Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sasnumberonefan

Nelson Cruz 2014 Outlook

432 posts in this topic

Looks like Mariners and Tigers could be destinations for him. For those of us who draft early, he could be had very cheap before he signs somewhere. I'm intrigued and I think he can put up good numbers off PED's as I believe he wasn't on them last year (but honestly, who knows). Worth a flier. Discuss.

Regardless of his productivity when he's on the field, he's never all that healthy. He reminds me a lot of Michael Morse, whom the M's were in love with last year until they saw how fragile he was. My guess is that they'll sign Cruz and realize things too late yet again. Oh, and their park is still crappy for right-handed power hitters, so expect a park related decline on top of any other decline he's about to experience (age, PED's, etc.)

I'm not much of a fan at all, and I'll gladly let the next guy take him, even if Cruz is "super cheap.' Too much risk for my blood.

I think anything past 14 team leagues he is a solid sleeper play. Maybe sleeper isn't the word but regardless where he ends up he can do well with his 400abs should hope he doesn't isn't out to to injury during playoff time though. In a roto with solid amount of DL I think this man is money.

Looks like Mariners and Tigers could be destinations for him. For those of us who draft early, he could be had very cheap before he signs somewhere. I'm intrigued and I think he can put up good numbers off PED's as I believe he wasn't on them last year (but honestly, who knows). Worth a flier. Discuss.

Where have you heard Cruz might be going to the Tigers? While it makes sense, there has been no indication that the Tigers are even a tiny bit interested.

Where have you heard Cruz might be going to the Tigers? While it makes sense, there has been no indication that the Tigers are even a tiny bit interested.

Sorry, I was just going off of speculation from the 2013 Nellie Cruz thread.

To the O's he goes, 1 yr 8m. I feel like thats a steal for Bal

A big steal at that price and years...don't know how other teams didn't offer more for one year.

I wish it was a multi year deal, or at least an option for another 1 or 2 years. Other than that, I like the signing. The O's are having a strong end to the offseason. Cruz should be good this year likely hitting 5th in a very good O's lineup.

He should fire his agent, and kick himself in the butt - maybe next year more players will just take their qualifying offers and try again the following year.

Your play boras (ie drew and morales) - something tells me your ego won't allow you to admit you screwed up again and you'll continue to harm your clients if they're lucky enough to get offers like this at this stage

As a mets fan it's great to know that we signed Chris young for $7.5 and Cruz went for $8...

Great signing for Baltimore, improves their lineup tremendously

4 people like this

As a mets fan it's great to know that we signed Chris young for $7.5 and Cruz went for $8...

Except Cruz sucks and has been a worse player in the last three years than Young (3.9 fWAR compared to 7.5 fWAR). Young is an infinitely better defender (and can also play center field) and also knows how to take a walk. The Mets made the right choice. Cruz is a s---y player overall, and it's possible the O's still overpaid for him even at only $8 million for one year (because they also lose a 2nd round draft choice, which has solid value as well).

2 people like this

Except Cruz sucks and has been a worse player in the last three years than Young (3.9 fWAR compared to 7.5 fWAR). Young is an infinitely better defender (and can also play center field) and also knows how to take a walk. The Mets made the right choice. Cruz is a s---y player overall, and it's possible the O's still overpaid for him even at only $8 million for one year (because they also lose a 2nd round draft choice, which has solid value as well).

Yeah, but for a DH (which is where the Orioles will play him), Cruz is the better hitter. And it's not about Young vs. Cruz. Orioles needed to upgrade their DH. They accomplished that.

I wanted Morales much more than Cruz. But for $8 million, there's very little risk. Orioles Park is a great ballpark for any power hitter, so there's lots of value in this signing.

1 person likes this

27 HRs in 409 ABs last year... I'll take a flier on him. Goes from one loaded lineup to another, should have plenty of RBI chances.

There's an old saying, "There are no bad 1 year contracts". It's a solid signing by the O's to see if Cruz can add RH power to the lineup. Cruz should have some real success with the short power alley in left-center at Camden. At 33-34, he should still be able to play and although he's a bit fragile, 25+ power is scarce and generally always paid in the bigs. For the O's to get him at such a value is the right play.

The risks are that he's been lousy as a DH throughout his career and he'll be battling the debated "DH penalty" phenomenon. He'll play some corner OF though. His OWar the last 3 years averaged out to be about a 2.0, while his defense brought his bWAR down (1.3). So if he can handle being a DH, then the O's will have a nice signing....

As far as Cruz, personally, his agent totally overplayed his hand and cost he and his family a bunch of dough.....unless Cruz was adamant about his price. Nellie's sort of good natured guy, so I can't see that being the case.

Posted · Hidden by Patrick Bateman, February 22, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

Is he a keeper now in this lineup? 14 teams/6 keepers per team.

I agree with everything said by the last three posters said. Excellent signing. It could have incentives to make it more money.

Yeah, but for a DH (which is where the Orioles will play him), Cruz is the better hitter. And it's not about Young vs. Cruz. Orioles needed to upgrade their DH. They accomplished that.

I wanted Morales much more than Cruz. But for $8 million, there's very little risk. Orioles Park is a great ballpark for any power hitter, so there's lots of value in this signing.

If power is the only way you judge value, then you'd fit right in among the likes of Ruben Amaro and Jack Zduriencik as GM's. And you'd be losing every year, too.

If power is the only way you judge value, then you'd fit right in among the likes of Ruben Amaro and Jack Zduriencik as GM's. And you'd be losing every year, too.

I'm not sure you get it. The Orioles had a .704 OPS from DH last year. Cruz's Worst offensive season in the last 6 years was .779 OPS. Every other year has been above .800 in that span.

Sure, it comes with risks because of the PED thing, and his Health, and maybe not being as motivated as a DH (he is career .784 OPS Hitter as a DH)

But its only 8 Mil. Which on this Market, is nothing.

Bottom line. He improves the Orioles chances in 2014. Also he is saying their is great value in his power because Camden Yards Caters to power hitter. Not because power is the only way one judges.

3 people like this

Wow, I figured he'd get a 2 yr/20mil deal. Great signing by the O's. He's going to give them power. I expect 30+ HRs at Camden and the AL East.

2 people like this

When judging between just Cruz and Morales what more should they be looking at? Cruz has shown more consistent power but suffers from more nagging injuries. Age wouldn't matter on a 1 year contract. Defense ability is immaterial as neither for the O's should make the defensive field.

Not being quarrelsome but if there is am intangible offensive stat I would like to know for trading or drafting. As for as much as I can see I'd rather have Cruz in Camden Yards.

I'm not sure you get it. The Orioles had a .704 OPS from DH last year. Cruz's Worst offensive season in the last 6 years was .779 OPS. Every other year has been above .800 in that span.

Sure, it comes with risks because of the PED thing, and his Health, and maybe not being as motivated as a DH (he is career .784 OPS Hitter as a DH)

Bottom line. He improves the Orioles chances in 2014. Also he is saying their is great value in his power because Camden Yards Caters to power hitter. Not because power is the only way one judges.

Oh, I get it. Perhaps it's you who doesn't understand proper valuation. When you learn how to not capitalize random words in sentences, that's when I'll take you seriously. In the mean time, Cruz is a mediocre player with one skill set that doesn't necessarily play any better in his new park than his old haunting grounds. Defensive prowess and OBP are legitimate assessments of value, and Cruz is pretty crappy within those parameters. When he learns how to actually not suck at those, give me a call.

Oh, I get it. Perhaps it's you who doesn't understand proper valuation. When you learn how to not capitalize random words in sentences, that's when I'll take you seriously. In the mean time, Cruz is a mediocre player with one skill set that doesn't necessarily play any better in his new park than his old haunting grounds. Defensive prowess and OBP are legitimate assessments of value, and Cruz is pretty crappy within those parameters. When he learns how to actually not suck at those, give me a call.

Defense doesn't matter for this year. He will be a DH. He won't be in the field. That's like saying Ortiz isn't that good because he is terrible at defense. A DH is meant to hit the ball. Judging them based off of their defense doesn't make any sense.