Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dzemens

Matt Garza 2014 Outlook

71 posts in this topic

Good deal for the Brewers.I think he will be more of the same this year, a guy you can count on in the back of your fantasy rotation, but he won't offer much upside.

1 person likes this

He might be a good addition to the Brewer's mainly due to the lack of depth in their rotation, but I honestly only see him being between a top 25-30 Starting Pitcher.

Wow he is getting smacked around in spring training... 3 starts, 5 2/3 innings, 19 hits, 12 ER.

Any reports on what's wrong?

I'm worried. This is what killed him last year. Some starts he would just get blown up. I remember one I think he gave up 9-10 runs. I thought he was mentally strong before I owned him, but now I am thinking the opposite. He's a loose cannon.

It's spring training, so you want to take it with a grain of salt. Is there anything that is causing this? Or a velocity drop? I kind of want to be concerned but ST stats aren't what I look at.

1 person likes this

Sucked in the spring season, but hell of a outing on his first start of this season.

IP 8.0

H 2

R 1

ER 1

HR 1

BB 1

SO 7

Thoughts?

Sucked in the spring season, but hell of a outing on his first start of this season.

IP 8.0

H 2

R 1

ER 1

HR 1

BB 1

SO 7

Thoughts?

Atlanta is worse than we thought?

I wouldn't draw a whole lot from one game. Garza is who he is, but I think he will be better than last year. He has #3 upside, but does have an injury history and is kind of a knob. However, don't hold the latter against him in fantasy.

Anyone in weekly leagues rolling him out there for 2 starts? I'm leaning towards doing it..

Indeed I am. I figure the 2-start status makes him worth a roll of the dice.

Anyone in weekly leagues rolling him out there for 2 starts? I'm leaning towards doing it..

Indeed I am. I figure the 2-start status makes him worth a roll of the dice.

Yep, plus he's been pretty good so far this year

Just traded Castellanos in keeper league for him, hope he's solid. I'm not expecting an ace, but a solid 3-4 SP would work for me, especially if he can average close to 8k/9

Served up 3 run jack to Jon Jay after an out at home and an out at 3rd. Ugly.

Yeah he was unimpressive in an easier matchup v the Phillies last time out and I really am not interested anymore at this point. Maybe he's healthy but he hasn't progressed as a pitcher one bit since he came up. So prone to massive blowups and what surprises me is he doesn't have the K's (so far) to bail him out as a productive fantasy pitchers. He only K'd 4 batters in the Philly start which was really disappointing to me.

He was great vs the braves though, and he still managed to pitch 7 innings tonight and get 6 K's. I have Darvish, Hamels, Cole and Tillman in front of him so I'm not too dependant on his performance, but I'm not thrilled so far... guess we'll see.

To be fair, he made the Braves look silly. Then he faced a decent Phillies team and was hurt in that one by his defense which were throwing the ball around like it was pitching machine level. Him and Hernandez didn't seem to get much help from the home plate ump during that series either.

Tonight he was pretty good with the exception of Matt Adams and that 6th inning.

Can't believe he lost that QS!

- (Giddy opponent that faced him)

He looked great though. NL suits him, even if he will give up his share of HR's, especially at home.

I hate that I ended up with him on my team, but I'm pleased so far. After a horrid spring, he hasn't been walking many guys. Still needs to avoid the big home runs like he did last night, but 4.25 K/BB is solid. Hope he can keep that rate up and not give guys free passes.

Wow my God this guy SUCKS> He is banished to my bench until further notice. He may actually be droppable for a stream spot. He's horrible. I have no idea why he was ranked so high and got that fat contract. Pathetic pitcher.

Wow my God this guy SUCKS> He is banished to my bench until further notice. He may actually be droppable for a stream spot. He's horrible. I have no idea why he was ranked so high and got that fat contract. Pathetic pitcher.

That was a long inning. lol

The pirates are dangerous team and they were due to score some runs. The walks hurt. lol

He'll be pretty solid through the entire year.

Did you even watch the game? All of the damage was done in one inning, and it was one of the most unlucky innings I've ever seen from a pitcher. Weeks booted an easy double play ball and Ramirez failed on what should be an easy play for a competent 3B that legitimately could have been a triple play.

1 person likes this