FouLLine

Lucas Giolito - SP WAS

But if the ultimate goal of a franchise is to win a championship, Giolito should be up sooner than later.

Not based on what I've seen this year. Dude would get rocked on the Show right now. Until he can be consistent in the strike zone, he won't even get bumped to AAA.

not worth stashing in redraft. not even ready for triple A yet

Curious to see if they actually send him to AAA. I remember a chat with McDaniel when he was still with FG back in late last summer where he said something to the effect of, "Nats officials told me once a guy is in AA, they could be called up at any time," or something close to that.

Obviously, a lot has changed since that quote. And Giolito will need to string together some dominant outings here, which I fully believe he will at some point. But if that quote is still applicable, AAA may not be part of the plan. Perhaps the slow start has changed things, I don't know. But like I said, if that quote is still applicable, after he irons out his delivery/mechanics here in AA and puts together several impressive outings (which I think he will at some point), a call up from AA to the big club may not be out of the question.

Seems like they messed with his mechanics for some reason. Didn't seem like he needed it..

I don't understand this negativity. Chill. He's still the best arm in the minors. He'll iron it out.

I don't understand this negativity. Chill. He's still the best arm in the minors. He'll iron it out.

Agreed. I see a lot of arms come through Harrisburg and he has the best raw stuff since Zimmerman (Strasburg only made a couple starts, but was also amazing). His issues are all correctable.

I just wanted to emphasize that folks should temper their expectations for him this early in the season. He'll get things fixed in HBG then if he can continue it at AAA, he should get a call. I'd just be surprised if it happens as early as many of us had hoped based on the starts I've seen him have.

Today's line: 5 IP 5H 5Ks 2BB 2 ER

Edited by tm30

Per Matt Eddy at Baseball America (in response to a question about whether we should be concerned about Giolito):

"Yes, I think concern is warranted. Giolito has pulled off the hat trick of disconcerting trends at Double-A thus far: more walks, more hits, fewer strikeouts. His 3.86 ERA doesn’t look that *bad* but credit him with unearned runs and he has allowed 6.23 R/9."

Per Matt Eddy at Baseball America (in response to a question about whether we should be concerned about Giolito):

"Yes, I think concern is warranted. Giolito has pulled off the hat trick of disconcerting trends at Double-A thus far: more walks, more hits, fewer strikeouts. His 3.86 ERA doesn’t look that *bad* but credit him with unearned runs and he has allowed 6.23 R/9."

If someone in your league is wanting to sell him because of concerns like this I'd go buy. I'm not saying he hasnt had some struggles early this season as a pitcher related to his mechanics and such but weather has been lousy and his last few starts have been vast improvements. He's been very open about some struggles with fastball command throughout his career and how he needs to continue to work on that and after a rough beginning of the season it looks like hes headed in right direction. Definitely temper expectation about when he gets to big leagues, as I think Austin Voth is ahead of him there anyways, but long term I'd be looking to buy:. his stuff, confidence, pitch mix, etc. all have the makings of an eventual ace to me.

There's nothing wrong with people being concerned.. This is a fantasy baseball discussion board, after all. He's obviously having some sort of issues that he will have to work through. And right now, I could make the argument that he's definitely not the best arm in the minors based off performances.. Does he have the most potential? Yes.. Best? No

nb (philly): I know that the season is still relatively young and the sample size small, but is there reason to be concerned with Giolito's control issues? Have his mechanics changed at all? Thanks!

Matt Eddy: Yes, I think concern is warranted. Giolito has pulled off the hat trick of disconcerting trends at Double-A thus far: more walks, more hits, fewer strikeouts. His 3.86 ERA doesn’t look that *bad* but credit him with unearned runs and he has allowed 6.23 R/9.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-may-20/#KipJwhelot08Vx1A.99

Urias is

If someone in your league is wanting to sell him because of concerns like this I'd go buy.

Sure, depending on what you'd need to give up it might be a great time to send some offers out there since it's possible his value may never be lower in a dynasty. I'd probably be a bit hesitant to give up similar type assets unless I had a surplus at a given position, but I can understand salivating over the potential skill set payoff for sure.

Urias is

Coming from a Urias owner.

Biased much?

I would rather have Urias at this moment than Giolito. For this year, Urias looks much more likely to be up sooner. Only concern is it might be in a relief role. Giolito's debut is nowhere near imminent. Urias could be better long term too, both guys have been near the top of the prospect ranks for a couple years now. It's not like Urias usurping Giolito as best pitching prospect is some guy that came out of nowhere. 25 Scoreless inning streak.

Doesn't mean Gio won't be good long term. Still a ton of optimism, just not "save your team in redraft leagues" optimism.

A little adversity and everyone scatters. Its amazing. This guy is still the highest ceiling arm in the minors.

I would rather have Urias at this moment than Giolito. For this year, Urias looks much more likely to be up sooner. Only concern is it might be in a relief role. Giolito's debut is nowhere near imminent. Urias could be better long term too, both guys have been near the top of the prospect ranks for a couple years now. It's not like Urias usurping Giolito as best pitching prospect is some guy that came out of nowhere. 25 Scoreless inning streak.

Doesn't mean Gio won't be good long term. Still a ton of optimism, just not "save your team in redraft leagues" optimism.

A MR is going to save your team this year in redrafts?!

Where did he say a MR was going to save his team in redrafts? He simply said he'd rather have Urias than Giolito at this moment and that while there's still a ton of optimism on Giolito, it's not "save your team in redraft leagues" optimism.

He also said his only concern with Urias is that he might pitch in middle relief.

Where did he say a MR was going to save his team in redrafts? He simply said he'd rather have Urias than Giolito at this moment and that while there's still a ton of optimism on Giolito, it's not "save your team in redraft leagues" optimism.

He also said his only concern with Urias is that he might pitch in middle relief.

That's kind of a big concern. Correct me if I'm wrong but a middle reliever doesn't quite hold as much weight as a starting pitcher, especially in a standard league without holds and such. As good as Urias is, how much value will he have if he's only pitching a few innings a week?

That's kind of a big concern. Correct me if I'm wrong but a middle reliever doesn't quite hold as much weight as a starting pitcher, especially in a standard league without holds and such. As good as Urias is, how much value will he have if he's only pitching a few innings a week?

Poor value, but he's 19. Even as a starter, he might only being pitching 5 innings a game. Without the upside to go late into games, theres a lot less value as a starter too.

Urias isn't going to save your redraft team either.

Wait, no one is saying that Urias potentially pitching in middle relief isn't a concern for his fantasy value in 2016 redraft leagues - it is. What brockpapersizer was trying to convey is that given Giolito's struggles this season he more or less doesn't see him as having much, if any, value in 2016 redraft leagues (even though he still could have immense future value), and that he would rather have Urias than Giolito for 2016 because Urias will likely be up sooner (albeit in a potential middle relief role). If Urias does come up in middle relief, then neither would have all that much 2016 value (but Urias still more than Giolito if the latter keeps pitching the way he is in AA).

EDIT - this was in response to jesus' post

Edited by Dark One

I mean gun to my head if I had to pick Urias or Giloito for this year or forever I'm taking Urias. They are both uber prospects, might as well bet on the one dominating AAA at a younger age than the older guy struggling in AA.

My point was both were probably the top two Dynasty pitchers going into this season with most people having Giolito above. I think right now that's an easy switch. Whether your drop Giolito behind Glasnow too is debatable, but I could realistically see a case either way.

Urias is

Coming from a Urias owner.

Biased much?

I could have Giolito if I want, as he sits on my wire. So there is zero bias. Urias has the best arm in the minors. IMO

I drafted both (4) years ago in a Dynasty H2H league... people laughed... (smallish bench mind you)

Nobody's laughing now, but I've had tons of offers on Urias, none for Gio FWIW.

I drafted both (4) years ago in a Dynasty H2H league... people laughed... (smallish bench mind you)

Nobody's laughing now, but I've had tons of offers on Urias, none for Gio FWIW.

wasn't he (Urias) like 9, four years ago? lol. j/k

Edited by rperricone1022

I'm looking to buy somewhat low right now, even though I think it will be more of a post All-Star break call up now at the earliest. Still a top3 pitching prospect.