Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sidearmer

EA Madden V.S. NFL 2K

EA has the NFL exclusive license to use NFL players, teams, stadiums, etc. The license expires sometime this year (I think day after Super Bowl). I had gotten 2k every year before EA bought the license and since I've gotten every Madden and they have almost always disappointed. I remember 2010 being impressive (the jump from ps2/xbox to ps3/xbox360 was a huge jump). The game improved substantially. But since the games have been terrible. The new physics engine is okay on some parts but overall its broken, it is more to make the game "look good" rather than "play good". I was hoping the game would make a substantial improvement with next-gen but it was not even close. On the other hand, NBA 2k14 has looked amazing on next gen (while EA's NBA Live has gotten horrible reviews).

If you haven't checked it out yet, All-Pro Football 2k8 is available for less than $2 most places on XBOX 360 and PS3. When you play the game, once you get used to the controls and figure out the adjustments, the gameplay is much better. The gameplay is years ahead of its time and much better than Madden 25 (2k8 made 6 years earlier!).

I just want a realistic SIM football game again, not the ARCADE game Madden is. If anyone has any real information on the exclusivity license or opinions on the game this is the right thread to post on.

Not much to say except EA and Madden are pathetic. The game will never be good until they start over and build from the ground up. It's obvious after the next gen release the engine is flawed and there isn't much they can do to make the game better or they would have done so. They have spent the last 6 years making a game that is still not as good as 2k8 and that is just sad. The Madden crew were thrilled to add sideline interactions this year and they called it "Living Worlds" but if you go back to 2k8 they still had better "living worlds" 7 years earlier. :rolleyes:

We can only hope the exclusive license ends soon. I'm sure 2k could just port over what would have been 2k9 and it would still be better than Madden25.

Yeah, the living worlds is garbage. I don't have the next gen but based on reviews and watching gameplay on Youtube it is still pretty bad, like nothing is alive, they just added small movements and sounds. 2k8 had the real players there on the sidelines and crowds realistically reacted and cheered (once heard them cheering "DEFENSE!" when I was home up a TD and opponent had ball 4th and 10 going for it. Stuff like that never happens in Madden and makes the game feel so much more alive and like football.

As for the license, I am hoping this thread will be used to report any news anyone has on it, as well as talking about the strengths/weaknesses of Madden and 2K. But if the license is lifted, all 2k needs to do really is just use the gameplay from 2k8 and polish it (use the graphics from NBA 2k14, add more modes, etc.). If it happens they will blow out EA just like they did in NBA.

EA has had no incentive to make Madden better since getting the exclusive deal. There's no need to when it's the only NFL game on the market every year

A lot of people just don't realize how much better Madden could actually get because there is no competition. People need to open their eyes and try APF 2K8 and realize there are so many things Madden could do that they just ignore. Before I played APF 2K8 I thought that maybe the technology and money or resources just aren't there to make a lot of realistic details show up in the game but 2K8 proved that these details can be in there. Football gamers as a whole have generally gotten complacent with the expectations because Madden has barely improved throughout the years and there's no competition.

Anyone that thinks Madden is advanced or actually a good game just play just about any popular Next-gen game and see how much better the graphics are and how the game is completely different from the game's current-gen version. The Next-gen Madden is literally the same game with the fake living worlds added in. And as an earlier poster noted EA basically lied and showed us fake gameplay that never actually occurs.

Then you could also compare the NBA games (that comparison is a joke, and just proves how far football could be right now with competition).

So far NBA 2K14 has beaten Madden 25 in ext-gen sales in the U.S. The fact that football is the most popular sport in the U.S. and NBA is beating them here should help tell the story.

I like Madden, but I will say the game hasn't improved much. The only reason I buy new ones is for the updated rosters. The game has changed very little since it's first year on the PS3.

I like Madden, but I will say the game hasn't improved much. The only reason I buy new ones is for the updated rosters. The game has changed very little since it's first year on the PS3.

And the few innovations that they have had over the years have been busts. Mainly, the year they had the QB passing vision cone.

And the few innovations that they have had over the years have been busts. Mainly, the year they had the QB passing vision cone.

Basically every new gimmick they add is taken out 1 or 2 years later. I actually liked the vision cone, I don't get why they couldn't just keep it and give the option to shut it off. Made the game harder on offense which they need to do. But either way every year they add two gimmicks and usually one is good and one is bad but both are gone within a couple years.

The new trailer looks sick. Hopefully they're not lying this time. LOL

NFL 2K on Dreamcast was amazing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/ea-has-exclusive-license-from-nfl-for-a-couple-more-years/

Really nice to see a big website and big writer talk about this...the issues about this dilemma have been mostly kept within the hardcore gaming community, rather than all gamers. Hopefully this article gets really good publicity.

The fact that they charge $60 for a roster update is awful. Every year their slogan is "the best looking madden ever" ugh really?

At least 2k didn't buy the NBA license to Win the battle. They actually put a superior product and now nba live is dead.

EA! take notes.

Nfl 2k > madden. It even costed $20 (at the time) and it was still a better game.

The fact that they charge $60 for a roster update is awful. Every year their slogan is "the best looking madden ever" ugh really?

At least 2k didn't buy the NBA license to Win the battle. They actually put a superior product and now nba live is dead.

EA! take notes.

Nfl 2k > madden. It even costed $20 (at the time) and it was IS still a better game.

I just want Joe Montana football back.

You might be getting your wish.

Joseph Montana @JoeMontana

ยท Oct 22

So many things happening! Here is a teaser of what is coming. Stay tuned for more. #morethanarosterupdate #montana16

Here is the teaser:

It would be great if this game is made with 2k sports. Sounds like a game would be for next year, coming out during the Summer. Some competition would be great for both games.

I would love to see ESPN NFL football come back. My favorite football game hands down.

Its still my favorite game as well. Play it over Madden presently. You can download updated rosters for 2k5 each year. A lot of different ways to get the rosters, you can just google how to do it. Playing All-Pro Football 2k8 is solid too, although it lacks a lot of the game modes 2k5 had. You can download update NFL rosters onto 2k8 as well. Gameplay is a little smoother there.