FouLLine

Lucas Giolito - SP WAS

How do you value guys like him and Urias in keeper leagues? What range of current MLB pitcher do you slot them in now. Trying to make this a general value discussion and not a BC question. If it belongs there let me know, thanks.

I think him and Urias are the consensus top 2 pitchers. How they are valued really depends on your league format.

How do you value guys like him and Urias in keeper leagues? What range of current MLB pitcher do you slot them in now. Trying to make this a general value discussion and not a BC question. If it belongs there let me know, thanks.

Really apples to oranges. A guy like this is a volitle stock but I would have no intention of selling. The upside, specifically for Gio and Urias, is just too high for me to consdier moving either.

I own both in a 1st year Dynasty. Urias at $4/yr thru 2022, and Giolito for $4.50/yr thru 2020. This is a league where Kershaw went for $45/yr thru 2017 to give some context. My hope is these guys are producing like $25 SP's by 2018-2019. So, tier 3 - 2 area on most rankings.

^Possibly when the rosters expand but he probably wouldn't pitch - just be around the team to see what the show is like so when he's called up in June next season there won't be as much "culture shock" aspect.

Selfishly, I'd love for him to be called up and make 10 relief appearances. SP/RP eligibility for next season. ;)

Selfishly, I'd love for him to be called up and make 10 relief appearances. SP/RP eligibility for next season. ;)

I'd bet against it, but not impossible

^I totally agree with that doubt, but it would be nice.

There's good and bad news.

Bad news:

5 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 K in his second AA start today.

Good news:

Comment From David
Now that Giolito is at AA, how quickly will he move? Is ASB next year a reasonable ETA for his big league debut?

Kiley McDaniel: Nats told me last offseason that once a guy is at AA, he could be called up at any time and the reigns are off. That’s a decent guess.

I think there's an excellent chance we see him in the league this year. Probably as soon as super 2s if the Nats have a hole in their rotation, which I think there's a decent chance someone is injured or sucking.

I think there's an excellent chance we see him in the league this year. Probably as soon as super 2s if the Nats have a hole in their rotation, which I think there's a decent chance someone is injured or sucking.

Agree, I expect Nats to be a playoff team and want to season Lucas down the stretch as he could be a big help in postseason. Exactly when we see him just going to depend on a spot opening up most likely via Strasburg getting injured, or one of Ross/Roark being ineffective and needing to be sent down to AAA (Ross)/moved to pen (Roark).

James Wagner Verified account @JamesWagnerWP

Lucas Giolito faced Werth, Harper, Chris Heisey, Tyler Moore & Trea Turner in live BP. Werth to teammates: "He's scary" & "nobody wants any"

Former Mets GM Steve Phillips saw Giolito the other day. He talked about him on the following podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/mlbnetworkradio/former-mets-gm-steve-phillips-talks-about-his-impressions-of-lucas-giolitto-and-dusty-baker

Needless to say, he was very impressed by what he saw.

Nice performance today:

2IP - 1H - 0BB - 0 R - 3k's.

I think he's up by May/June

Nice performance today:

2IP - 1H - 0BB - 0 R - 3k's.

I think he's up by May/June

I watched his last start.

I definitely think he's up this season.

June according to an unnamed scout via Jayson Stark

I can definitely see that. He needs a little time in the minors to slightly fine tune his delivery and get his control down but he could post a 3.50ish era in the majors today with his stuff.

First injury or opportunity he'll be up.