Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posting In The Clutch

Yu Darvish 2014 Outlook

339 posts in this topic

Darvish took his game to another level in 2013. Where do we see him being drafted in 2014? Late 2nd round? Earlier?

His walks and the fact that he still nibbles a fair amount concerns me, and pitchers that do that have even enhanced injury risks, but what pitcher isn't a red flag? If this guy makes 32 starts, he's the leading candidate for Cy Young, simple as that. He got unlucky with wins this year, and that could easily jump to 18 next year to go along with sub-3.00 era and 250+ k's. He's also going to be among the league leaders in bad puns used by owners that involve his name.

My tentative top ten AL only: Trout, Miggy, Jones, Cano, Beltre, Davis, Fielder, Darvish, Scherzer, Verlander.

Darvish took his game to another level in 2013. Where do we see him being drafted in 2014? Late 2nd round? Earlier?

I have taken part in two slow mock drafts. In the first draft, he was selected with the first pick in the third round. In the second draft, he was taken with the 14th overall pick.

1 person likes this

Darvish is a round 2-3 guy. Although this year there seems to be a gluttony of mid round pitchers while last year I thought this are was very weak (had a strategy of targeting Kershaw in the first round). This year I'll be waiting on pitchers.

1 person likes this

Not looking to set off any alarms but I found this:

http://www.sportsone...-an-injury-risk

I will say that the low zone %, high walk total (all though it did improve) and high slider usage had me worried on my own before I saw an article actually detailing those problems. Darvish does seem well built and young though, so I guess take this with a grain of salt. All pitchers are huge risks, take this with a grain of salt, just thought I'd share since it is pretty interesting.

I'm one of the biggest Darvish fans you'll meet but I don't think he will finish as a top 5 pitcher for the simple fact that he no longer has A.J. Pierzynski behind the plate. A.J. knows how to call a game and the effect a great game caller has on a pitcher can go overlooked. I still think he will be an elite ace but I'm fully prepared for him to have his worst year in the MLB.

I'm one of the biggest Darvish fans you'll meet but I don't think he will finish as a top 5 pitcher for the simple fact that he no longer has A.J. Pierzynski behind the plate. A.J. knows how to call a game and the effect a great game caller has on a pitcher can go overlooked. I still think he will be an elite ace but I'm fully prepared for him to have his worst year in the MLB.

Even though he caught fire at the end of the year, he had a 3.90 era and 1.28 whip his rookie year. I highly doubt he is worse than that.

Yu's prospects will have little to do with AJP. He hated when AJP caught him which came to a head when they had words in early September. AJP didn't catch Yu again the rest of the year. Soto was Yu's personal catcher most of last season and will be again this year....

Darivsh has a 2.68 ERA with a .191 opponents batting average in 1542/3 career innings with Soto. He has a 3.76 ERA with a .216 opponents batting average with all other catchers.
5 people like this

Thank you for correcting me. Those statistics make me a lot more optimistic.

1 person likes this

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 17, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

he better be good just drafted him as my ace for the next five years

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 17, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

he better be good just drafted him as my ace for the next five years

I've been waiting on this news. Probably need to move him up the draft board a bit now.

i looked it up, but nope: 2012 - 15IP, 21K, 2013 - 13.2IP, 15K

and then 91K in 71.2 April innings...

But he could easily make up the difference in the next start, just wondering if there's been any excuse given after the first few starts.

Yu's prospects will have little to do with AJP. He hated when AJP caught him which came to a head when they had words in early September. AJP didn't catch Yu again the rest of the year. Soto was Yu's personal catcher most of last season and will be again this year....

Darivsh has a 2.68 ERA with a .191 opponents batting average in 1542/3 career innings with Soto. He has a 3.76 ERA with a .216 opponents batting average with all other catchers.

now that Soto is out (12 weeks) it will be interesting to see what affect (if any) it has on Darvish.

1 person likes this

now that Soto is out (12 weeks) it will be interesting to see what affect (if any) it has on Darvish.

Agreed. At first I was discouraged when Pierzynski left but after reading those stats I'm even more discouraged now. I really hope this will be just a small bump in Darvish's road to the Cy Young. I guess we won't know for sure until we see him actually pitch.

Speaking of which, Yu was scratched from his last spring training start due to a sore neck, right? Does anyone know when his next, and I assume final, tune up start will be?

Yu Darvish made it through a game of catch on Monday but is still battling soreness in his neck.

Darvish woke up with the soreness on Thursday and had to be scratched from a scheduled minor league start on Friday. The Rangers are now considering using a different starter for Opening Day and pushing Darvish back a week or so. This shouldn't affect his fantasy stock. Mar 24 - 3:14 PM

ESPN confirmed Darvish won't start Opening Day, "raising the possibility that he starts the season on the disabled list."

Crapola....Just traded for him, was all excited about owning him. I suspect its not serious but nonetheless, not good news. Any inside info on how long he will be out. Neck/Back pain can be so many things so its wide open to missing a start to much more serious.

Crapola....Just traded for him, was all excited about owning him. I suspect its not serious but nonetheless, not good news. Any inside info on how long he will be out. Neck/Back pain can be so many things so its wide open to missing a start to much more serious.

No inside info, but the fact he was dealing with neck pain last season as well makes me extremely worried.

1 person likes this

No inside info, but the fact he was dealing with neck pain last season as well makes me extremely worried.

Very good point. Exactly what came to mind when I heard news of the stiff neck. Starting to wonder if its a disk problem.