Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GottaGetTheWin

Julio Jones 2014 Season Outlook

1,336 posts in this topic

Not much to say here.

Big talent, big first two years, big offense, big injury last year.

How's he looking for 14?

1 person likes this

He was looking like a stud and the #2 WR in the league behind Megatron. Would love to have him on my squad.

He was looking like a stud and the #2 WR in the league behind Megatron. Would love to have him on my squad.

Let's not get crazy...even in his best year (2012), he was only the #9 WR -- behind Decker, Vincent Jackson, and Andre Johnson.

Let's not get crazy...even in his best year (2012), he was only the #9 WR -- behind Decker, Vincent Jackson, and Andre Johnson.

Second year in the league in 2012. In 2013 he was set to be a top 10 fantasy WR easily before the foot injury. Any discount you can get on this guy is added value.

Julio was on pace for 130+ receptions and over 1,800 yards before the injury.....

Julio was on pace for 130+ receptions and over 1,800 yards before the injury.....

Neither of which would ever happen in a year where White is healthy. Again, let's not get carried away.

1 person likes this

There are probably about five WRs I'll rank ahead of him this season but he definitely has as big of a ceiling as anyone.

It all depends on how his rehab is going. I haven't heard whether/when he'll be available; OTA's? Training Camp? Preseason - haven't heard. All of that will really impact his value/potential production.

Neither of which would ever happen in a year where White is healthy. Again, let's not get carried away.

You're forgetting the part where Gonzo is leaving town.

It all depends on how his rehab is going. I haven't heard whether/when he'll be available; OTA's? Training Camp? Preseason - haven't heard. All of that will really impact his value/potential production.

Right. If Julio puts a healthy 16 games together he's an incredible lock for top5 IMO. And that's how ill rank him in my draft as long as reports say his rehab is going well.

Right. If Julio puts a healthy 16 games together he's an incredible lock for top5 IMO. And that's how ill rank him in my draft as long as reports say his rehab is going well.

Lock? Definitely not. Possibility? Yes.

That helps White more than Jones...White is the possession receiver in the red zone.

He has top 5 upside, but I''d hardly call him a lock. The NFL is incredibly deep at receiver right now. I'd rank Jones somewhere around 8th-10th because of his upside, but I would not be surprised if he goes around 15th among receivers in some drafts, especially with names like Antonio Brown, Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffery, and T.Y. Hilton rapidly ascending the ranks.

Fair enough on the "incredible lock" part. I simply strongly believe he'll be in the top5 if he stays healthy. His talent level is up there with the best in the league IMO. I'd be shocked if he wasn't top10, and like I said: strongly believe he's top5 if he stays healthy. After Calvin it's hard to say who else id rather take if he's looking like himself in the preseason. Probably Bmarsh...DT..AJ are the only guys that I COULD put ahead of him. He's the 5th best fantasy WR at WORST for me next August when he puts in a healthy camp.

Fair enough on the "incredible lock" part. I simply strongly believe he'll be in the top5 if he stays healthy. His talent level is up there with the best in the league IMO. I'd be shocked if he wasn't top10, and like I said: strongly believe he's top5 if he stays healthy. After Calvin it's hard to say who else id rather take if he's looking like himself in the preseason. Probably Bmarsh...DT..AJ are the only guys that I COULD put ahead of him. He's the 5th best fantasy WR at WORST for me next August when he puts in a healthy camp.

People I'd take over a "healthy" J. Jones: Megatron, D. Thomas, Green, Marshall, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Gordon. Definitely top-10 WR, but no way is he a lock to be top-5, even if he is healthy (which is not a certainty given his injury hx).

That helps White more than Jones...White is the possession receiver in the red zone.

They aren't always playing in the RZ. Not all of Gonzo's targets are going straight to White.

They aren't always playing in the RZ. Not all of Gonzo's targets are going straight to White.

No...but more will go to White than Jones. They also believe in Toilolo as well.

People I'd take over a "healthy" J. Jones: Megatron, D. Thomas, Green, Marshall, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Gordon. Definitely top-10 WR, but no way is he a lock to be top-5, even if he is healthy (which is not a certainty given his injury hx).

Definitely not Antonio for me...there's too big of a talent gap for me. He had a really good year, and is definitely a talented no1, but Julio's ceiling is clearly supreme for me. And I personally give Julio a tick above Dez. Dez had a really good year, but it wasn't exactly spread out all that generously making for a few too many rough weeks in his 2013 campaign (trust me i owned him). I think Dez and Julio have similar years next year, but Julio's points are spread out better.

And love Gordon, talent and ceiling are right there with Julio...but they need some stability at the QB position before I take him over a healthy Julio having Matty Ice throwing it for him. Really it looks like are views on Julio are relatively similar, you would take 3 guys over him I wouldn't with me:

agreeing on Calvin DT, AJ and BMarsh being above him (although Julio could be anywhere from 2-5 in my rankings)

understanding taking a Dez or Gordon over him, despite me disagreeing.

my biggest and only sizable beef is Antonio over Julio. He leads the second tier for me. If it gets to me and all the prototypical stud WR's are off the board (all the other WR's we've mentioned), I'll gladly settle for Antonio if I have to but don't call it ideal. In fact, after thinking about it Jordy or Cobb (probably Jordy) I think I'd rather have lead the 2nd tier of WR's with Antonio in the mix there as well.

1 person likes this

Definitely not Antonio for me...there's too big of a talent gap for me. He had a really good year, and is definitely a talented no1, but Julio's ceiling is clearly supreme for me. And I personally give Julio a tick above Dez. Dez had a really good year, but it wasn't exactly spread out all that generously making for a few too many rough weeks in his 2013 campaign (trust me i owned him). I think Dez and Julio have similar years next year, but Julio's points are spread out better.

And love Gordon, talent and ceiling are right there with Julio...but they need some stability at the QB position before I take him over a healthy Julio having Matty Ice throwing it for him. Really it looks like are views on Julio are relatively similar, you would take 3 guys over him I wouldn't with me:

agreeing on Calvin DT, AJ and BMarsh being above him (although Julio could be anywhere from 2-5 in my rankings)

understanding taking a Dez or Gordon over him, despite me disagreeing.

my biggest and only sizable beef is Antonio over Julio. He leads the second tier for me. If it gets to me and all the prototypical stud WR's are off the board (all the other WR's we've mentioned), I'll gladly settle for Antonio if I have to but don't call it ideal. In fact, after thinking about it Jordy or Cobb (probably Jordy) I think I'd rather have lead the 2nd tier of WR's with Antonio in the mix there as well.

Antonio was phenomenal last year, and is extremely consistent -- plus he's a threat for return TDs as well. At least 5 catches and 50 yards every game is a huge plus. Julio has a higher ceiling, but a much lower floor (even when healthy) -- that's why I'd rather have Antonio.

Antonio was phenomenal last year, and is extremely consistent -- plus he's a threat for return TDs as well. At least 5 catches and 50 yards every game is a huge plus. Julio has a higher ceiling, but a much lower floor (even when healthy) -- that's why I'd rather have Antonio.

I respect your opinion, and respectfully disagree. Brown's awesome consistency was his best quality last year for sure, however. Julio showed some consistency himself before he went down last year, as well, and even if Roddy can bounce back next year, (which I think he does decently) I think it's less of the see-saw we saw in 2012. Especially because I think the bigger chunk of gonzo targets will go Julio's way, because while Julio's elite talent is most thought of for his immense deep threat, he's used in intermediate crossing routes multiple times a week as well. And if it's ever close, especially in the earlier rounds, I take the supreme talent, and to me it's clearly Julio.

And in general, I hope Julio gets his foot right before the season. He's one of my favorite players to watch. Outside of "over the hill" SJax I think all of the offensive players in ATL will be generally undervalued in 2014 drafts, due to the down year they experienced.

I respect your opinion, and respectfully disagree. Brown's awesome consistency was his best quality last year for sure, however. Julio showed some consistency himself before he went down last year, as well, and even if Roddy can bounce back next year, (which I think he does decently) I think it's less of the see-saw we saw in 2012. Especially because I think the bigger chunk of gonzo targets will go Julio's way, because while Julio's elite talent is most thought of for his immense deep threat, he's used in intermediate crossing routes multiple times a week as well. And if it's ever close, especially in the earlier rounds, I take the supreme talent, and to me it's clearly Julio.

And in general, I hope Julio gets his foot right before the season. He's one of my favorite players to watch. Outside of "over the hill" SJax I think all of the offensive players in ATL will be generally undervalued in 2014 drafts, due to the down year they experienced.

We'll see. I'm expecting huge things from Pittsburgh's offense next year.

As I have said in other Falcons related posts, I think that the entire Atlanta roster is going to be under valued fantasy gold next year. I think as a team they're going to be ultra deadly. IF Julio's rehab goes well, as others have said in this thread, I would probably take him 6th or 7th over all at position. If Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery were not on the same team, I would have him ranked after those two as well but I think they each cap the upside of the other. For me, I am looking at Josh Gordon, Calvin, Green, Antonio Brown, Jordy Nelson and Dez Bryant over Julio.

The thing I would have addressed is this: this was the second time he had injured that foot. How was the forecast of his health going in to the current season? Was be playing with it bothering him, or did it begin and get progressively worse during the season? I wasn't paying attention so I don't know. If he was having problems going in to pre season and broke it again, that should be a red flag. The simple fact he has aggravated a previous injury in a significant way should be red flag enough, but the particulars matter. Regardless, there is a relatively legit risk drafting him but as others have said his upside is hard to ignore, and one would feel stupid watching him have a perfectly healthy and productive season after passing him up...

Antonio v Julio is definitely an interesting conversation and I agree that Antonio is going to be a force in years to come. I'd still take Julio given the choice though. He has the body you need to be a game-dominating WR1.

We'll see. I'm expecting huge things from Pittsburgh's offense next year.

Le'Veon Bell is one of my biggest targets next year. And I think Big Ben will be a very good value QB1. I just have a feeling Antonio might go a tad early for my liking next year.

Excellent news here:

Coach Mike Smith confirmed Julio Jones (foot) remains on track to return this spring.

We haven't heard much of anything on Julio since he went on injured reserve with a broken bone in his foot in mid-October. He's suffered a fracture in the same spot in his foot twice in his football career now, so look for the Falcons to bring him along slowly. Jones should be ready for OTAs, but due to the nature of the injury we may not see him do many football activities until camp.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Jan 20 - 6:10 PM