yankeefan2116

Raimel Tapia - OF COL

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

I am not convinced he has 20 homer pop in his bat even at coors.

Yea, I don't think its a sure thing but its possible. He can really hit so he just needs to hit some nice fly balls that will carry out at Coors. I think he will be in the 15-20 range. 

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

What's his ceiling? Marte lite?

I go with super marte lite.   Hitting at the bottom of colorodo lineup he wont have many runs.  He doesnt hit for much power at all, and isnt a speedster.  But can steal bases.  He can hit avg.  Having a plus hit tool and playing in coors I could see in his prime.

70runs 6homers 70rbi 12 sb batting .300

18 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

I go with super marte lite.   Hitting at the bottom of colorodo lineup he wont have many runs.  He doesnt hit for much power at all, and isnt a speedster.  But can steal bases.  He can hit avg.  Having a plus hit tool and playing in coors I could see in his prime.

Hit tools seem to play up to more power @Coors. Arenado was not known to be a power hitter coming up but had elite contact skills. We all know how that turned out. Tapia definitely won't do that, but i could see double digit dingers because of the ballpark. How many full time players for the Rockies haven't had double digit dingers in recent history?

24 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

I'd bump that up to 10-15 hrs with 20 sbs. 

• Like 2

Hes been called back up, though I'm not sure why.  There doesn't seem to be any place for him to get at bats.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:48 AM, Baseball Or Bust said:

You think a .300 hitter in his prime is only scoring 70 runs at Coors?

5 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

You think a .300 hitter in his prime is only scoring 70 runs at Coors?

A little odd to bring this back up over two months later, but if he was hitting at the bottom of the lineup like the person said, then yes.  Not everyone can score 90-100 in a lineup no matter how good it is.

55 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

A little odd to bring this back up over two months later, but if he was hitting at the bottom of the lineup like the person said, then yes.  Not everyone can score 90-100 in a lineup no matter how good it is.

I just read it for the first time, so I'm replying to it. If there is an issue with that I'm sure the mods will handle it.

You think a .300 hitter in his prime is going to continue towards the bottom of the lineup? Is there logic behind this?

Heck, even this year (when the majority of his at bats come towards the bottom of the lineup) Tapia has 30 total starts with 17 runs in those starts. That's 85+ runs scored pace. Calling for 70 runs scored in his prime seems bit silly.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

I just read it for the first time, so I'm replying to it. If there is an issue with that I'm sure the mods will handle it.

You think a .300 hitter in his prime is going to continue towards the bottom of the lineup? Is there logic behind this?

Heck, even this year (when the majority of his at bats come towards the bottom of the lineup) Tapia has 30 total starts with 17 runs in those starts. That's 85+ runs scored pace. Calling for 70 runs scored in his prime seems bit silly.

I never said he would hit near the bottom of the lineup for sure.  The person you quoted yesterday made the 70 run prediction based on him hitting there, which is where I was coming from in my response to your post.

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I never said he would hit near the bottom of the lineup for sure.  The person you quoted yesterday made the 70 run prediction based on him hitting there, which is where I was coming from in my response to your post.

And I'm saying his prediction is dumb.

Even this year where the majority of his at bats are coming from the bottom half of the order he is still on pace for 85+ runs. 70 runs in his prime? Dumb.

2 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

And I'm saying his prediction is dumb.

Even this year where the majority of his at bats are coming from the bottom half of the order he is still on pace for 85+ runs. 70 runs in his prime? Dumb.

True, maybe 70 is low, but it's not a big deal.

5 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

True, maybe 70 is low, but it's not a big deal.

When we are talking about prospects, capping 

theit ceiling/prime unfairly low is worth pointing out IMO.

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

Desmond to DL. 

While that MIGHT get Tapia called back to Denver, I doubt it'll do much for his PT prospects.  He played enough during his last stint only because Parra was out & Gonzalez wasn't all the way back...that, and Raimel was producing so it made sense to give him every opportunity at the time.  

But now, Parra is back, Gonzalez is showing signs of life and Blackmon has CF on lockdown so if they do call Tapia back up to cover a Desmond DL stint, I don't see much in the way of regular PT to make him real useful for we weekly guys.  I'd almost rather he stay at AAA and get regular ABs than come up for 2 weeks to play 2-3 times with PH/PR duty here and there.

I'm sure in dynasty leagues this guy is mostly owned, but this year he did well in Spring Training and is tearing it up in AAA this year. Batting .303 4hrs 13rbi's.  4th fastest player in MLB last year per statcast.  I'm sure he will be called up soon, something has to wake up the Rockies. Watching both games on Monday and Tuesday at Coors was painful! 

Posted (edited)

Heating back up - 3 hit night Tuesday 5/1 & another yesterday brings his season average back over .300 & has hit safely in 12 of past 15 games.

Still not showing much in power department & K/BB ratio leaving a lot to be desired but I still think that will develop as his body does. He's not going to just stay at 160lb range forever.

COL outfield is crowded but take away Blackmon & it's not much to look at. Parra, Desmond, CarGo & Dahl are a whole lot of meh.

Edited by wayzupusc

Posted (edited)

This guy ever going to get another shot? Having a solid season & hit safely in 14 of last 16 games including several multi-hit games with 4 SB in his last 10. On the season, he's 18/19 on stolen base attempts. 

2018 slash line is currently .306/.352/.529 with a .881 OPS. I can't see how COL wouldn't have use of him, especially given the way Blackmon has been a black hole the past 8 weeks or so & CarGo isn't getting any younger. 

Edited by wayzupusc

He's actually no longer a prospect, so this thread can probably be locked now. In general though, contracts to players like Cargo/Desmond/Parra have continued to hamstring the organization at the expense of developing players like Tapia/McMahon/Dahl. Unless they can trade away one of those unnecessary contracts, Tapia remains blocked for everyday AB's.

Ah...I thought any posts/updates/info on players in MILB were to go in MILB forum on the pertinent thread. 

Kind of sad what they’ve done to this guy.  I get that he’s blocked but they really didn’t have to waste money to block him they could of got the production for team friendly deal.  He should probably be dealt now.  No reason to keep holding his career back.  Doubt he’s ever much of a factor outside of Coors but there’s some tools to like here.

Called back up - though on the bench today behind Cargo and Parra. Unfotunately, no guarantee of everyday playing time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I will never get the rockies (along with the Mets). Tapia was one of the hottest hitters in AAA. And he's been MLB ready since opening day last season. But you call him up to get 1 AB every 3 days while playing a guy like Cuevas, who has no upside and will never be a MLB regular. How can any hitter prove that he belongs when only getting 1 AB but then gets demoted when hes not 'hitting much'?

I read the other day that since the rockies are doing somewhat ok in the last couple of weeks, that they want to hold off bringing up prospects. First things first, the rockies are going nowhere this season. I can't even believe that their management thinks that their little win streak means they could be a contender.

They need to shed their dead weight, trade the guys that aren't in their plans for the future and start calling up their future. Generally young prospects either come in and do well from the start or they struggle. But they all hit walls and then it's the adjustments they make after that that has them tapping into their true potential. It's better to get thru that in a down season rather then calling them up, and not playing them daily. Then sending them down at the slightest hint of a struggle. There's nothing worse then that in player development. It causes the players to overthink everything and be in constant fear of being demoted. Rather then letting them make the necessary adjustments. 

The Rockies need to:

Play Tapia everyday.

Make the necessary trades and cuts.

Callup Garrett Hampson immediately (I believe Hampson has a bit more untapped power that's coming and he will be one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball with his truly elite plate discipline, hit tool and advanced ability at stealing bases), also he's got nothing to prove in the hitters paradise of ABQ. And f-ing give Jordan Patterson a legit shot. His power would be a much needed shot for the Rockies offense.

Start promoting your prospects that are too good for their levels like Brendan Rodgers, Colton Welker, Sam Hilliard, Tyler Nevin and Brian Mundell. And please promote Chad Spanberger & Casey Golden(Spanberger is one of my favorite unheralded prospects in the minors/Spanberger is going to be a monster for the Rockies one day). And they should skip HiA for Spanberger. He doesn't need to play at Lancaster, it won't even be a challenge.

I hate seeing my Rockies do nothing positive for their rebuild. They have legit  future monster hitters but they don't seem to challenge them and take forever to make the necessary moves to bring them up

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

And please promote Chad Spanberger (Spanberger is one of my favorite unheralded prospects in the minors/Spanberger is going to be a monster for the Rockies one day). And they should skip HiA for Spanberger. He doesn't need to play at Lancaster, it won't even be a challenge.

Roberto Ramos is also looking very solid at AA (only a year older than Spanberger, recently won the A+ home run derby and followed his promotion to AA with 2 HR's off of Justin Dunn - who is generating a lot of buzz for the Mets in his own right). Two very nice 1B prospects behind McMahon (who is finally starting to hit again himself).

• Like 1