Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radicalp10

Bad Championship Teams

24 posts in this topic

I would like to know if any of you seen a bad team win a league?

Any setting/league.

A team that barely made the playoffs and came out with the victory.

last year i won the championship without any star players. well, marc gasol was dropped by an owner who thought (like everyone else did) that he would be out longer with his abdominal tear so he couldnt hold him. i saw the blurb that he was coming back super early and grabbed him.

my roster was:

conley

lowry

kemba

marc gasol

pau gasol

hayward

ilyasova

brook lopez

pekovic

marion

david west

i auto drafted that year. so the team was pretty bad (had lawson and tyson chandler - had to drop both just before playoffs because of injuries). just had big weeks in the playoffs and the other teams had bad ones. i was 6th ranked going into playoffs out of 10 teams.

I won last year without a First Round Pick... (Bynum 6th overall) - 10 team league.

My team was....

By Rounds.

Bynum (6th overall) - Dropped for Kemba Walker before season started.

Aldridge.

Dragic.

Batum.

George.

Curry.

Klay Thompson.

Faried.

Duncan.

Mayo.

Rush. - Dropped for KG somewhere in the middle of the season.

Calderon. - Dropped for Irving after an injury near the playoffs.

Roy. - Dropped JR Smith before the season.

Final Roster.

Curry.

Duncan.

George.

Batum.

Klay Thompson.

Dragic.

Aldridge.

Faried.

Walker.

Irving.

Mayo.

JR. Smith.

KG.

I won last year without a First Round Pick... (Bynum 6th overall) - 10 team league.

My team was....

By Rounds.

Bynum (6th overall) - Dropped for Kemba Walker before season started.

Aldridge.

Dragic.

Batum.

George.

Curry.

Klay Thompson.

Faried.

Duncan.

Mayo.

Rush. - Dropped for KG somewhere in the middle of the season.

Calderon. - Dropped for Irving after an injury near the playoffs.

Roy. - Dropped JR Smith before the season.

Final Roster.

Curry.

Duncan.

George.

Batum.

Klay Thompson.

Dragic.

Aldridge.

Faried.

Walker.

Irving.

Mayo.

JR. Smith.

KG.

well i know you lost fg% those weeks because i remember kyrie shooting like 30% on super high attempts the finals week cause i faced the team that had him in the championship week. kyrie lost him the championship with horrendous shooting and crazy turnovers

well i know you lost fg% those weeks because i remember kyrie shooting like 30% on super high attempts the finals week cause i faced the team that had him in the championship week. kyrie lost him the championship with horrendous shooting and crazy turnovers

2po8qxz.png

I did pretty good. I won at least LOL. I'm "Hot N Sour Soup". I 9-0 someone too LOL.

In the strike shortened 2012 season, this 5-7 team won the title:

PG Chris Paul, LAC PG .478 4.3 1.3 3.6 9.1 2.5 0.1 2.1 19.8 -- 3.6 --

SG Ray Allen, Bos SG .458 2.1 2.3 3.1 2.4 1.1 0.2 1.5 14.2 -- 55.1 --

SF Danny Granger, Ind SF .416 4.1 2.0 5.0 1.8 1.0 0.6 1.8 18.7 -- 28.2 --

PF Kevin Garnett, Bos PF, C .503 2.7 0.1 8.2 2.9 0.9 1.0 1.8 15.8 -- 64.8 --

C DeMarcus Cousins, Sac PF, C .448 4.1 0.0 11.0 1.6 1.5 1.2 2.7 18.1 -- 55.3 --

G Steve Nash, Pho PG .532 2.0 0.9 3.0 10.7 0.6 0.1 3.7 12.5 -- 29.1 --

F Thaddeus Young, Phi SF, PF .507 1.8 0.0 5.2 1.2 1.0 0.7 0.9 12.8 -- 116.1 --

UTIL Jordan Crawford, Wsh SG .400 2.5 1.2 2.6 3.0 0.9 0.1 2.2 14.7 -- 119.2 --

UTIL Tayshaun Prince, Det SF .421 1.4 0.6 4.5 2.4 0.4 0.5 1.2 12.7 -- 140.0 --

UTIL Gordon Hayward, Uta SG, SF .456 2.9 0.8 3.5 3.1 0.8 0.6 1.7 11.8 -- 140.0 --

BENCH 2012 SEASON STATS RESEARCH

SLOT PLAYER, TEAM POS FG% FTM 3PM REB AST STL BLK TO PTS PRK ADP 2012

Bench Leandro Barbosa, Ind SG .425 1.6 1.0 2.0 1.5 0.9 0.1 1.5 11.1 -- 140.0 --

Bench Brendan Haywood, Dal C .518 0.8 0.0 6.0 0.4 0.4 1.0 0.9 5.2 -- 140.0 --

Bench Trevor Booker, Wsh PF .531 1.1 0.0 6.5 0.8 1.0 0.9 1.2 8.4 -- 140.0 --

Bench Chandler Parsons, Hou SF .452 0.7 1.0 4.8 2.1 1.2 0.5 1.3 9.5 -- 140.0 --

Bench Gerald Green, NJ SF, SG .481 1.6 1.4 3.5 1.1 0.9 0.5 1.8 12.9 -- 140.0 --

The last number is the ADP. This team sucked.

1 person likes this

I was 4-7 at week 11, but I went 9-1 the rest of the way. But due to a not so great margin of victory, I entered the playoffs as a 6th seed (.500 record) and still managed to win the whole thing. I don't think my team was THAT bad, I just had some injury issues. I basically streamed the entire season (I had 80 moves which was 30 more than the guy behind me). This was the team I drafted:

Uncle Drew & Friends 1. (11) Kyrie Irving(Cle - PG) 2. (14) James Harden(Hou - SG,SF) 3. (35) Anthony Davis(NO - PF,C) 4. (38) Marcus Thornton(Sac - SG) 5. (59) Roy Hibbert(Ind - C) 6. (62) Tim Duncan(SA - PF,C) 7. (83) Andrea Bargnani(NY - PF,C) 8. (86) Michael Beasley(Mia - SF,PF) 9. (107) Darren Collison(LAC - PG) 10. (110) Bradley Beal(Was - SG) 11. (131) Rodney Stuckey(Det - PG,SG) 12. (134) Marvin Williams(Uta - SF) 13. (155) Gerald Henderson

And this is the team I ended up with

Jimmy Butler

Anthony Davis

Jeff Green

James Harden

Maurice Harkless

Spencer Hawes

Gerald Henderson

Roy Hibbert

Kyrie Irving

Jarrett Jack

Shawn Marion

Klay Thompson

Beno Udrih

1 person likes this

Last year I went 1-7 to start. Ended up winning my league mostly thanks to Ilyasova Durant and Tobias Harris.

1 person likes this

I was playing in a 10-team roto league with my friends in 2008-09. I started taking Amare Stoudemire (who had a career year and finished #2 the previous year), Allen Iverson (#12 in 2007-08), and Kevin Martin (#21 in 2007-08). Amare absolutely sucked and got injured, Iverson got traded and was borderline useless all year long, and Martin obviously got injured too.

Several months into the season, I realized there was no way I could win without tanking points, so I ended up trading aggressively with my friends. David Lee (16.0 ppg) and Kevin Garnett (15.8 ppg until he got injured with 25 games left) were my top scorers, Brook Lopez at 13.0 ppg was my 3rd scorer. I loaded up on guys like Jose Calderon, Mo Williams, and Chris Duhon to shore my guard stats, along with Rasheed Wallace and Shawn Marion to help my big man stats. I also benefited from grabbing guys like Chris Andersen, Ronny Turiaf, Dominic McGuire, Delonte West, Francisco Garcia, Jamario Moon, etc., all of whom logged at least several weeks of games on my team. I ended up winning by one point, nearly 2000 points behind the next worst-scoring team (which played like 50 fewer games than me).

1 person likes this

This is my first year playing, but this is why I prefer roto. I just think its dumb that the last few weeks count more than the entire ROS in H2H.

This is my first year playing, but this is why I prefer roto. I just think its dumb that the last few weeks count more than the entire ROS in H2H.

That's how it is in the real nba though.

And this is coming from someone who plays roto exclusively

2po8qxz.png

I did pretty good. I won at least LOL. I'm "Hot N Sour Soup". I 9-0 someone too LOL.

How is this a bad team winning it all? Looks like you drafted a great team despite messing up your 1st rounder.

You finished the regular season first overall. Yeah horrible team though :rolleyes: .

last year i won the championship without any star players. well, marc gasol was dropped by an owner who thought (like everyone else did) that he would be out longer with his abdominal tear so he couldnt hold him. i saw the blurb that he was coming back super early and grabbed him.

my roster was:

conley

lowry

kemba

marc gasol

pau gasol

hayward

ilyasova

brook lopez

pekovic

marion

david west

i auto drafted that year. so the team was pretty bad (had lawson and tyson chandler - had to drop both just before playoffs because of injuries). just had big weeks in the playoffs and the other teams had bad ones. i was 6th ranked going into playoffs out of 10 teams.

6th out of 10, your league loses credibility when you allow more than half the teams to make the playoffs. You should have never been there to begin with.

How is this a bad team winning it all? Looks like you drafted a great team despite messing up your 1st rounder.

You finished the regular season first overall. Yeah horrible team though :rolleyes: .

No 1st Rounder throughout the season... Usually is a bad team? It's not like I was able to trade Bynum for any value... I just had to drop him...

H2H is more fun for me when I play in a league where all the teams are managed by friends. I get to s--- on my friends each week when I stomp them lmao. What I'm trying to say is, H2H is more fun in some situations because you get to ****talk people. s--- talk kinda doesn't really make much sense for roto. I agree that roto is more balanced when it comes to determining the winner and whatnot though. Any random team can catch a lucky break in the playoffs even if they don't necessarily have the best team.

1 person likes this

my roster was:

conley

lowry

kemba

marc gasol

pau gasol

hayward

ilyasova

brook lopez

pekovic

marion

david west

6th out of 10, your league loses credibility when you allow more than half the teams to make the playoffs. You should have never been there to begin with.

it was a league with just real life friends so we wanted to make it fun the first year and we let 6 out of the 10 make playoffs

my roster was:

conley

lowry

kemba

marc gasol

pau gasol

hayward

ilyasova

brook lopez

pekovic

marion

david west

More than half the teams make the playoffs in the nba

Pretty unusual in basketball/baseball due to the number of games/weeks in the season.

Happens quite often in football, I would imagine. One of my football teams this year made the championship (and lost) of a 16 team league even though my team had the 2nd fewest points scored. I started Chris Ogbonnaya, Bobby Rainey, and Mike Brown in the championship round, and got deservedly smoked by the team with Peyton Manning, Jamaal Charles, and LeSean McCoy.

No 1st Rounder throughout the season... Usually is a bad team? It's not like I was able to trade Bynum for any value... I just had to drop him...

It doesn't matter whether you drafted a "projected" 1st round player, if that's what you meant. Just look at your team, you had Curry, Duncan, and Aldridge posting round 1 value last season. Paul George, Kyrie, and Batum posting round 2 value. And the rest of the team is also crazy. This is not a "bad championship team," more like an "excellent championship team," and so I would question the competition in your league. Not a surprise you swept your league with this team.

Curry.

Duncan.

George.

Batum.

Klay Thompson.

Dragic.

Aldridge.

Faried.

Walker.

Irving.

Mayo.

JR. Smith.

KG.

I think this is more in fantasy football. And a "bad" team never really wins, just a team that is inferior or outclassed. This is because football is more affected by schedule than other fantasy sports.

It doesn't matter whether you drafted a "projected" 1st round player, if that's what you meant. Just look at your team, you had Curry, Duncan, and Aldridge posting round 1 value last season. Paul George, Kyrie, and Batum posting round 2 value. And the rest of the team is also crazy. This is not a "bad championship team," more like an "excellent championship team," and so I would question the competition in your league. Not a surprise you swept your league with this team.

You have to admit... From 4-11... They were all hits... :D Usually that never happens... I was lucky

Barring catastrophic injury by a favored team, how often do you really see random undeserving teams win in fantasy basketball? I'm thinking it would be rare just because of the much higher density of games played. Unlike in football where if some guy gets 100 points in the final week and you have a player or two sit out, instantly condemning you to a loss, you can take those kinds of hits and still have a chance at winning. Of course, this opinion is colored by having 1 whole upset (3 seed beat 2 in the semi-final) in 3 years and 9 playoff games worth of meaningful fantasy basketball.

If my team takes its 10-0 start to a championship, it will earn a spot on this list. I have Millsap, Ellis, Harden, Jefferson and scores of mediocre guards and forwards. It's dreadful. Of course, if I still had Lopez and Horford, it would be godly, but these things happen I guess.

My first fantasy experience. Autodrafted team with a 30 player pre-draft ranking that was possibly the worst pre-draft ranking ever made, with no KD, CP3 or LBJ. I selected only my fav players and ended up with this:

1.(8) James Harden

2.(17) Kyle Lowry

3.(32) Paul George

4.(41) Zach Randolph

5.(56) Nikola Pekovic

6.(65) Chandler Parsons

7.(80) Tristan Thompson

8.(89) Jonas Valanciunas

9.(104) Andrei Kirilenko

10.(113) Kawhi Leonard

11.(128) Derrick Williams

12.(137) Jason Thompson

13.(152) Al-Farouq Aminu

Terrible huh? Turned out to be Harden, George, Parsons and Pekovic's breakout year. I got rid of other scrubs and picked up Rubio (injured), Sanders and Ilyasova from waivers early in the season (but dropped Kawhi, what a rookie move). Gained first seed in RS, then someone dropped the injured Irving and M.Gasol at the end of March to make the last playoff run. Stashed both as I was already in first place and winning my division I directly qualified to the semifinals, then beat the sh*t out of everyone in the finals. Final team was:

Backcourt: Irving, Rubio, Felton, George, Harden, Henderson, Parsons

Frontcourt: M.Gasol, Pekovic, Randolph, Ilyasova, Sanders, Valanciunas