FouLLine

Lucas Giolito - SP WAS

In regards to the question about the slow start sort of thing, it's still super early. He's thrown 11.2 innings (pitches tonight by the way). Plus, scouting the stat line can be dangerous. As others have noted, we don't know if the club has him working more on his change or what have you.

However, I have found some info regarding his last two starts (17th vs AA PHI and 22nd vs AA BAL):

April 17th start:

Adam McInturff@WAdam_McInturff Apr 17

.@federalbaseball Giolito's line won't look pretty, pitching slightly better than line. Defense not picking him up early in game.

.@federalbaseball Giolito FB 93-97 today; 80-82 true CB, off/on strikes, sometimes just a chase pitch. 84-87 CH.

Giolito done after 3.2 innings. Threw basic strikes fine, but command within zone why they put lots of balls in play.

And here's a 10:30 minute video of Giolito's last start (22nd):

With a kid like this and the talent level he brings to the table along with his close proximity to the majors, I'm really just concerned about him staying healthy. As long as he stays healthy, he'll be fine IMO and should be up sometime later this season. He's just too talented. It's just 3 starts. Way too early to start worrying about him. That's just my 2 cents though. Watch him throw a 7 inning, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 K's type of game tonight. Kid's stuff is just sick. I don't know how else to describe it other than that. Future potential CY Young sort of stuff. So I'm not worried. I don't think we should be worried. If the Giolito owner in your league is worried, I'd be doing everything in my power to acquire him if I were you.

2 crap starts out of 3 for Roark.

Tick tock!

lol

Damn you for those 15Ks Roark!!!

In regards to the question about the slow start sort of thing, it's still super early. He's thrown 11.2 innings (pitches tonight by the way). Plus, scouting the stat line can be dangerous. As others have noted, we don't know if the club has him working more on his change or what have you.

However, I have found some info regarding his last two starts (17th vs AA PHI and 22nd vs AA BAL):

April 17th start:

Adam McInturff@WAdam_McInturff Apr 17

.@federalbaseball Giolito's line won't look pretty, pitching slightly better than line. Defense not picking him up early in game.

.@federalbaseball Giolito FB 93-97 today; 80-82 true CB, off/on strikes, sometimes just a chase pitch. 84-87 CH.

Giolito done after 3.2 innings. Threw basic strikes fine, but command within zone why they put lots of balls in play.

And here's a 10:30 minute video of Giolito's last start (22nd):

With a kid like this and the talent level he brings to the table along with his close proximity to the majors, I'm really just concerned about him staying healthy. As long as he stays healthy, he'll be fine IMO and should be up sometime later this season. He's just too talented. It's just 3 starts. Way too early to start worrying about him. That's just my 2 cents though. Watch him throw a 7 inning, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 K's type of game tonight. Kid's stuff is just sick. I don't know how else to describe it other than that. Future potential CY Young sort of stuff. So I'm not worried. I don't think we should be worried. If the Giolito owner in your league is worried, I'd be doing everything in my power to acquire him if I were you.

That would be ME in our league. You'll have to pry him away from my cold dead hands.

Ĵ.P. @Jaypers413 39m39 minutes ago

Harrisburg's Lucas Giolito's line - 4 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K.

I missed the first two innings, but did catch the 3rd and 4th innings. 3rd inning was weird. He walked a guy with 1 out. Then, he got the next batter to hit it right to the second baseman (Bostick) as the guy on first was stealing, but he fumbled the ball (play by play guy commented on how the field was wet) and everyone was safe.

It might have been the batter after that where he sort of sliced one into left field, the LF was running towards it, he missed it with his glove and the ball hit his shin as he was moving towards the ball, and the ball got away slightly. Guy on 2nd scored, guy on 1st got to third. Next batter grounded out to second resulting in another run scored.

Threw a lot of FB's (didn't have any velo readings though, but I'd say he topped out at the usual 97-98 by my untrained eye if I had to guess). Of course, I missed his clean first two innings and jinxed him when I started watching in the 3rd. Saw a few nasty curves. Got a K on one of those curves I saw.

I'll try to catch the first two innings on replay later if I can.

Not coming up with those stats and Roark dealing.

Edited by Grace17

bold analysis

bold analysis

Sorry, to obvious? Joe Ross dominating is a block also. Looks like he would have to wait for an injury. Happy his inning are being limited.

bold analysis

Sorry, to obvious? Joe Ross dominating is a block also. Looks like he would have to wait for an injury. Happy his inning are being limited.

Joe Ross isn't a block, Ross is expected to be good and they hope to use him for a while.

Someone WILL get hurt.

bold analysis

Did nobody else get the "bold" joke?

bold analysis

Did nobody else get the "bold" joke?

I found it very funny

bold analysis

Oh and yeah, it was a joke :)

and it was a great one.

I was at this game. A couple quick takeaways:

1. It was between a mist and a light rain the entire evening was between 40-50 degrees all night. Subpar pitching conditions to say the least.

2. When he missed, it wasn't just in one spot that would make it easy to identify the issue (ie, dragging arm, hip opening too soon/not soon enough, etc). He'd paint the black and explode the mit, then miss by a foot and a half. There has to be a mechanical/repetition/muscle memory issue. Correctable, but just takes time.

3. Now for the good. When the dude was on, he wasn't just unhittable, Bowie couldn't even foul tip the ball. Kid throws hard and his breaking stuff looked damn good (again, when it was on). Whiffs on strike outs made the guys look foolish.

4. Also, Harrisburg was kicking the ball all over the place. Had an easy inning-ending dp to second base that got booted. Lead to a bleeder down the line for a couple runs. Line would have been much cleaner with better defense behind him.

I'd really like to see him pitch in dry conditions, I believe the rain really affected his performance (I know, a captain obvious moment). Regardless, based on what I saw, he isn't ready for the Nats rotation yet and it could drag into this summer until his consistency picks up. His raw talent is very evident, however. When he puts it all together, he'll be a hell of a starter.

As far as what you would expect from a top pitching prospect, he's been pretty awful since making the jump to AA last year. I'll admit, I only chose to draft/stash him due to the hype of being "the #1 pitching prospect" but honestly, if you can't dominate AA hitters, you can't do it in MLB. He is very clearly not ready. 1.8 WHIP added to his 1.35 WHIP from AA last year - he's done nothing to prove he's ready to be called up this year. Then you have a solid Nats rotation that doesn't look like it's going to change. I really regret stashing him instead of Glasnow, Snell, and a few other guys. Even if he does get called up, there's no way, based on his lackluster performance, that I can feel confident in him actually being a solid contributer on my fantasy team.

Everyone gets so sensitive about anything that's even remotely negative when it comes to Giolito. Giolito has a 1.85 WHIP...but he's also an extremely talented young arm.

It's not time to panic...this happens, but it's also evidence that he could use more time to work on command in the minor leagues. He's a future star...just give it time!

Everyone gets so sensitive about anything that's even remotely negative when it comes to Giolito. Giolito has a 1.85 WHIP...but he's also an extremely talented young arm.

It's not time to panic...this happens, but it's also evidence that he could use more time to work on command in the minor leagues. He's a future star...just give it time!

Give it time, and I'm sure he will be. Not sure that time is this year though

I know it is not time to panic, but in the end, it is about results. I know this kid has an amazing arm and will probably pan out. However, as an owner it is discouraging to see a 1.84 WHIP and a K/BB that suggest he doesn't have even close to ace command (or major league starter command at this point). Again, no panic, but it's going to be tough holding an NA spot all year when I thought I would be looking at a June call up. And of course that still might happen. But at this point I'd much rather be a Glasnow owner based on results and projected stuff that isn't much different than Giolito's (and much more likely MLB rotation opening) . Urias also looks better but probably behind De Leon (interesting guy, btw).

But can anybody make a case for Giolito in the Nats rotation at this point? Roark would need to really implode and with the way Giolito is not locating his pitches and walking people, it's hard to imagine Cole or Voth would not get the first call at this point. I really, really hope I'm wrong. I made a huge gambling trading for this guy.

Obviously given the arm, he has great upside in a keeper league. Everyone knows that.

But... yeah, I didn't buy into the hype with him as far as redraft leagues go coming into the year. His numbers in A+/AA last year weren't exactly aww inspiring.

Guys like Jose Berrios, Tyler Glasnow, Blake Snell, and Jose de Leon, among others, all had superior numbers relative to their level of competition, and yet were generally getting much less hype than Giolito as far as redraft leagues go.

He may have a live arm, but until you see him start to dominate in AA, you can't expect him to be even decent in the major leagues.

With the way he is going right now, I see him as not being even close to being worth holding onto in redraft leagues.

I know it is not time to panic, but in the end, it is about results. I know this kid has an amazing arm and will probably pan out. However, as an owner it is discouraging to see a 1.84 WHIP and a K/BB that suggest he doesn't have even close to ace command (or major league starter command at this point). Again, no panic, but it's going to be tough holding an NA spot all year when I thought I would be looking at a June call up. And of course that still might happen. But at this point I'd much rather be a Glasnow owner based on results and projected stuff that isn't much different than Giolito's (and much more likely MLB rotation opening) . Urias also looks better but probably behind De Leon (interesting guy, btw).

But can anybody make a case for Giolito in the Nats rotation at this point? Roark would need to really implode and with the way Giolito is not locating his pitches and walking people, it's hard to imagine Cole or Voth would not get the first call at this point. I really, really hope I'm wrong. I made a huge gambling trading for this guy.

I wouldn't be holding Giolito in redraft leagues. People got carried away initially about his ability to transition to the majors. If he does come up in 2016, he's probably going to struggle. I think he's great in dynasty and keeper leagues, but it might be time to panic if you are counting on him in a redraft league.

Yeah, now is time to panic. This guy is not even mediocre in AA. Today: 3 innings, 6 runs, 5 hits, 4BB today..and he's still pitching. At this rate there is no chance he sniffs the majors in the next few months. He must be hurt.

Edited by Grace17

Edit: Not pitching into the 4th.

I'll wait to hear how great his stuff was today..

Listened to part of the game on the radio. The most consistent thing about him was his inconsistency (again). Heard the phrase "missed high" about a dozen times and 75% of those were with off-spreed pitched.

Cold, damp day again in Harrisburg (not making excuses, just noting that he got a lousy weather start twice in a row), but like I said a few posts ago there is some kind of mechanical/repetition issue for Giolito that is going to take a lot more time to rectify than people initially thought. He threw 73 pitches and only 39 strikes today.

Listened to part of the game on the radio. The most consistent thing about him was his inconsistency (again). Heard the phrase "missed high" about a dozen times and 75% of those were with off-spreed pitched.

Cold, damp day again in Harrisburg (not making excuses, just noting that he got a lousy weather start twice in a row), but like I said a few posts ago there is some kind of mechanical/repetition issue for Giolito that is going to take a lot more time to rectify than people initially thought. He threw 73 pitches and only 39 strikes today.

Bad. Something is really wrong with this guy. Anybody have any better look or knowledge. Thank Lo, I appreciate your analysis.

This is interesting:

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/05/05/klawchat-5516/

Mark: Have you heard any reports about Giolito this Spring? Tiny sample size, but he’s struggled a bit in AA, and I was wondering if he was focusing on the changeup, and/or if he’d had any dip in velocity.

Klaw: I heard Maddux tinkered with his delivery, which, if true, would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of a pitching coach doing with a prospect, because Giolito’s delivery did not need tinkering.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894

This is interesting:

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/05/05/klawchat-5516/

Mark: Have you heard any reports about Giolito this Spring? Tiny sample size, but he’s struggled a bit in AA, and I was wondering if he was focusing on the changeup, and/or if he’d had any dip in velocity.

Klaw: I heard Maddux tinkered with his delivery, which, if true, would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of a pitching coach doing with a prospect, because Giolito’s delivery did not need tinkering.

God damn. That is not good. At least he has the arm, trade him to the cubs and let Bosio fix him like he's done with Arrieta.

Edited by Grace17