Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poopdungbeatle

Alex Meyer - SP MIN

Drafted in the first round by the Nats and traded straight up for Span.

Was a big dude coming out of college (6'6 or 6'7) but grew a couple of inches to become a 6'9 monster.

2013 minor league stats: 78.1 innings / 2.99 era / 1.26 whip / 100 k's

Only pitched 78.1 innings because he was out for 2 months due to a shoulder injury. Wasn't considered a major injury, Twins were just very cautious with there top pitching prospect.

2013 AFL stats so far: 23 innings / 2.74 ERA / 1.00 whip / 25 k's

Meyer leads the AFL in average fastball velocity at 98.6 MPH

I've read that Meyer has a short stride to the plate, so it's plausable he could gain even more velocity if he changes his stride a tab bit longer.

I think he should be on everyone's ready because he's a legit arm and since he's already 23, should get a shot in the bigs early 2014.

Just read about Myers AFL performance and I didn't really follow him to closely after he was traded from the Nationals (great deal for the Twins at the time and still looking so), but I was a big fan when he was with them. Was hoping he'd get some AA time so I could see him in Reading, but it looks like he is performing just fine out west. That strikeout potential though, looks phenomenal.

Was a big dude coming out of college (6'6 or 6'7) but grew a couple of inches to become a 6'9 monster.

Only pitched 78.1 innings because he was out for 2 months due to a shoulder injury. Wasn't considered a major injury, Twins were just very cautious with there top pitching prospect.

I've read that Meyer has a short stride to the plate, so it's plausable he could gain even more velocity if he changes his stride a tab bit longer.

I think he should be on everyone's ready because he's a legit arm and since he's already 23, should get a shot in the bigs early 2014.

Any chance you have a link to provide? Would love to read it.

I'm more wondering is it short in terms of % stride length / body height. Or just short in general. If the kid grew 2 inches in less than the past 2 years that could be part of why his stride is a bit short % wise. If that's the case.

Any chance you have a link to provide? Would love to read it.

I'm more wondering is it short in terms of % stride length / body height. Or just short in general. If the kid grew 2 inches in less than the past 2 years that could be part of why his stride is a bit short % wise. If that's the case.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/alex-meyer-progresses-impresses-in-arizona/

Fangraphs article that references the shorter stride. The exact quote is right after the video in the fifth paragraph. Interesting read. Enjoy!

What's the deal with Meyer?

Seems to be flying under the radar... anyone have an ETA?

He'll be up this year. Durability is his only concern. Without injuries he has the same ceiling as Zimmer, Stephenson, Gausman etc

Pretty good start last night for Meyer in his first AAA appearance. He'll be up faster than other SP ranked above him this year and he'll produce some solid stats across the board, except for wins, most likely...

6.2 innings, 3 hits, 3 walks , 0 ER, 11 K. Two of those hits came on the last two batters he faced.

Very strong outing.

Why is pelfrey even in the majors still. Meyer will be up at some point this year. I bet we see him about the same time we saw Gipson last year

This guy can miss bats? Doesn't sound like a Twins pitcher to me. He will probably get called up when he starts pitching to contact. That is the Twins way.

#GardyBall

Every time I come to this thread I do a double when I read the subtitle. This guy is a really a Twin? Shouldn't they trade him for Blake Beavan?

Whats Meyers ceiling.. a true ace or more #2? Tall pitchers who throw heat get me excited. I like this kid a lot.

Huge guy with big time power arm. Has #1 potential, espcially in that dismal Twins rotation. Watching him on video his stride is cringeworthy, seems like it hinders his ability, but still manages to top out high 90s which is amazing. Can't argue with his results so far though so if his stride works for him then so be it, just feel like if he fully extended it he could be a world beater.

Probably will get pulled due to the team wanting to keep him around 100 pitches.

6 IP, 2 Hits, 3 walks, 11 strikouts. Wow.

He changed his change-up to a 3 finger pitch, and it really has been the difference. Using this update pitch the last two starts has made him look utterly dominant.

Buy now, hopefully he gets a late June call up and contends for ROY.

Every time I come to this thread I do a double when I read the subtitle. This guy is a really a Twin? Shouldn't they trade him for Blake Beavan?

In his defense he wasn't drafted by the Twins, he was inexplicitly given to them by the Nats for Dennard Span. I imagine the Twins were a little bit disgusted by his high strikeout potential but eventually gave in and took the trade offer.

Is it for sure he's on an innings limit this year? The twins will be out of contention so no need to push the kid. I just hope he can put up great numbers until then..

For those who've watched him on MILB.TV is his stride really a cause for concern? I saw a couple highlights and it did look like he cuts his stride short. I'm a little worried about that. Can he be taught out of that?

I don't think its a cause for concern because he's been successful. I think its more of a thing where people think if he made it longer he would be even more dominant and add velocity, which I tend to agree with.

With Pelphrey's failure to get anyone out and sequential trip to the DL that's probably one less body Meyer has to navigate to cracking the rotation. Any chance of a June call up ?

Very good chance he'll be up in June after super two. He's the best pitcher the Twins have. Only so much you can learn in Triple A. Gibson was called up around June 23rd last season for reference.

With Pelphrey's failure to get anyone out and sequential trip to the DL that's probably one less body Meyer has to navigate to cracking the rotation. Any chance of a June call up ?

The Pelfrey thing doesn't affect Meyer. Deduno will replace him. Now like Fenam said he will more then likely replace Correjia in June.

1st bad start in a whiiile.

Meyer lifted after 92 pitches: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, HR. ERA: 3.45. Back to earth. #mntwins