Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poopdungbeatle

Alex Meyer - SP MIN

Lol @ back to earth comment. His start was no where as bad as it looked. One subpar performance doesn't change anything, at least with me. Dude is filthy and will make some noise soon in the majors...

Got Pummeled again. I think he's gotta fix his mechanics. His stride is weak to the plate..

saw this from his start last night.

The Red Wings had a big first inning and then held on for the victory thanks to a special outing from Alex Meyer. Meyer picked up his second win of the season, pitching five innings of no-hit baseball before reaching his pitch limit. Meyer struck out seven Clippers hitters, but he also struggled with command and issued four free passes. His ERA now stands at 3.79 and he has 49 strikeouts in 40.1 innings in 2014.

Right-hander Alex Meyer, the Twins' No. 3 prospect, threw five no-hit innings Thursday and Triple-A Rochester defeated Columbus, 5-4.

Meyer, ranked No. 25 on MLBPipeline.com's Top 100 Prospects list, struck out seven batters and walked four in five scoreless innings. Because he is on a strict pitch count at Rochester, he left the game after throwing 79 pitches.

Right-hander Deolis Guerra relieved Meyer and kept the no-hitter going through the sixth inning. But the combined effort ended with two outs in the seventh when outfielder Carlos Moncrief, the Indians' No. 10 prospect, pulled a single through the right side of the infield off Guerra.

Meyer hasn't thrown a no-hitter as a professional. He did take a no-hitter into the sixth last year in the Arizona Fall League, only to see it broken up with one out in the inning. He said that was his longest no-hit outing since high school.

With the victory Thursday, Meyer improved to 2-1 with a 3.79 ERA in eight starts this season. He leads the International League with 49 strikeouts and has walked 21 batters in 40 1/3 innings.

saw this update from rotoworld.

Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said Friday that the team plans to limit Alex Meyer's pitch counts this season.

They want to let Meyer pitch the entire season without shutting him down, but will be very cognizant of his workload in each outing. Antony said that Meyer could wind up finishing the season in the bullpen. They'll undoubtedly play things cautiously with their prized young right-hander, so don't expect him to make a big impact in fantasy leagues this year.

what do people think this means in terms of when Meyer could be up with the Twins?

saw this update from rotoworld.

Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said Friday that the team plans to limit Alex Meyer's pitch counts this season.

They want to let Meyer pitch the entire season without shutting him down, but will be very cognizant of his workload in each outing. Antony said that Meyer could wind up finishing the season in the bullpen. They'll undoubtedly play things cautiously with their prized young right-hander, so don't expect him to make a big impact in fantasy leagues this year.

what do people think this means in terms of when Meyer could be up with the Twins?

It means he won't have any fantasy value this season. If he comes up it will probably be out of the bullpen, or his pitch counts will be so low he will rarely pitch deep into games. I am still trying to figure out the theory of these pitch counts and inning limitations? We have a large enough sample size now of guys who have been babied and they are still blowing out there elbows. I don't think there is any way of preventing the UCL from blowing out by lessen pitch counts. Pitching is so stressful on an arm anyway that the whole saving the bullets theory seems logical, but it hasn't proven to work. You have Strasburg, Fernandez, Taillon, Hultzen, Jarrod Parker, Matt Moore, Corbin etc. These are all guys that were handled with extreme care coming up, and even when they did make the big leagues they were often babied for a stretch, and they all still blew out there UCL's/and or Rotator's. Pitch counts and innings limits are like final destination and trying to avoid death, they are just delaying what is ultimately likely the inevitable. The best thing to do is condition pitchers to handle full workloads in the offseason by building up strength and teaching proper mechanics and just hoping it pays off. I just don't see these inning pitch limits and pitch count limits being effective, its delaying development time.

In the future. A specific answer to a specific question.

I could use the strikouts so looking forward to him popping up this year.

He's not ready IMO

Almost 11 K/9 in AAA not enough?

Looked great in his last start on Saturday. 6 shutout innings, 4 hits, 1 BB, and 8 Ks. He looks ready and will probably get the call very soon, especially now that the Twins signed Morales, but the problem is that he's on an innings limit this year. He only threw 105 innings last year, so he will likely be limited to about 135-140 this year. He's already thrown 63, so he probably has somewhere around 75 innings left this year. Even if he gets called up tomorrow, he will only have about 12 starts (if he averages 6 IP/start) until he is shut down.

Looking at his history and comments by the general manager, I think we could expect to see the following from Meyer:

1) approximately 3 more starts in AAA, or 20 more innings for Meyer. That would bring his innings total to about [80].

2) Promote him in early July

3) He would then get about 9 starts, which for him should be around 55 innings (total up to 125)

4) Moved to the bullpen at the end of August

5) Used as a long reliever (1-2 innings per appearance) and is used for about 15-20 innings (bringing the total to 140-145).

They have said they wanted him to play a full season, but will be mindful of innings. They have also stated he may play some time as a RP at the MLB level. I think this schedule meets this requirments and gets him to 140ish innings without too much strain while allowing him MLB experience.

I think it's looking like Trevor may gets called up before him :(

I think it's looking like Trevor may gets called up before him :(

Or neither of them get the call ;). Never heard of this Thursday starter

Alex Meyer threw 78 pitches through 3 innings of scoreless ball yesterday. Meanwhile, May has been dominating.

Is it possible May gets the first crack at the rotation? Meyer gets a cup of coffee in September perhaps in the bullpen....

With each game, it looks less and less likely Meyer is going to see rotation time this year....at all.

Alex Meyer threw 78 pitches through 3 innings of scoreless ball yesterday. Meanwhile, May has been dominating.

Is it possible May gets the first crack at the rotation? Meyer gets a cup of coffee in September perhaps in the bullpen....

With each game, it looks less and less likely Meyer is going to see rotation time this year....at all.

After seeing Nolasco in person yesterday my Alex Meyer radar starting beeping again......................

Hmmm.

Ricky Nolasco will undergo an MRI Tuesday due to soreness in his right elbow.

Nolasco has apparently been pitching through pain all season, which at least partly explains why he's been so awful. The Twins' right-hander has been arguably the worst starter in baseball this season, posting a 5.90 ERA and 1.62 WHIP in the first year of a four-year contract. Especially with the All-Star break coming up, Nolasco seems likely to be placed on the disabled list even if the MRI shows no structural damage.

Rumors around town is that Meyer may stay in Minnesota after the futures games. Keyword being rumors.

Has thrown 4 straight QS in AAA. You have to think he gets the call soon, especially since the Twins currently have Kris Johnson and Yohan Pino as their #4 & #5 starters.

Has thrown 4 straight QS in AAA. You have to think he gets the call soon, especially since the Twins currently have Kris Johnson and Yohan Pino as their #4 & #5 starters.

That would make too much sense. This is the organization that resigned Mike Pelfrey and actually paid him to be in their rotation.

Great start last night for Meyer: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 Ks. 5th QS in a row. What are the Twins waiting for?

Has a 1.77 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP with 45 strike outs in 40.2 innings over his last 7 starts.

Another poor outing, his second in row. At first I assumed this was just part of his in and out command, but then I read this.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/baseball/2014/08/08/greensburgs-meyer-eager-display-strikeout-form-victory-field-saturday-rochester/13770657/

Sounds like the party line, but there seems to be a bit of frustration in there.

Meyer - "There is not much I can do. Wherever they tell me to go, I'm going to go out and pitch. If it's the major league, it's the major league. If it's in A ball, it's in A ball."

I have a feeling he is getting a bit bored. He still has a few command issues, but dominating the way he has and keeps getting passed over has to take something out of you. Frustration sets in and you go from having a great July to a less concentrated outing.

Guess we won't know until he comes up, but now might be a good buy low opportunity for people.

Hopefully it's been communicated to him that he's not getting called up this season due to a strict pitch count but he'll have a chance to complete for the MLB in March.