Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funkenstein

Scrubs to Studs

28 posts in this topic

Which players came out of nowhere to become fantasy studs here in 2013?

Alshon Jeffrey and Julius Thomas are the first that come to mind. Maybe you can throw Woodhead in there (although he hasnt really become a 'stud')...

Anyone can tell the wiaver pickups that proved awesome and the zero-to-hero story of position players, but consider this.....Carolina DEF and Steven Hauschka.

DEF and K aren't exactly glory positions, but these two positions are the SOLE reason I'm 6-4 thru 10-wks. They come through solid and drag the barely-live fantasy team carcass from the battlefield week in-week out.

CAROLINA DEFENSE

2011 - 30th (86pts)

2012 - 21st (118pts)

2013 - 2nd thru 10 games - (118pts)

STEVEN HAUSCHKA

2011 - 17th - (120pts)

2012 - 17th - (125pts)

2013 - 1st thru 10 games (106pts)

Anyone can tell the wiaver pickups that proved awesome and the zero-to-hero story of position players, but consider this.....Carolina DEF and Steven Hauschka.

DEF and K aren't exactly glory positions, but these two positions are the SOLE reason I'm 6-4 thru 10-wks. They come through solid and drag the barely-live fantasy team carcass from the battlefield week in-week out.

CAROLINA DEFENSE

2011 - 30th (86pts)

2012 - 21st (118pts)

2013 - 2nd thru 10 games - (118pts)

STEVEN HAUSCHKA

2011 - 17th - (120pts)

2012 - 17th - (125pts)

2013 - 1st thru 10 games (106pts)

This is why you never draft a kicker before the last round.

1 person likes this

KC defense was probably available on most WWs early this season as well. I picked them up week 1 to stream and quickly dropped them for week 2. My mistake.

This should be called the Knowshon Moreno award. Remember all the Monte Ball and Hillman hype in the preseason? He came out of nowhere to not only win the job but produce like a top 10 running back. Some even speculated he would be cut in the preseason.

5 people like this

Jordan Reed, Harry Douglas, Jarrett Boykin, Riley Cooper should make this list no problem. Running back remains the most difficult position to fill on a fantasy roster as the season goes along. More scrubs then studs come out of the RB position than any other position thanks to injuries mostly. If you get lucky with your rb selections or ww pickups (bc there's no skill on predicting injuries), then you probably have a solid chance of making your league playoffs on that alone.

Jordan Cameron

Cameron shouldn't be on this list because he was getting hyped up all off season because of who the new coach was in town and how that coach likes to use his tight ends on offense. And what he did wasn't a big surprise to the fantasy world as the signs were all there for it to happen. But I can see why you could argue for him since the guy had nothing in his whole career that told people he was a stud before the season took off.

Not sure I'd call Ridley a scrub as he was more the victim of a very unforgiving coach, but I'm so glad I held on to him. Went from 16 standard points in his first 4 games to 67 in his last four. Looking like his solidified himself as a top 12 rb ROS.

1 person likes this

Allen, Stacy, and Ellington, were never scrubs. I don't think any rookies can make this list. Are they really scrubs, or just first-year players being given the opportunity to prove themselves on the next level? IMO, this list is about guys that have been playing at an average/below average level for a while, and now are playing great.

Why isn't anybody talking about Julius Thomas?

Because he isn't a scrub. He's always had talent, just couldn't stay healthy.

Julius Thomas

Julius Thomas

Why isn't anybody talking about Julius Thomas?

You might want to get those glasses checked.