FouLLine

Lucas Giolito - SP WAS

The 16th overall pick in 2012 ended up under going Tommy John Surgery in August 2012.

He came back to start 11 games this year in the minors between A ball and short season low A.

Now he only pitched 36.67 innings last year but he was extremely effective over the small sample. Despite being freshly recovered from TJ. Giolito could end up being a great value as an injury sleeper in some deeper dynasty / keeper leagues.

His final MiLB ratios last year: 1.96 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 9.57 K/9.

A few other cool facts about Lucas Giolito is he was high school teammates with 2012's 7th overall pick Max Fried. Also he is rumored to be able to throw 100 MPH.

I heard He would have been the first overall pick in that draft if not for his TJ surgery... that should give some idea about his talent.

A few other cool facts about Lucas Giolito is he was high school teammates with 2012's 7th overall pick Max Fried. Also he is rumored to be able to throw 100 MPH.

I snatched up both of these guys in my NL-only dynasty draft last year...happy camper!!!

I heard He would have been the first overall pick in that draft if not for his TJ surgery... that should give some idea about his talent.

I heard more that he could have been the first pitcher taken. I think the 3 position players all still would have been taken in that order. But he was rivaling Dylan Bundy as the top highschool pitcher. Until word on his elbow hit.

That's the price the elbow pays for throwing near 100 MPH before you're even 18.

As far as "stuff" goes, he may have the very best in all of the minors. That's ahead of guys like Archie Bradley and Aaron Sanchez. Now it's just a matter if he can keep healthy. His upside is massive.

This guy has shot up the rankings. Anyone been thinking about an ETA on him?

Upside like crazy.

Full time? Probably 2016, might get a taste in 2015. He's not coming up this year, but he's going to be shooting through prospect lists into the top 5 easily. Very very talented and should've already been owned in somewhat competitive dynasties for a while now.

I heard more that he could have been the first pitcher taken. I think the 3 position players all still would have been taken in that order. But he was rivaling Dylan Bundy as the top highschool pitcher. Until word on his elbow hit.

That's the price the elbow pays for throwing near 100 MPH before you're even 18.

There was legit buzz from quite a few outlets that he could have been the first prep RHP to go first overall. His stuff is that filthy, and his mechanics (I believe) were deemed to be that sound. The TJ injury only dropped him to the middle of the first round.

I absolutely love the arm - ceiling is as high as it gets - literally could be the next Fernandez. Giolito = stud.

ETA - There's an article over at MILB.com talking about Giolito being "ready to go" for 2014, in which Giolito says:

MiLB.com: Now that everything is behind you, do you feel like the same pitcher when you're out there?

Giolito: I actually feel better now than I did pre-Tommy John, to be honest. I was on a long throwing program, starting with throwing it 45 feet for two weeks straight and then finally getting to 60 feet. The whole time, I was developing my feel again. My fastball location, my changeup, they're all where they need to be.

Get him now guys… you're gonna be glad you did.

Edited by JFS171

Yeah Jason Parks at Baseball Prospectus put an 80 grade on his fastball and a 70 grade on his curve. Changeup is coming along nicely. I will say that even though I own him in dynasty I'm not a fan of his delivery. Very slow and deliberate to the plate. Awkward looking. But the results are there. I think we should see him sometime in 2016 maybe September. For those who exercise some patience there could be a very big reward waiting at the end.

Yeah Jason Parks at Baseball Prospectus put an 80 grade on his fastball and a 70 grade on his curve. Changeup is coming along nicely. I will say that even though I own him in dynasty I'm not a fan of his delivery. Very slow and deliberate to the plate. Awkward looking. But the results are there. I think we should see him sometime in 2016 maybe September. For those who exercise some patience there could be a very big reward waiting at the end.

I'm in agreement with a lot of this. As I said in December, if you're looking for pure stuff then you're probably not going to find anyone in the minors who can match his until Carlos Rodon gets drafted. If he can stay healthy he's going to dominate.

This guy sounds very serious. Surprised I haven't heard about him from other owners in my dynasty league.. might as well stash him. Wish I could see some video on him. ETA 2016?

Edited by BxBOMBERs28

This guy sounds very serious. Surprised I haven't heard about him from other owners in my dynasty league.. might as well stash him. Wish I could see some video on him. ETA 2016?

That's post-TJS

Does anyone know if he's changed his pre game warmups at all? In highschool I know he did long tosses.

I'd say ETA is probably 2016-2017.

Tough to say though, since he hasn't played a full year of pro ball yet. Will definitely have a better idea after we see him some more after TJ.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894

He will get the Bundy treatment this year and not go more than 5 innings in any start. And that worked real well for Bundy by the way. Got him on my team and not a minor league pitcher i would trade him for

2-0 2.51 ERA 32 IP 22 H 36:14 K:BB

not too shabby, walk rate somewhat high, but otherwise dealing

How is there not more talk about him around here?

I'm assuming because he's owned in every keeper league with a minor league system already and since he has zero to little chance to be in the majors this year.

There's not much to say. He's the most talented arm in the minors...

Why is he such a tough guy to find any info on? The latest update on rotoworld is from August? Really?!? An elite prospect with a kiler arm. Somebody out there has an update.

James Wagner @JamesWagnerWP · 6h 6 hours ago

Class A Potomac released their roster and prospects Lucas Giolito & Reynaldo Lopez aren't on it. Not to be alarmed: they're not hurt. (1/2)

James Wagner @JamesWagnerWP · 6h 6 hours ago

Nats had both young pitchers begin throwing programs with team in Viera to keep an eye on them. They'll be a few weeks behind others. (2/2)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2015/04/07/minor-league-rosters-released-lucas-giolito-reynaldo-lopez-not-at-class-a-potomac-yet/?wprss=rss_nationals

The Nationals’ minor-league affiliates began rolling out their season-opening rosters Tuesday, and the most significant assignment was one that isn’t yet. Lucas Giolito, the Nationals’ top overall prospect, and Reynaldo Lopez, another highly-regarded hard-throwing right-hander, are not on the Class A Potomac roster, where both are expected to pitch this season.

No need for alarm. Neither pitcher is hurt, according to Nationals assistant general manager of player development Doug Harris. The Nationals are cautious with young pitchers, not just those who have undergone Tommy John surgery, as Giolito did in August 2012. Both prospects hit their prescribed innings limits last season.

Giolito, 19, was shut down after 98 innings at Class A Hagerstown last year, his first full professional season. The 2012 first-round pick posted a 2.20 ERA. Lopez, 21, tossed 83 1/3 innings last year between short-season Auburn and Hagerstown. He posted a 1.08 ERA, rising quickly up the top prospects lists because of his high-90s fastball.

Normally, pitchers begin a throwing program during the offseason, but the Nationals asked Giolito and Lopez to do that instead in Viera under the supervision of coaches. So instead of reporting to Potomac when the minor league season starts April 9, they will be a few weeks behind their teammates as they build up their arms for the season.

Both were spotted in Viera last week, playing catch with each other with no visible issues. They’ll remain there during extended spring training before joining a minor league affiliate.

“We wanted to monitor everything they were doing,” Harris said. “Particularly because of the volume they had last year. There are no issues with them. They’re two very talented young arms and we wanted to make sure of the safety of their arms.”

It will be interesting to see what happens with these guys when they are ready. Nats have such a glut of great pitching in both the majors and minors.

Took him in my dynasty league this year, pretty excited. Got wait on him. Hopefully he comes up late next year, but I'm guessing that's a long shot.

I would just love to see him and Strasburg go back-to-back in a meaningful short playoff series (say, 2016).

ETA mid-2016 after Super-2, hands down best stuff in the MILB by far. True legit ace ceiling. FB and curve are already plus-plus pitches. Very good control, now just needs a little more command (which should improve now that he's 2 years post-TJS, last year he pitched under the 18-month window when full command returns IIRC), and the change is actually already OK - but it could be an actual plus pitch. If that happens, well, that's just unfair...but would be fun to watch. :lol:

Most likely finishes year with AA, and then gets the AA/AAA treatment next season before post-Super 2 callup, if it all goes to plan (and so far, he's gone exactly as planned post-TJS). Nats gambled big, and hit home runs big-time with Rendon (when he fell to them) and then Giolito (mid-1st with TJS risk). That's how you build dynasties, hats off to their scouting division (Stras was a lock pick, so can't say they were brilliant, just in the right place at the right time there, but I digress).

It will be interesting to see what happens with these guys when they are ready. Nats have such a glut of great pitching in both the majors and minors.

Assuming the Nats don't resign their guys:

Roark replaces Zim or Fister in 2016

Giolito replaces Stras in 2017

Lopez replaces ? Gio maybe?