FouLLine

Lucas Giolito - SP WAS

okay i'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but say he comes up around super 2, worst case a month after, can he realistically make a push for top 35 SP status? or am I being too gun shy here? dare I say the upside is even better right now this season?

will he be on any sort of innings cap? if so, then would the nats delay his call up to ensure he is good to go until september?

okay i'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but say he comes up around super 2, worst case a month after, can he realistically make a push for top 35 SP status? or am I being too gun shy here? dare I say the upside is even better right now this season?

will he be on any sort of innings cap? if so, then would the nats delay his call up to ensure he is good to go until september?

120 IP last year between A+ and AA. He'll certainly be on an innings cap this season. So IMO no way he's making any type of push as a top SP this season.

My guess is 150-160 IP this season, a September call, with an eye toward 2017 and 180-190 IP.

Any update on when/if he's going to get the call? Washington is trying to "win now" with all that $$ they gave Scherzer....

Any update on when/if he's going to get the call? Washington is trying to "win now" with all that $$ they gave Scherzer....

Probably in about a month or so. Per usual with the Super 2 rules and all that.

Good stuff. I like the 3 grades per tool, more differentiation..

Giving up lots of hits and walks in AA. Hopefully he's just working on his stuff. At least the innings are being saved for a potential call-up.

Um, what's the hype on this guy? Stats are brutal. Like the poster above said, does anybody know if he is working on things? K/BB is 5th starter-ish

Like this guy long term like everyone else, but expectations needs to be tempered this season. Expecting him to be and SP1 or 2 for 1/2 a season might be asking too much and you have an excellent chance to be disappointed.

There is a good possibility he won't be a consistent mixed league asset until next year.

That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about numbers this early

I live in Harrisburg, but have been too busy to get to the park the nights he's pitched. I'll try to get eyes on him a couple times this year before his inevitable promotion

Um, what's the hype on this guy? Stats are brutal.

hahah, classic

Thanks for the constructive response. I thought this was an information thread. I guess it's just snarky response after snarky response, except for Brock, thanks for the info.

Edited by Grace17

hahah, classic

Thanks for the constructive response. I thought this was an information thread. I guess it's just snarky response after snarky response, except for Brock, thanks for the info.

well stats dont mean a whole lot after 2 or 3 starts and anyone who has seen him throw at all or has read anything about him know his stuff is ++ and he will dominate as a front line ace at some point in the future

my concern is gio, ross, and roark are throwing the ball well

is lucas a better hold over glasnow/taillion? or will lucas force his way into the rotation even if there is no room for him?

Edited by colepenhagen

hahah, classic

well stats dont mean a whole lot after 2 or 3 starts and anyone who has seen him throw at all or has read anything about him know his stuff is ++ and he will dominate as a front line ace at some point in the future

my concern is gio, ross, and roark are throwing the ball well

is lucas a better hold over glasnow/taillion? or will lucas force his way into the rotation even if there is no room for him?

Without a doubt, someone will get hurt or start to suck. I doubt there won't be a place for Glasnow at some point this year.

Giolito vs Freeland tomorrow. Should be a great duel

hahah, classic

that's because your post was ridiculous. 3 starts and 11 plus innings with a sub 2.5 ERA? 13 hits in 11 plus innings isn't "brutal" 2.31 ERA is certainly not "brutal". The 9 K's are not "brutal". Just the 8 walks are. Like I said. C'mon man.

Edited by rperricone

hahah, classic

Scouting, for both real life and fantasy, is built on both stats as well as the eye test. One piece only tells part of the story. When that part of the story is 11 innings in sample size, it tends to get discounted, especially when there's an entire career of solid numbers and scouts saying "he looks like a true ace"

Truthfully, when it comes to fantasy, what scouts say tends to take precedence for me over what the numbers say. It wasn't long ago Syndergaard was posting ERA's north of 4.5 in AAA. Scouts didn't waver much.

TLDR: Take the small sample size with a grain of salt, because all of the underlying reports have been overwhelmingly positive for years.

And maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way, but when it comes to blue-chip prospects, I often think of their back-end time in the minors in the same way that I think of spring training for big leaguers. The prospect may be technically ready to ascend, but could be blocked or not quite there yet on their third pitch, so they're kept down and told to work on a specific skill set and not worry about outcomes. Maybe Giolito was throwing an inordinate amount of change-ups and testing it out in different counts. Point being, sometimes the box score isn't indicative when it comes to blue chip prospects.

And maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way, but when it comes to blue-chip prospects, I often think of their back-end time in the minors in the same way that I think of spring training for big leaguers. The prospect may be technically ready to ascend, but could be blocked or not quite there yet on their third pitch, so they're kept down and told to work on a specific skill set and not worry about outcomes. Maybe Giolito was throwing an inordinate amount of change-ups and testing it out in different counts. Point being, sometimes the box score isn't indicative when it comes to blue chip prospects.

I agree. I don't understand all the hoo-hah about his last few outings. He's the consensus top "major league ready, ace upside" prospect, or top 3 at the least.

Giolito vs Freeland tomorrow. Should be a great duel

Postponed unfortunately. However, I got tix for the Sens game tomorrow so I can finally see him in person. I'll give you guys a nice scouting report haha

I think he's a lot like Gerrit Cole. The stuff is so good and so filthy, it's going to take him longer to learn to harness it all. The numbers haven't quite caught up with potential yet. So while it may take a year longer than we all hoped, I still firmly believe Giolito is going to be real good.