Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orion Braun

Dee Gordon 2014 Outlook

977 posts in this topic

Sorry guys, but I had to start this after seeing this picture: http://i.imgur.com/Tpvyx9b.jpg

Someone's been hitting the weights this offseason... but... but... this isn't going to change anyone's mind about him this year right? If you're in a deep league, is he worth a flier, in the off chance that Guerrero doesn't pan out and he starts seeing some ABs at 2B?

(I really just wanted to an excuse to post the picture :D )

1 person likes this

Dude not only had zero power but was one of the skinniest guys in the league. Don't know what he's on, but as long as he keeps testing clean, it can only help, as if he hits with any power while not losing any speed his value will skyrocket.

Remember reading a few weeks ago the Dodgers aren't crazy about Guerrero's defense. If Guerrero shows he isn't ready and Gordon opens eyes during ST can see a scenario where Gordon gets the 2b gig and Guerrero gets more seasoning in minors. In which case he's definitely worth a late round flyer.

So Guerrero doesn't have a good bat and can't play defense. Sounds like a solid signing.

4 people like this

So Guerrero doesn't have a good bat and can't play defense. Sounds like a solid signing.

LOL - I'm looking forward to seeing him this spring, the dude's scouting reports are ALL OVER THE PLACE! Consensus I'm gathering is exactly what you said, everything leaves a bit to be desired for a everyday player.

Dude not only had zero power but was one of the skinniest guys in the league. Don't know what he's on, but as long as he keeps testing clean, it can only help, as if he hits with any power while not losing any speed his value will skyrocket.

Remember reading a few weeks ago the Dodgers aren't crazy about Guerrero's defense. If Guerrero shows he isn't ready and Gordon opens eyes during ST can see a scenario where Gordon gets the 2b gig and Guerrero gets more seasoning in minors. In which case he's definitely worth a late round flyer.

If Dee has actually gained strength proportional to his size gains it can only help in not getting the bat knocked out of his hands. The heck with over the fence power.

1 person likes this

Makes me wonder why it took him until THIS offseason to get on a proper nutrition and lifting program. He was probably sub 150 the last few years, I know some guys have absurd metabolisms but he should have been drinking 1000 calorie shakes like 5 times a day.

Makes me wonder why it took him until THIS offseason to get on a proper nutrition and lifting program. He was probably sub 150 the last few years, I know some guys have absurd metabolisms but he should have been drinking 1000 calorie shakes like 5 times a day.

Wouldn't that just make him fat?

1 person likes this

Wouldn't that just make him fat?

Yes. This guy should have been working on his bunting and fielding instead of hitting the weights. I guess this has to help after the season he had last year.

If Dee Gordon gets any kind of PT this year....

Easily 40+ SB's , maybe pushing 50.

Just sayin'

Dee Gordon is in a 3 step program to become a useful fantasy player.

Gain weight/Strength..........................check

Learn how to hit..................................TBD

Learn to play adequate defense.........TBD

5 people like this

If Dee Gordon gets any kind of PT this year....

Easily 40+ SB's , maybe pushing 50.

Just sayin'

What if any kind of PT is once a week?

2 people like this

Looks like Gordon has the edge on Guerrero ... so far:

ESPN's Jim Bowden said the consensus in Dodgers camp is Dee Gordon is the "front runner" for the starting second base job.

Bowden also said the feeling is that Alex Guerrero needs to start the year at Triple-A based on how he's performed thus far. Guerrero's defense seems to be the biggest stumbling block in his pursuit of the starting job. Even if Gordon does win the job out of spring, don't expect the Dodgers to bury their $28 million commitment for long.

Related: Dee Gordon

Source: Jim Bowden on Twitter

Mar 1 - 10:02 PM

1 person likes this

if Gordon keeps the starting job, no matter how crappy his average is, his SBs will be in 30-40s.

If Gordon keeps the job he steal more than that.

1 person likes this

I had a feeling that Gordon would be a starter on this team, at least for the early part of the season.

Up to him to keep it.

if Gordon keeps the starting job, no matter how crappy his average is, his SBs will be in 30-40s.

If Gordon keeps the job he steal more than that.

If you could guarantee him playing 150 games his floor would be 45 SB and ceiling around 60.

If his strength doesn't hinder his speed, he's an easy late speed target in drafts. Short term could do great, but I doubt he keeps that 2B job all year.

I would draft him late if he has the job. Very low risk move since he's basically going undrafted right now

You would think so, which may actually somewhat limit his attempts unless he's posting a crazy high success rate. Kid's got all kinds of speed… I wish him well.

I'm a whore for wheels like that. I'll draft him again. :ph34r:

1 person likes this

If he hits 8th that would lower his steal oppurtunities because of how often the pitcher would bunt him over... Regardless he would steal if its late in agame with a pinch hitter, if the pitcher whiffs the bunt, or stealing 3rd.

I drafted this guy in like the 8th round a few years ago. Glutton for punishment I guess, I'll probably draft him again this year.

I'll never forget watching the game where Dee hit a home run two years ago when he was on my team. I literally jumped out of my seat and thought I witnessed the second coming of christ. He is a frustrating but kind of fun player to own especially if you love steals.

1 person likes this

I'll never forget watching the game where Dee hit a home run two years ago when he was on my team. I literally jumped out of my seat and thought I witnessed the second coming of christ. He is a frustrating but kind of fun player to own especially if you love steals.

I benched him for that game. Think it was in Colorado. I'm with you though I love big speed. I'll grab him late in both of my leagues and hope he seizes the opportunity this time around.

I benched him for that game. Think it was in Colorado. I'm with you though I love big speed. I'll grab him late in both of my leagues and hope he seizes the opportunity this time around.

Yep. it was a day game in colorado. Best day of my life.