Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woonga24

Lessons You've Learned This Year

797 posts in this topic

What lessons have you learned playing fantasy football this year that you'll apply next season?

Never get lazy with the WW even if your team is in first and dominating the league. You never know when an injury or situation/change in schedule may cripple you.

6 people like this

What lessons have you learned playing fantasy football this year that you'll apply next season?

Never get lazy with the WW even if your team is in first and dominating the league. You never know when an injury or situation/change in schedule may cripple you.

I agree. Depth is key!

Drafting a good QB1 should be the first priority. They can easily get you 20-30 points each week. Draft a WR1 second. With so many targets given to multiple players, it is difficult to find a reliable WR. Hundreds of RBs get injured every season. Backups can easily supplant starters. Don't draft Arian Foster and David Wilson.

5 people like this

Do not draft unproven players in the first 3 rounds.

This, this and this. And get a good QB especially if they score 6 pts per TD. It can make up for your deficiencies elsewhere.

1 person likes this

The back half of the draft is very valuable and should not be overlooked!

This is where you win leagues!

7 people like this

Don't overvalue RB's.

Don't play fantasy football ever again because it's all a bunch of bull****.

Agree! just look for studs (MCoy, Lynch, AP, Charles....etc!) after that it's all a crap shoot! If you cant score those guys....get the next best QB or WR!

This year there were plenty of back half RBs that made a greater impact then the so called studs in the first round!

Draft durable RBs (Lynch, Peterson types) early.

Know your rookies (Lacy, Stacy, Allen) and guys who are effectively first year players (Julius Thomas) because of injuries

Don't be afraid of bye weeks (I could have had Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and Wes Welker, but was afraid of loading up on 3 receivers with the same bye)

Don't draft a QB who has lost his best receiver, elite TE, and basically every weapon (Brady) as your QB1

And ultimately, nothing is more maddening than being one of the league's top scorers but only being 5-5.

6 people like this

Grab any scrub running back from the wire as opportunity and touches wins championships.

Always start your best players ( i.e. players you drafted high and are doing well) regardless of matchups. Never trust "expert" rankings as they are as clueless as we are.

Dont draft a RB until the 3rd round, go WR/WR or WR/QB or WR/TE

3 people like this

If a player has over 50 pages in his thread before the season starts, do not draft as that player is way overhyped. Good consistent players do not need their own thread

Dont draft Darren McFadden

3 people like this

Fantasy football is akin to gambling.

I think I've learned having an Elite QB improves your chances of winning by a lot.

Always respect your opponent, even if their team is complete s---. The fantasy gods will have fun humiliating you when you lose to them in the season.

Never, never, NEVER, play Jake Locker.

You can't put old wine into new wineskins. Looking @ you SJax.

Fantasy kickers are about as fun as playing Russian Roulette.

3 people like this

Every round is important. Every owner will have guys they hit or miss on in the early rounds so it's your job to acquire as much talent as possible.

1 person likes this

I think I've learned having an Elite QB improves your chances of winning by a lot.

Always respect your opponent, even if their team is complete s---. The fantasy gods will have fun humiliating you when you lose to them in the season.

Never, never, NEVER, play Jake Locker.

I think of it more like the stock market with the added caveat you can't invest in the same stocks your friends are in.

Defenses and Kickers should be drafted in the last two rounds!

I suggest dont even draft a kicker or def! Try to stock pile players and weed out your roster before wk 1 kick off!

1 person likes this

there is some serious inherent risk in benching a rookie QB for a vet or elite QB

ie: Keenum for Rivers this week =[

biggest lesson is to stay ontop of the WW and sell high on players

(snagged T. Wills, Z. Stacy, J. Blackmon, traded blackmon for Rivers)

1 person likes this

akin? it IS gambling...

sage advice here. see also Limp-DMC.