Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperJoint

1.26.14 Pro Bowl Thread

26 posts in this topic

I think the rule changes have been really good for the game. It's a bit harrowing as a fantasy owner because this is actually a physical game.

Pro Bowl was, is now and will remain a really stupid idea and nothing more then a cash grab by Satan Goodell

This has been an excellent game, Drew Brees was getting dominated nearly every play cause of the insane pass rush. It has actually been worth watching, maybe next year the oline will come into the game with as much intensity as the entire defenses have today.

Turned on the game for 2 minutes.

I saw:

2 unforced fumbles.

Defenders looking uninterested in tackling Alfred Morris.

Back to the Grammy's.

The one reason I tune in at the end of the night - I just hope no one gets a serious injury (Robert Edwards' family probably feels the same way, beach volleyball...SMH).

1 person likes this

The one reason I tune in at the end of the night - I just hope no one gets a serious injury (Robert Edwards' family probably feels the same way, beach volleyball...SMH).

I will never forget Robert Edwards and how that went down - horrible.

1 positive - it launched Curtis Martin's career (one of my favorite players).

Some poor throws.

Alex Smith in a pro bowl....all things are possible!

Blaine Gabbert said he had a previous engagement

1 person likes this

Some poor throws.

Alex Smith in a pro bowl....all things are possible!

Haha, nice drive by Alex there--Delivered some bullets. Wish they didn't go for 2 though. I wanted overtime!

I actually enjoyed this game, for the most part we saw some hard hits and some nice plays. The Pro Bowl was close to death but if they continue with the way it was played today I see more people watching in the future.

1 person likes this

And Mike Tolbert scored the game winning conversion on a run....a somewhat bizzare but fun probowl. I am guessing the Cromartie return at the end didnt count because he didnt belong in the probowl anyway....

Apparently alf can catch the ball who knew, definitely not the shanahans.

I was coming to post that....looks like he just needs a chance

Edwards injury had nothing to do with Martin -- except that he was the #1 pick the Pats got as compensation for Martin (which at the time everyone thought Parcells was crazy for giving up a hallowed 1st round pick for an "aging" RB -- LOL).

Edwards injury had nothing to do with Martin -- except that he was the #1 pick the Pats got as compensation for Martin (which at the time everyone thought Parcells was crazy for giving up a hallowed 1st round pick for an "aging" RB -- LOL).

He was 25 but coming off a "down" year where he went to the probowl but I think his yardage was down.

I remember vividly the day I heard the news . I turned on ESPN and they teased that they had news about Curtis Martin. I literally pulled a Tebow and said "Please god, let it be the Jets". The Jets never do anything right, so I figured it was a huge longshot. I waited for the top of the hour, and sure enough the Jets signed Martin to an offer sheet.

As much as people give Parcells a hard time for his personnel decisions he did a good job with the Jets back then. He wiffed on a few picks, but he also had some great moves like Martin.

How was Charles not hurt on that hit from Johnson? Clear helmet to helmet...thought he would be concussed there...pretty dangerous play for a Pro Bowl game.

He was 25 but coming off a "down" year where he went to the probowl but I think his yardage was down.

I remember vividly the day I heard the news . I turned on ESPN and they teased that they had news about Curtis Martin. I literally pulled a Tebow and said "Please god, let it be the Jets". The Jets never do anything right, so I figured it was a huge longshot. I waited for the top of the hour, and sure enough the Jets signed Martin to an offer sheet.

As much as people give Parcells a hard time for his personnel decisions he did a good job with the Jets back then. He wiffed on a few picks, but he also had some great moves like Martin.

Most of Parcells bad personnel decisions related to QB. For instance, he would have never had the guts to bench Simms in 1990 for Hostetler (who was a better QB at the time) -- this made all the difference in them winning the SB (Simms could have never escaped the 49ers pass rush from Charles Haley the way Hostetler did). Also, drafting Jake Long with the #1 pick b/c he was too lazy to negotiate a contract with Matt Ryan -- there are many other examples (including his ill-advised starting of Scott Brunner over Simms in 1983 that almost got him fired after his first season as Giant's HC).

Parcells = genius except when it comes to QB management.

Most of Parcells bad personnel decisions related to QB. For instance, he would have never had the guts to bench Simms in 1990 for Hostetler (who was a better QB at the time) -- this made all the difference in them winning the SB (Simms could have never escaped the 49ers pass rush from Charles Haley the way Hostetler did). Also, drafting Jake Long with the #1 pick b/c he was too lazy to negotiate a contract with Matt Ryan -- there are many other examples (including his ill-advised starting of Scott Brunner over Simms in 1983 that almost got him fired after his first season as Giant's HC).

He did the same thing in 1999, stuck with Rick Mirer too long instead of switching to Ray Lucas earlier. One more win would have probably gotten the Jets a playoff apperance.

He sort of blew the Jets getting Peyton Manning, because Manning wanted a guarantee the Jets would take him first overall if he came out in 1997 rather than 1998. Parcells wouldn't give it to him. Some people point out it might have been impossible due to salary cap considerations. On the other hand don't you try to make that work? Sounds a lot like the Matt Ryan thing you mentioned.

On the other hand, I have to give some respect to Parcells in regards to QB's. As bad as he was at picking them, he often got them to perform to their potential. While guys like Belichick and Walsh got to ride hall of fame QB's, Parcells actually managed to win with average to below average guys. He won superbowls with Simms and Hostetler. He took Bledsoe to the superbowl (Bledsoe was probably his best QB). He got Vinny Testaverde to an AFC championship game.

He did the same thing in 1999, stuck with Rick Mirer too long instead of switching to Ray Lucas earlier. One more win would have probably gotten the Jets a playoff apperance.

He sort of blew the Jets getting Peyton Manning, because Manning wanted a guarantee the Jets would take him first overall if he came out in 1997 rather than 1998. Parcells wouldn't give it to him. Some people point out it might have been impossible due to salary cap considerations. On the other hand don't you try to make that work? Sounds a lot like the Matt Ryan thing you mentioned.

On the other hand, I have to give some respect to Parcells in regards to QB's. As bad as he was at picking them, he often got them to perform to their potential. While guys like Belichick and Walsh got to ride hall of fame QB's, Parcells actually managed to win with average to below average guys. He won superbowls with Simms and Hostetler. He took Bledsoe to the superbowl (Bledsoe was probably his best QB). He got Vinny Testaverde to an AFC championship game.

Walsh thought Simms was better than Montana initially -- so you could argue that Parcells should have gotten more than 1 SB from Simms during his best years (83-88). No head coach rides a HOF QB (i.e. deserves no credit for developing them) unless they somehow were HOF material before they got to the team (i.e. John Fox now with Manning) -- no one wanted Brady at first, and Montana was thought to be too slight of build to do well in the NFL.

Parcells' philosophy was not QB-friendly at all: Run the ball, great defense, and QB doesn't lose us the game. That only wins championships when you have a GREAT defense -- which Parcells never had after leaving the Giants. Everyone has weaknesses -- Parcells' was QB management. I don't give him a lot of credit for Bledsoe or Testaverde -- both those teams were driven by Curtis Martin offensively and a Belichick-coached defense.

I doubt he would have retired if he truly knew what he had in Romo. Think about it -- the 07 Cowboys won 13 games with Wade Phillips -- imagine how good they would have been with a real HC.

1 person likes this