FouLLine

Lucas Giolito - SP WAS

This is interesting:

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/05/05/klawchat-5516/

Mark: Have you heard any reports about Giolito this Spring? Tiny sample size, but hes struggled a bit in AA, and I was wondering if he was focusing on the changeup, and/or if hed had any dip in velocity.

Klaw: I heard Maddux tinkered with his delivery, which, if true, would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of a pitching coach doing with a prospect, because Giolitos delivery did not need tinkering.

Hmmm.

Need more details. Was the tinkering to eliminate the timing issue that he used to have in an effort to keep him healthy?

This is interesting:

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/05/05/klawchat-5516/

Mark: Have you heard any reports about Giolito this Spring? Tiny sample size, but hes struggled a bit in AA, and I was wondering if he was focusing on the changeup, and/or if hed had any dip in velocity.

Klaw: I heard Maddux tinkered with his delivery, which, if true, would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of a pitching coach doing with a prospect, because Giolitos delivery did not need tinkering.

Interesting. I noticed some things about his delivery. One thing that stands out is that instead of bringing his leg straight up and down (generally helps you open your hip timely and drive down the hill), he has a small move where his front foot kicks back behind his right knee slightly. I donno if he has always thrown that way, but it's a very out of place motion considering how fluid everything else looks.

Like I said before, he is inconsistent from inning to inning and at bat to at bat. If he isn't in rhythm with his delivery, then that explains everything.

Edited by LoGo

6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K tonight vs Richmond

Only 79 pitches which is odd, but threw 56 strikes (70.8%). So that's encouraging

6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K tonight vs Richmond

Only 79 pitches which is odd, but threw 56 strikes (70.8%). So that's encouraging

Pretty sure they are saving his innings for when he's called up.

"Pretty sure they are saving his innings for when he's called up"

Which at this point looks like September...

"Pretty sure they are saving his innings for when he's called up"

Which at this point looks like September...

Showed improvement in his start last night. And as brock has said many times, someone will get injured.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/flying-squirrels/article_bd00af95-f7cf-5e10-a13e-0f053075ddef.html

Giolito shook off some recent control problems, threw a fastball that settled at 95 mph, and frequently fooled the Squirrels with his change-up. He allowed two runs in six innings.

“I’ve been struggling with a lot of mechanical things from the start of the year and I’ve been working really hard to break some bad habits and come out of that,” Giolito said. “I thought today was a step in the right direction.

“I’m going to keep working, keep building off that.”

Washington used the 16th pick in the 2012 draft on Giolito, a 6-foot-6 255-pounder. He underwent Tommy John surgery in August of that year. The Nationals brought him along very carefully upon his return.

“When you watch him, you can see what everybody raves about,” Harrisburg manager Matt LeCroy said. “He’s just got to put it all together, and at some point, I’m sure he’s going to help our big league club.”

Giolito began this Harrisburg season a bit behind, according to LeCroy, because Giolito spent nearly the entire spring training with the big league team, though he worked only 6ª innings with the Nats in Florida.

“We kind of had to build him up, so to speak,” LeCroy said. Heading into Monday’s start, Giolito had walked 14 in 18ª innings, with 17 strikeouts. He walked one Monday.

“He’s getting closer each time out,” LeCroy said. “His numbers are probably not where he wants them to be, but from a coaching-staff standpoint, he’s not far off from being what everybody expects him to be.”

http://www.richmond.com/sports/flying-squirrels/article_bd00af95-f7cf-5e10-a13e-0f053075ddef.html

Giolito shook off some recent control problems, threw a fastball that settled at 95 mph, and frequently fooled the Squirrels with his change-up. He allowed two runs in six innings.

“I’ve been struggling with a lot of mechanical things from the start of the year and I’ve been working really hard to break some bad habits and come out of that,” Giolito said. “I thought today was a step in the right direction.

“I’m going to keep working, keep building off that.”

Washington used the 16th pick in the 2012 draft on Giolito, a 6-foot-6 255-pounder. He underwent Tommy John surgery in August of that year. The Nationals brought him along very carefully upon his return.

“When you watch him, you can see what everybody raves about,” Harrisburg manager Matt LeCroy said. “He’s just got to put it all together, and at some point, I’m sure he’s going to help our big league club.”

Giolito began this Harrisburg season a bit behind, according to LeCroy, because Giolito spent nearly the entire spring training with the big league team, though he worked only 6ª innings with the Nats in Florida.

“We kind of had to build him up, so to speak,” LeCroy said. Heading into Monday’s start, Giolito had walked 14 in 18ª innings, with 17 strikeouts. He walked one Monday.

“He’s getting closer each time out,” LeCroy said. “His numbers are probably not where he wants them to be, but from a coaching-staff standpoint, he’s not far off from being what everybody expects him to be.”

This is the most positive and informative piece I have read on him in a while. Explains what has been going on. Thanks.

That is some good stuff there. Hopefully he starts making strides and gets back on the fast track asap.

Heard some guy with the Nationals today... Giolito is probably up in September. Cole & Vott or however you spell it are likely next in line with Cole getting a call for the double header this weekend

5 walks and 4 strikeouts on Saturday. 0 ER's but he had 3 runs total. Which means he didn't pitch out of the jams. 98 pitches total 54 for strikes in 5 2/3. Just all around terrible.

This guy is starting to remind me of the year I held Archie Bradley when he was the overall #1 pitching prospect. All hype no results. Say what you want about not scouting stat lines, but in the end baseball is a game of results. Looking grim for his prospect of being called up before Sept as Kidtwentytwo pointed out. I hope he gets that chance as the Nats look like they will be playing for something at the time. I don't know if they could afford a guy who is having a below average year in AA on the staff or in the pen if they are playing for something.

80 grade fastball and curve if I recall correctly. Good makeup. Composed young lad.

Well over a k per inning in most of his minor league seasons.

6'6, great pitching frame. Excellent organization.

he is struggling a little bit, sure. I thought he looked really good in spring training. looked like a major leaguer imo.

I'm not jumping ship like the lot of you. I'm holding onto him as a keeper. If you snag him now at great value (say, round 12 and beyond), in 2-3 years when he is a bonafide stud, that will be amazing value. Sure, he could go the way of Archie Bradley. Or he could become the next Gerrit Cole level pitcher, and you'll have him locked up as a late rounder. It's a gamble, but good things come to those who wait.

80 grade fastball and curve if I recall correctly. Good makeup. Composed young lad.

Well over a k per inning in most of his minor league seasons.

6'6, great pitching frame. Excellent organization.

he is struggling a little bit, sure. I thought he looked really good in spring training. looked like a major leaguer imo.

I'm not jumping ship like the lot of you. I'm holding onto him as a keeper. If you snag him now at great value (say, round 12 and beyond), in 2-3 years when he is a bonafide stud, that will be amazing value. Sure, he could go the way of Archie Bradley. Or he could become the next Gerrit Cole level pitcher, and you'll have him locked up as a late rounder. It's a gamble, but good things come to those who wait.

Agreed. He's a great buy in dynasty right now. Not much chance his stock will ever be lower. One or two dominant starts and he will have everyone back on his bandwagon.

Didn't Noah Syndergaard have a rough go of it back in 2014? Perhaps not an apples-to-apples comparison, but it's pertinent regardless. Sure, his 2016 performance to date leave some things to be desired. Would you rather he turn out to be Cole/Syndergaard on someone else's team or a bust on yours? Seems like the risk-reward lies heavily in the "continue to hold" camp.

I don't get the rush for him to be up. He has the stuff, but he has to harness it. He had 47 IP last year at AA, and 30 IP this year. They don't need him in the rotation. Why not let him figure it out in AA this year, maybe AAA by the end of it and let him go for a spot out of ST next year?

He is still 21 until July. As much as I want him up, he hasn't been good this year. Why add the pressure?

I seem to remember Bumgarner sucking for a while

Yeah it depends on league type. Mine is a "6 keeper" league with no minor league/NA slot so it's hard to carry someone who may not be up till much later in the season...

Ive been struggling with a lot of mechanical things from the start of the year and Ive been working really hard to break some bad habits and come out of that, Giolito said. I thought today was a step in the right direction."

This is what I was saying in my past few posts, he just looked uncomfortable with his delivery. Once his consistency returns, kid will be very good. Don't see his type of stuff in AA very much/very long.

I don't get the rush for him to be up. He has the stuff, but he has to harness it. He had 47 IP last year at AA, and 30 IP this year. They don't need him in the rotation. Why not let him figure it out in AA this year, maybe AAA by the end of it and let him go for a spot out of ST next year?

He is still 21 until July. As much as I want him up, he hasn't been good this year. Why add the pressure?

I can think of a few reasons. The Nats have premium talent (Harper, Scherzer, Strasburg, Rendon) all in or near their prime years. They have an opportunity to win a championship this year. Why not throw all their chips onto the table? That's what their division rivals have done, and look where they ended up.

Let's say Giolito makes a few tweaks, comes up and gives them 80% of what Matz and Thor did for the Mets last year.

Suddenly they have a rotation of 1. Scherzer 2. Strasburg 3. Gio 4. Ross 5. Giolito with Roark serving as a valuable relief arm. With Giolito's talent/upside, that could be a dynamite rotation. I know Roark is good at times, but opponents would breathe a sigh of relief facing him opposed to the A+ arm of Giolito.

I get the thinking: Roark has been solid and you don't want to rush Giolito's development. But if the ultimate goal of a franchise is to win a championship, Giolito should be up sooner than later. Facing the Phillies and Braves is like Triple A anyway....