yankeefan2116

Raimel Tapia - OF COL

3 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

I will never get the rockies (along with the Mets). Tapia was one of the hottest hitters in AAA. And he's been MLB ready since opening day last season. But you call him up to get 1 AB every 3 days while playing a guy like Cuevas, who has no upside and will never be a MLB regular. How can any hitter prove that he belongs when only getting 1 AB but then gets demoted when hes not 'hitting much'?

I read the other day that since the rockies are doing somewhat ok in the last couple of weeks, that they want to hold off bringing up prospects. First things first, the rockies are going nowhere this season. I can't even believe that their management thinks that their little win streak means they could be a contender.

They need to shed their dead weight, trade the guys that aren't in their plans for the future and start calling up their future. Generally young prospects either come in and do well from the start or they struggle. But they all hit walls and then it's the adjustments they make after that that has them tapping into their true potential. It's better to get thru that in a down season rather then calling them up, and not playing them daily. Then sending them down at the slightest hint of a struggle. There's nothing worse then that in player development. It causes the players to overthink everything and be in constant fear of being demoted. Rather then letting them make the necessary adjustments. 

The Rockies need to:

Play Tapia everyday.

Make the necessary trades and cuts.

Callup Garrett Hampson immediately (I believe Hampson has a bit more untapped power that's coming and he will be one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball with his truly elite plate discipline, hit tool and advanced ability at stealing bases), also he's got nothing to prove in the hitters paradise of ABQ. And f-ing give Jordan Patterson a legit shot. His power would be a much needed shot for the Rockies offense.

Start promoting your prospects that are too good for their levels like Brendan Rodgers, Colton Welker, Sam Hilliard, Tyler Nevin and Brian Mundell. And please promote Chad Spanberger & Casey Golden(Spanberger is one of my favorite unheralded prospects in the minors/Spanberger is going to be a monster for the Rockies one day). And they should skip HiA for Spanberger. He doesn't need to play at Lancaster, it won't even be a challenge.

I hate seeing my Rockies do nothing positive for their rebuild. They have legit  future monster hitters but they don't seem to challenge them and take forever to make the necessary moves to bring them up

Rockies have done an incredible job of stalling their prospects and reducing their trade value.  Someone's going to reap the benefits from this, but they did the same thing you're talking about with Tapia to both Dahl and McMahon as well.  How on earth is a young player supposed to hit and prove his mettle when he starts once a week and PHs the rest of the time?

It's been absurd prospect handling by Bud Black, and tacit endorsement of said handling by the management that's let him do this (and that gave him these scrub veterans to continue playing).

Parra is a 4th OF.  Period.  Zero idea why he plays half as much as he does.

Desmond has played fairly well since his horrific start to the year, so hard to complain about that one.  CarGo?  He's got a .761 OPS in Coors.  Think about that.

The bad news for all these guys - Tapia, McMahon, Hampson, etc. - is that Dahl's likely to start a rehab assignment soon.  Will Black play him?  Who knows?  But it's another body thrown in the mix, and the Rockies don't seem like sellers currently (though they probably should be).  

The future of this team should be McMahon, Hampson, Story, Arenado around the IF with Tapia, Dahl, and Blackmon in the OF, plus Rodgers and more on the way.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

I will never get the rockies (along with the Mets). Tapia was one of the hottest hitters in AAA. And he's been MLB ready since opening day last season. But you call him up to get 1 AB every 3 days while playing a guy like Cuevas, who has no upside and will never be a MLB regular. How can any hitter prove that he belongs when only getting 1 AB but then gets demoted when hes not 'hitting much'?

I read the other day that since the rockies are doing somewhat ok in the last couple of weeks, that they want to hold off bringing up prospects. First things first, the rockies are going nowhere this season. I can't even believe that their management thinks that their little win streak means they could be a contender.

They need to shed their dead weight, trade the guys that aren't in their plans for the future and start calling up their future. Generally young prospects either come in and do well from the start or they struggle. But they all hit walls and then it's the adjustments they make after that that has them tapping into their true potential. It's better to get thru that in a down season rather then calling them up, and not playing them daily. Then sending them down at the slightest hint of a struggle. There's nothing worse then that in player development. It causes the players to overthink everything and be in constant fear of being demoted. Rather then letting them make the necessary adjustments. 

The Rockies need to:

Play Tapia everyday.

Callup Garrett Hampson immediately (I believe Hampson has a bit more untapped power that's coming and he will be one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball with his truly elite plate discipline, hit tool and advanced ability at stealing bases), also he's got nothing to prove in the hitters paradise of ABQ. And f-ing give Jordan Patterson a legit shot. His power would be a much needed shot for the Rockies offense.

Start promoting your prospects that are too good for their levels like Brendan Rodgers, Colton Welker, Sam Hilliard, Tyler Nevin and Brian Mundell. And please promote Chad Spanberger & Casey Golden(Spanberger is one of my favorite unheralded prospects in the minors/Spanberger is going to be a monster for the Rockies one day). And they should skip HiA for Spanberger. He doesn't need to play at Lancaster, it won't even be a challenge.

I hate seeing my Rockies do nothing positive for their rebuild. They have legit  future monster hitters but they don't seem to challenge them and take forever to make the necessary moves to bring them up

As an impatient owner of Tapia, Hampson, Welker, and Mundell, I couldn't agree with this post more

• Like 1

The way COL has handled Tapia's development/progression makes me want to never have another Rockies prospect ever again.

I honestly thought they had a trade arranged or something when they called him up....I thought for sure CarGo or Parra was leaving Colorado....why else would they call Tapia up just to sit like they did last year? It makes no sense.  But no, there's no trade. It's just COL being COL.

Like I said, it will have to be a special talent for me to ever take on a Rockies prospect in my dynasty league ever again.

6 hours ago, wayzupusc said:

The way COL has handled Tapia's development/progression makes me want to never have another Rockies prospect ever again.

I honestly thought they had a trade arranged or something when they called him up....I thought for sure CarGo or Parra was leaving Colorado....why else would they call Tapia up just to sit like they did last year? It makes no sense.  But no, there's no trade. It's just COL being COL.

Like I said, it will have to be a special talent for me to ever take on a Rockies prospect in my dynasty league ever again.

But then if you miss out on that one...

20 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Rockies have done an incredible job of stalling their prospects and reducing their trade value.  Someone's going to reap the benefits from this, but they did the same thing you're talking about with Tapia to both Dahl and McMahon as well.  How on earth is a young player supposed to hit and prove his mettle when he starts once a week and PHs the rest of the time?

It's been absurd prospect handling by Bud Black, and tacit endorsement of said handling by the management that's let him do this (and that gave him these scrub veterans to continue playing).

Desmond has played fairly well since his horrific start to the year, so hard to complain about that one.  CarGo?  He's got a .761 OPS in Coors.  Think about that.

The bad news for all these guys - Tapia, McMahon, Hampson, etc. - is that Dahl's likely to start a rehab assignment soon.  Will Black play him?  Who knows?  But it's another body thrown in the mix, and the Rockies don't seem like sellers currently (though they probably should be).  

The future of this team should be McMahon, Hampson, Story, Arenado around the IF with Tapia, Dahl, and Blackmon in the OF, plus Rodgers and more on the way.

McMahon has been brutal when getting playing. Dahl can't stay healthy. Tapia hasn't really done much to force anything (outside of good avg. and OBP) I don't blame them for not moving on from the older guys yet. 

12 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

McMahon has been brutal when getting playing. Dahl can't stay healthy. Tapia hasn't really done much to force anything (outside of good avg. and OBP) I don't blame them for not moving on from the older guys yet. 

It's not my team, and I don't have a lot invested in any of these players, so I won't belabor the point ... that said, none of these players were given everyday opportunities to settle into a role.  McMahon made the team out of ST and started 2 of their first 13 games, riding the pine otherwise save pinch hitting (which is one of the toughest things to do in the game).

So, get on a roll out of ST, sit the bench for 2 weeks, then try to produce.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, JFS179 said:

It's not my team, and I don't have a lot invested in any of these players, so I won't belabor the point ... that said, none of these players were given everyday opportunities to settle into a role.  McMahon made the team out of ST and started 2 of their first 13 games, riding the pine otherwise save pinch hitting (which is one of the toughest things to do in the game).

So, get on a roll out of ST, sit the bench for 2 weeks, then try to produce.  Good luck.

Organizations often face a decision in trying to decide whether to compliment guys like Arenado and Blackmon with other veterans or bring up young guys and give them regular playing time not knowing who will fall on their face or flourish.   

Getting Parra, Desmond, Iannetta and bringing back Cargo they must have known would block the path of their youngsters. 

I'm guessing they were hoping to trade some prospects for good pitching. 

I would love to be able to listen to front office people debate these types of decisions and their honest assessments of their own prospects. 

Looking back,  it's easy to see when a plan doesn't work out so good.

19 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

But then if you miss out on that one...

Right...that's me and my love-hate relationship with dynasty league fantasyball....I say this but then next rookie draft we do, my usual best-player-available strategy will have me picking a COL prospect. :ph34r:

21 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

He has 10 HR and 18SB so far this year in AAA. Are you not entertained?!

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, Dark One said:

Roberto Ramos is also looking very solid at AA (only a year older than Spanberger, recently won the A+ home run derby and followed his promotion to AA with 2 HR's off of Justin Dunn - who is generating a lot of buzz for the Mets in his own right). Two very nice 1B prospects behind McMahon (who is finally starting to hit again himself).

Thank you, I totally forgot but meant to mention Roberto Ramos. But he was just promoted to AA and I think that's a good place for him and for him to adjust to the much more advanced AA pitching. But his power is absolutely legit. Saw his 2nd AA game on Milb.tv and the power he hit it with was Gallo-esque.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, JakeSarna said:

The Rockies need to:

Play Tapia everyday.

It is frustrating jake-I too really like their young core of hitters in rockees farm-they end up stagnating in the minors which leads to prospect fatigue and decreased value

On 7/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, JFS179 said:

U are right on the money JFS-couldnt Havre sais it better myself