yankeefan2116

Raimel Tapia - OF COL

Tapia exploded onto the scene last season with a strong showing in the Pioneer League. He hit 357/399/562 with 7 HR, 49 RBI, and 10 SB (9 CS) as a 19 year old. He also had a 29 game hitting streak.

Jason Parks has been hyping him lately and put him at #97 in the BP 101 and #3 in the Rockies system ahead of Dahl and Herrera.

Bret Sayre had this to say in his free, dynasty OF rankings:

"In almost 200 games across the Dominican Summer League and Rookie Ball, Tapia has shown a very strong foundation of skills. With great hand-eye coordination, the ability to barrel up the ball, projectable 20 HR power and solid outfield defense, this kid could be a worth taking note of before it gets too late."

BA had this to say in their organizational rankings (free rankings, just have to sign up):

"Tapia has exceptional hand-eye coordination and doesn’t strike out much. He keeps his hands back and has a knack for putting his barrel on the ball, even on pitches well out of the strike zone, with a short, lefthanded stroke. He has a loose, wiry frame with plenty of room for added strength and ultimately should be able to hit at least 20 home runs per season. He played all three outfield positions at Grand Junction and could stay in center field long term, depending on how much he grows. He has enough range to stay up the middle and a plus arm that will play well in right."

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/26271672/v31254277/top-prospects-raimel-tapia-of-rockies

Anyways, most scouts I've seen on Twitter tend to agree that Tapia is a big candidate to jump up lists this season. He has 5 tool potential and can grow a bit in the power department.

He might not be up until 2016 at the earliest, but he's someone to grab before he jumps up the lists.

Purple Row, one of the better SB sites, has been pimping him since last year.

Hey, at least he is aware of his lack of plate discipline.

"The organization hasn't said anything to me about my lack of walks, but I know I need to take more".

http://www.purplerow.com/2013/8/12/4604706/rockies-prospects-raimel-tapia-grand-junction

Edited by bbythepier

Yes - This year is going to be monumental for him. He's proven he can hit rookie ball, but hopefully he can get some action at High A or Double A this year so we can see what he can really do. Also, he's listed at 160 lbs, so yeah he's got a lot of room to grow. I hope he's not henry urrutia type.

Edited by David Light

Reminds me of Taveras. One of the biggest things to look for in a fantasy prospect is the words "bat speed."

Make no mistake, this is a guy who could explode this year. One of my favorite potential risers.

Jason Parks has been hyping him lately and put him at #97 in the BP 101 and #3 in the Rockies system ahead of Dahl and Herrera.

I like Tapia a lot, but not more than Dahl or Herrera. I would trade him for either of them in any format in a heartbeat and I'd be willing to throw in extra.

I like Tapia a lot, but not more than Dahl or Herrera. I would trade him for either of them in any format in a heartbeat and I'd be willing to throw in extra.

I would take Tapia over Herrera right now without question. I don't think he's as legit as everyone thinks

• Like 2

Yeah Herrera took 2 years at the same level. Thats never a good thing. Tapia put up better overall numbers his 1st season of rookie ball than Herrera did as well.

Yeah Herrera took 2 years at the same level. Thats never a good thing. Tapia put up better overall numbers his 1st season of rookie ball than Herrera did as well.

You do realize that if Tapia repeats what he did in rookie ball in A ball Herrera's 2013 A ball performances would have netted a better fantasy performance before even factoring positional scarcity.

If these guys were born in America they would be separated by one high school graduating class. Herrera took a couple years to find himself but last year was legit. You are thinking he's going to drop off of the map because of one bad season as a 19 year old.

Amazed he is ahead of Dahl. Guess that is considering injuries..

GO ROCKIES!

Very excited that I snatched this guy at pick #36 in my NL-only dynasty, yesterday. A site I enjoy reading had him ranked as the #30 NL OF on their Top 500 dynasty league list, ahead of other guys who were available, but taken much sooner, such as Khris Davis (pick #2), Austin Meadows (pick #3), and Hunter Renfroe (pick #6).

Where he ranks, according to this list:

#292 overall

#153 among NL players

#88 among NL hitters

#58 among MLB OFs

#30 among NL OFs

He hasn't had an AB above rookie ball correct? I think we should see him at either high a or double a before we start jumping for joy.

He hasn't had an AB above rookie ball correct? I think we should see him at either high a or double a before we start jumping for joy.

natrually, but at the same time the right people in the right places have been buzzing a bit about him. for those of us who play in deeper leagues (i have a 16 team dynasty league with the option of carrying up to 10 minor leaguers off the MLB roster) he's someone to jump on now. Everything about his profile and the buzz he's getting screams "riser" which is exactly what I've been looking for

everyone in my league has read top 100 lists from BR, BA, BP, dynastyguru, faketeams, etc. We know those guys like the back of our hand at this point. Those emerging talents who have a shot to rise up lists next year are what we're all looking for. And based on the reports this spring it seems like Tapia is THE emerging talent of those emerging talent.

Yes, expectations should be tempered, but all of this is relative. I'm not saying he's a lock to be a solid ML regular. But he is looking like someone who could be more then that.

• Like 3

Since Tapia is a prospect that can be a top 20 player in the future. Which other players do you have in mind that have emerging talent like this?

Also, he's listed at 160 lbs, so yeah he's got a lot of room to grow. I hope he's not henry urrutia type.

He's listed as 160 lbs, but that's outdated (as are a lot of the listed weights for young minor leaguers). He's closer to 180 lbs.

Since Tapia is a prospect that can be a top 20 player in the future. Which other players do you have in mind that have emerging talent like this?

francisco mejia, alberto tirado, amed rosario, alexander reyes, lewis thorpe, sena manaea, nick williams all look like names to watch for me right now. there's more but those would be who i would deem the big potential risers.

all come with caveats though. concerns over tapia's lower half

• Like 1

Rockies prospect OF Raimel Tapia reached base five times on Monday, as he was 3-for-3 with a home run, four RBI and two walks for Low-A Asheville.

The home run was Tapia's third of the season, and the 20-year-old is now batting .279/.331/.393 with 10 extra-base hits, 24 RBI and seven steals through 37 games. After a slow start to his full-season debut, Tapia has on fire through 15 games this month, with a .333/.393/.500 batting line, five extra-base hits and a much improved 10/4 strikeout to walk ratio. While he's one of the game's more intriguing young position prospects, Tapia will require a few more years of seasoning in the minors before the Rockies give him a crack at the highest level.

A blurb from Rotoworld on May 20th. He had a slow start but he has been hitting better lately. GO TAPIA!!!

Hitting .295 with 4 HR's, 32 RBI's, and 7 SB's in 47 games. 5.5% BB% and 19.5 K%.

As Under500 pointed out, Tapia got off to a little bit of a slow start, but he's definitely picked it up as of late.

• Like 1

Rockies outfield prospect Raimel Tapia went 5-for-7 with a home run on Saturday for Low-A Asheville.

Tapia is hitting a solid .306/.348/.445 with 12 doubles, one triple, and five home runs for the season, though his home/road splits are troubling. The Asheville Tourists' home park, McCormick Field, is a great park for hitters, and especially left-handed hitters. He is hitting .373/.398/.608 with nine doubles and five home runs at home, and .243/.303/.290 with three doubles and one triple on the road.

Interesting to note about the home/away splits. He's still raw though and has lots to learn.

Went to a tourists game Thursday kid looks good as well as McMahon Dahl was the only one to go yard. But all three real good looking prospects. Their home ball park is def not for a low scoring affair.

The one thing though is that sure the home park is a hitter's park, but assuming Tapia, Dahl, and McMahon stay with Colorado and make it to the show, their MLB home park will also be a hitter's park. It's not like these guys are going to be hitting at Petco or Safeco in the MLB. They will be hitting at Coors field, the premier hitters park in the MLB. Sure the away split needs to improve either way, but all these guys are still raw in their game. Tons of upside, but they have lots to learn.

Ryan Parker @RA_Parker · Mar 27

Tapia gets two more hits including a no doubt homer. 7 hit . No question.

Ryan Parker @RA_Parker · Mar 23

Tapia was Tapia in BP. His barrel and the middle of the ball have a magnetic relationship. Until the ball zooms away that is.

Parker is a writer for Baseball Prospectus for those who did not know.