Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TonyGwynnHOF

Early Season Review

I'm interested in comparing the MBL performances this year of Chris B Young, Adam Lind and Alex Gordon.

460086.jpg Gordon has 16 Ks and no BB with sub-mendoza ratios. How much of this can be chalked up to the Muderer's Row of great SPs he's had to face and how much would you assign to rookie butterflies afflicting his plate discipline? Is he known for being an emotional guy? If so, I'm hoping he's simply absorbing the initial shock of playing on the world's greatest stage. Tell me more about his job security and KC depth at 3B.

7738.jpg

I drafted C.B.Young and all I'm getting on my C.B. radio is static and cross-chatter. The hamstring pull doesn't help. How many of you think this young stud can put up Mike Cameron-like #s, say, in the second half?

7859.jpg Lind: Baseball Prospectus ranked him 49th out of the top 100 prospects. As you know ESPN thinks better of him. And now he's out there swinging a hot bat taking advantage of Reed's DL status. How many of you believe his bat is good enough to make up for his defense? Furthermore, how many of you believe he'll collect significant playing time this year? I hate to say this about the Big Hurt, because he's on 2 of my teams, but he is a major injury risk as an old-timer with a tradition of Getting Hurt.

B) This is my first post in Rotoworld. My name is David and I've been a Padre fan my entire life, hence my handle. I was split between TonyGwynnHOF and SlapSingle.

Sparked by a forum member, I thought it'd be a good idea to review some of the prospects and how they're doing at the major league level thus far. Feel free to add your own opinions or bring up other players for discussion.

I'm interested in comparing the MBL performances this year of Chris B Young, Adam Lind and Alex Gordon.

460086.jpg Gordon has 16 Ks and no BB with sub-mendoza ratios. How much of this can be chalked up to the Muderer's Row of great SPs he's had to face and how much would you assign to rookie butterflies afflicting his plate discipline? Is he known for being an emotional guy? If so, I'm hoping he's simply absorbing the initial shock of playing on the world's greatest stage. Tell me more about his job security and KC depth at 3B.

7738.jpg

I drafted C.B.Young and all I'm getting on my C.B. radio is static and cross-chatter. The hamstring pull doesn't help. How many of you think this young stud can put up Mike Cameron-like #s, say, in the second half?

7859.jpg Lind: Baseball Prospectus ranked him 49th out of the top 100 prospects. As you know ESPN thinks better of him. And now he's out there swinging a hot bat taking advantage of Reed's DL status. How many of you believe his bat is good enough to make up for his defense? Furthermore, how many of you believe he'll collect significant playing time this year? I hate to say this about the Big Hurt, because he's on 2 of my teams, but he is a major injury risk as an old-timer with a tradition of Getting Hurt.

B) This is my first post in Rotoworld. My name is David and I've been a Padre fan my entire life, hence my handle. I was split between TonyGwynnHOF and SlapSingle.

Gordon is going to be fine. It's going to take alot more than this for him to be demoted, as the club won't want to move Mark Teahen around again. The true alternative is playing Esteban German, but the club likes him in a utility role. Gordon's poor start represents one of the best buy-low opportunities around, particularly in keeper formats. There's simply nothing in his baseball career to suggest these struggles are anything more than a blip on the radar screen. I would do everything I could to go after him in keeper leagues right now. If you can get him for 80 cents on the dollar in one year formats, do so as well.

Ditto on Chris Young. Too often we expect prospects to come up and perform well right away. I think owners often unfairly penalize players for poor debuts, but it's most often not something that should affect their perception much at all. Young saw a huge jump in his K/BB ratio last year, and it's very encouraging that he's struck out just six times despite his early struggles. The hits will drop in there soon, and he'll add doubles and homers more often as well. The speed will pick up as his OBP climbs. Again, buy low if possible.

Fantasy leaguers shouldn't care about Lind's defense, except to know that it's not enough of a problem to cause the Blue Jays to over look a productive bat. And because of that, fantasy leaguers should have Lind much higher on their prospect lists. He's very capable of running with this job, and turning Reed Johnson back into a platoon player when he finally returns. Throw in the injury potential of a Frank Thomas, and I'd be surprised if Lind didn't end up with 400 big league at-bats this season.

Catcher Jarrod "Salty" Saltalamacchia is off to a hot start at AA after being injured and having a bad season last year, mainly because of a wrist injury. IMO(as a Braves homer) he's as good of a hitting prospect as their is in baseball if not the best, problem is he's blocked by Brian McCann, hopefully the Braves move him to 1B or LF.

He has 6 HR with a batting average near .380!!!!