Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poopdungbeatle

Todd Frazier 2014 Outlook

253 posts in this topic

I, like many others were so high on Frazier for the 2013 due to his breakout in 2012. He could've been primed for a big year if he started off hot and ended up in the clean up spot since Dusty Baker always puts a RH bat between Votto and Bruce.

I'm wondering if Frazier had a bit of bad luck last year as his K and BB were pretty much the same as the year before, but big difference in BA.

Well, it's a new year, expectations are much lower, but I'm hoping this is the year he puts himself on the fantasy map.

Does anyone know how new manager Bryan Price is regarding how he sets up his lineup? Will he put a RH bat between Votto and Bruce? If so, maybe they'll go with Phillips again, but I'm thinking Phillips will be put in the 2nd spot where he belongs. So a RH clean up hitter spot could potentially be up for grabs.....for Frazier!

How can you not like Frazier?! That story about him and bat boy Teddy was awesome. If you don't like Big Todd, then you sir have too much hate in your heart.

pretty sure Ryan Ludwick was the Reds cleanup hitter on opening day last year followed by Bruce and then Frazier 6th. Ludwick got injured in the opener which caused Dusty to reshuffle his lineup

I actually think there's an outside chance that Frazier is simply a platoon/fringe starter by the middle of 2014.....

He should have been hitting 2nd all last year. Even in a down year average wise, he still gets on base. Lineup spot will be important, but I think he'll be better than last year and could be a sneaky source of power.

I, like many others were so high on Frazier for the 2013 due to his breakout in 2012. He could've been primed for a big year if he started off hot and ended up in the clean up spot since Dusty Baker always puts a RH bat between Votto and Bruce.

I'm wondering if Frazier had a bit of bad luck last year as his K and BB were pretty much the same as the year before, but big difference in BA.

Well, it's a new year, expectations are much lower, but I'm hoping this is the year he puts himself on the fantasy map.

Does anyone know how new manager Bryan Price is regarding how he sets up his lineup? Will he put a RH bat between Votto and Bruce? If so, maybe they'll go with Phillips again, but I'm thinking Phillips will be put in the 2nd spot where he belongs. So a RH clean up hitter spot could potentially be up for grabs.....for Frazier!

How can you not like Frazier?! That story about him and bat boy Teddy was awesome. If you don't like Big Todd, then you sir have too much hate in your heart.

Well he only had a 18,1 LD% and his GB% went up by almost 10%. He's not someone with great speed so that affected his BABIP in a negative way.

Considering his positional diversity in Yahoo I'd be happy to get this guy in the bottom third of a draft. He has been a productive bench 3B - even with his down year last year - over the past couple years.

Loved him last year as well but I think you have to let him go undrafted this year and monitor him. He doesn't really have a high ceiling so its not someone you would optimally take a chance on. He had that one insane 3-4 week stretch in 2012 but besides that he has been a middling player at best. I'm also pretty sure he will only be eligible at 3B this year in Yahoo.

You could aim higher.

It's just that....3B is pretty weak. Frazier could easily hit 25HR-75 RBI-75R-10SB and if he can get his average up to even .265, he'll be a top 10 3B.

I want to see if he changes his hitting ways during spring training before I take a chance on him. If not, the HR are not worth the bad average to me. He's not a Pedro Alvarez who makes up for the bad average by hitting 30+ HR. So I want to see more line drives and less ground balls.

It's just that....3B is pretty weak. Frazier could easily hit 25HR-75 RBI-75R-10SB and if he can get his average up to even .265, he'll be a top 10 3B.

I don't know that 3B is that weak this season. You still have Miggy eligible for one more year. Add in Beltre, Wright, Longoria, Donaldson, Zimmerman, Seager. And younger players like Arenado and Machado and Bogaerts (who will retain 3B eligbility for this year and probably next at the very least) that are still growing into their bodies and their power. Add Castellanos to that list replacing Miggy at 3B. He is no more a reach then Frazier and you could catch lightning in a bottle. Even an aging vet like Aramis Ramirez or an inconsistent basher like Pedro Alverez or even Moose I'd rank higher than Frazier. Prado and Chris Johnson and Rendon (15 satarts at 3B last year to retain eligibility) for average and consistency.

Saying IF Frazier's average gets up to .265 is like saying the same thing for Will Middlebrooks or Chase Headley. No indication it will happen with any of these three guys. But IF any of these three do then yes indeed they will have revelance. But it is a "wish & hope" situation more then having the pedigree going into this season where you have so many other good 3B available.

No problem with Frazier in the last round as a bench warmer in a deep league but I don't think he is worth taking in leagues of 12 teams or less.

I remember the time (roughly 5 years ago) when I partied with him at Hemmingway's (a bar/dance club type thing down the Jersey Shore). He was quite timid for a baseball player, but a nice guy. This likely doesn't affect him in fantasy, so I'll give something a little better.

He hit .261 with 6 homers in September. Maybe he finally figured something out. Todd's a fairly strong guy, and at some point the low hr/fb% (considering his home park) will get over 15%. I think his biggest season difference maker will be his ground ball %. As mentioned, his ground ball % was lower, and his line drive higher during his good season. He'll go late enough that it's worth the flier to see what happens.

maybe take him with a last pick if no other upside choice remains.

guy was a major disappointment last year...

I remember the time (roughly 5 years ago) when I partied with him at Hemmingway's (a bar/dance club type thing down the Jersey Shore). He was quite timid for a baseball player, but a nice guy. This likely doesn't affect him in fantasy, so I'll give something a little better.

He hit .261 with 6 homers in September. Maybe he finally figured something out. Todd's a fairly strong guy, and at some point the low hr/fb% (considering his home park) will get over 15%. I think his biggest season difference maker will be his ground ball %. As mentioned, his ground ball % was lower, and his line drive higher during his good season. He'll go late enough that it's worth the flier to see what happens.

I find it ironic that's there's a bar/club called Hemmingway's in the Jersey Shore. I picture over-processed guidos doing jäger bombs and shouting lines from A Farewell To Arms.

1 person likes this

I don't know that 3B is that weak this season. You still have Miggy eligible for one more year. Add in Beltre, Wright, Longoria, Donaldson, Zimmerman, Seager. And younger players like Arenado and Machado and Bogaerts (who will retain 3B eligbility for this year and probably next at the very least) that are still growing into their bodies and their power. Add Castellanos to that list replacing Miggy at 3B. He is no more a reach then Frazier and you could catch lightning in a bottle. Even an aging vet like Aramis Ramirez or an inconsistent basher like Pedro Alverez or even Moose I'd rank higher than Frazier. Prado and Chris Johnson and Rendon (15 satarts at 3B last year to retain eligibility) for average and consistency.

Saying IF Frazier's average gets up to .265 is like saying the same thing for Will Middlebrooks or Chase Headley. No indication it will happen with any of these three guys. But IF any of these three do then yes indeed they will have revelance. But it is a "wish & hope" situation more then having the pedigree going into this season where you have so many other good 3B available.

No problem with Frazier in the last round as a bench warmer in a deep league but I don't think he is worth taking in leagues of 12 teams or less.

Many? I disagree. Its not shallow like SS. But its a lot less deep than 1B or OF...

a 25-75-75-10 with .260 sounds fine for a 3B for me that I can get in the latter half of the draft.

I'm not taking him over Moose, Chris Johnson... You can have at it, but at least I KNOW he has power... Rendon and Prado are going to be used more as 2B. Bogaerts will eventually get SS. That is where he is ideal.

So you basically have. Miggy, Beltre, Wright, Zimmerman, Longo, Donaldson, Seager as for sure above him right now.

Pedro, A Ram? Sure, Id agree with that. Panda? Depends if you buy into his contract year weight loss mission...

Arendo, Castellenos, Fraizer, Middlebrooks, Headley are all in the same group. You can make arguments for any one of them. Only Headley in that group is proven...

Machado was great last year, but he is coming off a major injury and has less power. Machado is going to cost a higher ADP than he is worth. He may better only because of batting average. But difference in ADP just doesn't make it Ideal for grabbing to where you can get Frazier.

1 person likes this

Well with due respect you still have anyone who is fantasy 3B eligible no matter where he plays in "real" baseball available for 3B duties so I would never ever remove Bogaerts, Rendon and Prado from that list. Just because Bogaerts might be more valuable at SS doesn't mean you play him there if you also own Tulo say. It depends on who else you get on your team. I mean Zobrist is "more valuable" at SS then 2B but he played 2B for me for two seasons cause I had a decent SS and no other decent 2B in that particular league. As to Bogaerts ending up at SS. Perhaps and perhaps not. One thing is pretty sure. He has both eligibilities this year and will no doubt have both for 2015 in Yahoo which only requires three starts at a position. He could well end up at 3B eventually too since his build is definitely not the classic one for a SS.

And I honestly don't think Headley has proved anything other than he had one surprisingly great year out of nowhere then promptly imploded back into being his mediocre self again last year. But yeah he did show he could do something just like Frazier did. But so did Middlebrooks for half a season. Just no guarantee any of them will do it again.

Machado I'm not that worried about. He's what? 21? He is still growing into his body and his power. I think he is fine and I'd trade for him in any league if I could pry him away from his owners.

Yeah I forgot all about Panda. He def has to be rated higher then Frazier no matter what his weight. Contract year or not he somehow puts up decent enough numbers. How I have no idea, heh.

Well with due respect you still have anyone who is fantasy 3B eligible no matter where he plays in "real" baseball available for 3B duties so I would never ever remove Bogaerts, Rendon and Prado from that list. Just because Bogaerts might be more valuable at SS doesn't mean you play him there if you also own Tulo say. It depends on who else you get on your team. I mean Zobrist is "more valuable" at SS then 2B but he played 2B for me for two seasons cause I had a decent SS and no other decent 2B in that particular league. As to Bogaerts ending up at SS. Perhaps and perhaps not. One thing is pretty sure. He has both eligibilities this year and will no doubt have both for 2015 in Yahoo which only requires three starts at a position. He could well end up at 3B eventually too since his build is definitely not the classic one for a SS.

And I honestly don't think Headley has proved anything other than he had one surprisingly great year out of nowhere then promptly imploded back into being his mediocre self again last year. But yeah he did show he could do something just like Frazier did. But so did Middlebrooks for half a season. Just no guarantee any of them will do it again.

Machado I'm not that worried about. He's what? 21? He is still growing into his body and his power. I think he is fine and I'd trade for him in any league if I could pry him away from his owners.

Yeah I forgot all about Panda. He def has to be rated higher then Frazier no matter what his weight. Contract year or not he somehow puts up decent enough numbers. How I have no idea, heh.

Not about real baseball position, but about most valuable fantasy position. There is really no reason you should use these guys at 3B, that is just a waste of opportunity cost. If you are in that position then something went wrong or one of those 3 became Miguel Cabrera. If you draft Tulo or a Cano there is no reason to draft those guys later.

Many? I disagree. Its not shallow like SS. But its a lot less deep than 1B or OF...

a 25-75-75-10 with .260 sounds fine for a 3B for me that I can get in the latter half of the draft.

I'm not taking him over Moose, Chris Johnson... You can have at it, but at least I KNOW he has power... Rendon and Prado are going to be used more as 2B. Bogaerts will eventually get SS. That is where he is ideal.

So you basically have. Miggy, Beltre, Wright, Zimmerman, Longo, Donaldson, Seager as for sure above him right now.

Pedro, A Ram? Sure, Id agree with that. Panda? Depends if you buy into his contract year weight loss mission...

Arendo, Castellenos, Fraizer, Middlebrooks, Headley are all in the same group. You can make arguments for any one of them. Only Headley in that group is proven...

Machado was great last year, but he is coming off a major injury and has less power. Machado is going to cost a higher ADP than he is worth. He may better only because of batting average. But difference in ADP just doesn't make it Ideal for grabbing to where you can get Frazier.

Anyone would take those numbers but so far we've seen the good (2012) and bad (2013) from Frazier. That's why I need to see him changing his hitting ways before I'm willing to risk getting the bad. Because .230/19/73/6 is not something I want from my 3B.

Also, that .202 avg and .632 OPS he put up away from GAB was atrocious.

Anyone would take those numbers but so far we've seen the good (2012) and bad (2013) from Frazier. That's why I need to see him changing his hitting ways before I'm willing to risk getting the bad. Because .230/19/73/6 is not something I want from my 3B.

Also, that .202 avg and .632 OPS he put up away from GAB was atrocious.

Yeah, I would not advocate having him being counted on as the starting 3B in 10 teamer's.. Ideally, if you don't want to reach early to get a 3B..Id match him up with someone like A Ram. IMO

Not about real baseball position, but about most valuable fantasy position. There is really no reason you should use these guys at 3B, that is just a waste of opportunity cost. If you are in that position then something went wrong or one of those 3 became Miguel Cabrera. If you draft Tulo or a Cano there is no reason to draft those guys later.

No reason? Ever hear of utility slots? They all don't have to go to an OF or a 1B when you can get just as good a hitter at a more scarce position to pop in there. And it's the same reason you would pick up Frazier here in a late round even if you already have a good 3B. You pick up the best players you can when you can. It all sorts out in the end, trust me. There are always injuries. There are always slumps. There are always "dinged up" players held out for a week or more.

And there is always openings to rotate players in and out of the utility slots. Get at least 2 good players that can cover every position on your team even if one is a multi-position guy and good things happen to your team in the end. I would take Tulo and Xander on my team any day. The more "redundency" I have at infield positions other that 1B, the better I feel. And I can always get them both into the line-up when both are healthy. So why not have both.

And that is what value I see in Frazier. As a second 3B and, if he heats up, a person I can rotate in and out of a utility slot (or 3B if my regular goes into a slump) based on match-ups etc. Depth on a team is my number one concern and that pov for me has worked out really well. Others may be fine with just one good player per position and also do well. Not all owners play the same way.

No reason? Ever hear of utility slots? They all don't have to go to an OF or a 1B when you can get just as good a hitter at a more scarce position to pop in there. And it's the same reason you would pick up Frazier here in a late round even if you already have a good 3B. You pick up the best players you can when you can. It all sorts out in the end, trust me. There are always injuries. There are always slumps. There are always "dinged up" players held out for a week or more.

And there is always openings to rotate players in and out of the utility slots. Get at least 2 good players that can cover every position on your team even if one is a multi-position guy and good things happen to your team in the end. I would take Tulo and Xander on my team any day. The more "redundency" I have at infield positions other that 1B, the better I feel. And I can always get them both into the line-up when both are healthy. So why not have both.

And that is what value I see in Frazier. As a second 3B and, if he heats up, a person I can rotate in and out of a utility slot (or 3B if my regular goes into a slump) based on match-ups etc. Depth on a team is my number one concern and that pov for me has worked out really well. Others may be fine with just one good player per position and also do well. Not all owners play the same way.

Let's take that example of Bogaerts and Tulo. Any owner would love to have Tulo and Kid Tulo, but if you needed pitching or your 2B is like Kelly Johnson, you would trade from a position of strength(SS) to rectify the weakness. Trading Bogaerts as a SS will be his max value, especially to a team in need of a SS. Sure it's great to have depth, but that's not my main focus when designing my team. A balance in production throughout the roster is much more important.....depth is important too, but that's not my top priority. I expect mediocrity from my fill-ins for injured starters....they will only have a certain amount of ABs to contribute before your starters are back (assuming it's not a crazy 4 month injury).

In majority of leagues, guys like Prado or Bogaerts will most likely be used in their most scarce position. Whether they get drafted onto the team for that position (ie SS) or they are traded from a manager with a surplus at that position to a manager that needs to fill that position.

That is fair if you want to count guys like Prado and such if we talking about top 10.

Now that I can agree with. Injuries happen all the time. Fraizer is higher than replacement level and he does have some upside here.

I'm just saying, if your draft is reaching for all the 3B early and you don't want too. Frazier can be considered as a late starting option. You may not like him over all those guys. But I can see it for some of them. My later round 3B target is A Ram and Panda for the record though...

FWIW, Razzball projects Frazier to have a .250-25-80-70-5 type line. I'll take that anydayyyy with a late late round pick over drafting the likes of Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado, or even Evan Longoria early in the draft.

Razzball is outstanding, don't get me wrong. But they have a man-crush on Frazier. Last year they predicted 35 bombs for him

FWIW, Razzball projects Frazier to have a .250-25-80-70-5 type line. I'll take that anydayyyy with a late late round pick over drafting the likes of Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado, or even Evan Longoria early in the draft.

Rotochamp has him at .256-20-74-5

Oliver has him at .247-20-75-8

Steamer has him at .245-17-59-6

ZiPS has him at .243-21-79-9

I don't think anyone doubts his power. He has that 20-25 HR potential. The average is going to depend on if he stops hitting ground balls.

That is fair if you want to count guys like Prado and such if we talking about top 10.

Now that I can agree with. Injuries happen all the time. Fraizer is higher than replacement level and he does have some upside here.

I'm just saying, if your draft is reaching for all the 3B early and you don't want too. Frazier can be considered as a late starting option. You may not like him over all those guys. But I can see it for some of them. My later round 3B target is A Ram and Panda for the record though...

That works but you are sacrificing value. You can't get guys that are just as good statistically ignoring the positions. Unless a scarce position falls way down the draft, you will be paying a scarcity premium on stats that you most likely won't take advantage of in the most profitable spots. Yes you can put those guys in UTIL but you can get better stats from an OF at the same price and stick them in UTIL, which ultimately gives your team better stats.

1 person likes this