners benefit from his massive upside value at ss.

juice smuice fluice chuice ... surprised and pleased some people think what we saw last year is not to be trusted.

please, by all means, discount his 2013 performance ... then watch jealously as other owners benefit from his massive upside value at ss.

The juice still remains in his veins for a few more months!!! Muuahahahahahahaaa.

Also regardless of juicing or not I've always pegged Everth to be a solid player. A SS speedster hitting at the top of the lineup. Honestly the growth he showed last year looked a lot more like an athlete really learning how to hit more than a hitter taking steroids to become a better athlete.

Honestly compare 2013 and 2012, they are damn similar outside of the increase in batting average. It's not like this guy was all of a sudden hitting way more doubles and home runs.

The juice still remains in his veins for a few more months!!! Muuahahahahahahaaa.

Also regardless of juicing or not I've always pegged Everth to be a solid player. A SS speedster hitting at the top of the lineup. Honestly the growth he showed last year looked a lot more like an athlete really learning how to hit more than a hitter taking steroids to become a better athlete.

Honestly compare 2013 and 2012, they are damn similar outside of the increase in batting average. It's not like this guy was all of a sudden hitting way more doubles and home runs.

Basically comes down to whether hes a 250 guy or a 290 guy

1 person likes this

But it wasn't during 2013 that he was ever suspected of taking PEDs. That suspicion was from the past. "Fact".

1 person likes this