Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IlliniGuy76

Michael Floyd 2014 Season Outlook

703 posts in this topic

I think Floyd will be a decent WR3 with WR2 upside, but until I see something more from Carson Palmer and the Arizona offense, I'm not reaching for him. I'd rather take a chance on Reuben Randle or someone like that if they're both available. His value is a bit higher in PPR, but I don't think by a large margin. As long as Fitzgerald is there, he'll get the most targets.

P.S. I-L-L

WR3

+1. Guy did finish the season strong, but 2013 was a good year for cheap WR production. With guys like Gordon/Jeffery/Allen etc. pushing their draft stocks up, Floyd should be had at a good price or not at all. Fitz is still there and relevant, and Palmer is nothing to scream about at QB. I agree with above that I would probably rather take a chance on Randle (especially with Nicks more than likely gone) or Terrance Williams.

I believe Floyd has WR1 potential, but I don't believe Palmer can take him there. He's a WR3 for next season with Palmer throwing the ball and Fitz in the picture.

I like him as a WR3 but with Palmer at QB that's about as much as I see him. If Arizona decides to draft a young signal caller I might like him a little bit more but he is hindered by Paalmer IMO.

Not the type of guy I would like to burn one of picks on. Doesn't have the upside that other guys in his range will.

WR3

+1. Guy did finish the season strong, but 2013 was a good year for cheap WR production. With guys like Gordon/Jeffery/Allen etc. pushing their draft stocks up, Floyd should be had at a good price or not at all. Fitz is still there and relevant, and Palmer is nothing to scream about at QB. I agree with above that I would probably rather take a chance on Randle (especially with Nicks more than likely gone) or Terrance Williams.

of those options I would go williams easily. although I would bett he will have the highest ADP so that might not be very insightful.

Would you keep him over someone like Marcus Colston or Jason Witten? I dont think so..... The writing is on the wall for this guy to continue his break out. He is Palmers favorite redzone target, has incredible hands, and has Larry to tutor him. Cant say I see him less than a WR2 next year...66 catches, 1054 yards last year....and a few games he was limited. This isnt his ceiling and TD numbers are a bit fluky too because he easily could have had another 3-4 to his total...so you're looking at close to 75-80 catches, minimum 1100 yards and 8 TDs on the year....i'll take that

I believe Floyd has WR1 potential, but I don't believe Palmer can take him there. He's a WR3 for next season with Palmer throwing the ball and Fitz in the picture.

I echo this, Munde. Loved his flashes last year, and think in the right situation, his upside could be through the roof. But this is just not the right situation. Palmer proved he's an inconsistent QB, and that ARI oline isn't exactly fixed which won't help anything. The talented kid will be a streaky WR3 until the Cards improve the QB and oline play.

WR3

of those options I would go williams easily. although I would bett he will have the highest ADP so that might not be very insightful.

Well considering it is my opinion and not a prediction, I could care less if it is insightful or not. Even if Austin were to be let go, Williams would still be the third option in the passing game at best, and finished behind both Floyd and Randle statistically last season. "Bett" however you choose.

I will take him as a WR2, but I am not really high on his upside. Mostly because of him QB and division. It seems all 4 teams in their division are build on their defense now.

Ill think of him as more of a flex/borderline WR3. Good production last year but I feel like he'll be taken before I'm comfortable with him. When predraft rankings come out they'll be a few guys behind him ill likely "reach" for

problem with labeling him WR3 or WR2 is I don't see consistency. and that can cost you match ups when palmer goes full potato.

would rather draft Kendall Wright for his drastically more reliable production.

obviously have to see prices though.

1 person likes this

It's still very early but Floyd is looking like a no-brainer pick to outperform his ADP (possibly significantly). His current WR ADP per fantasyfootballcalculator is 32. He was a top 25 fantasy scoring WR last season and I certainly expect him to improve as he enters his 3rd season. He's tall, fast, and plays in a Bruce Arian's vertical/aggressive passing offense. I would not be surprised to see him outscore Fitz in 2014. People posting above are worried about his consistency but per ESPN's 2013 Fantasy Consistency Ratings, he was tied with 4 other WR as the #14 most consistent scoring fantasy WR. He's a WR2 that you can get at a late WR3 price and I would not be shocked at all if he finished with borderline #1 WR #'s.

1 person likes this

Until AZ makes a serious effort at upgrading that putrid offensive line, I will avoid everybody from this offense. Putrid O-line + playing in NFC West = Suck. I haven't fully reviewed the NFL O-lines yet for 2014 being that the draft hasn't even happened yet, but as it stands I will be avoiding Fitz, Ellington, Floyd, and Palmer.

Until AZ makes a serious effort at upgrading that putrid offensive line, I will avoid everybody from this offense. Putrid O-line + playing in NFC West = Suck. I haven't fully reviewed the NFL O-lines yet for 2014 being that the draft hasn't even happened yet, but as it stands I will be avoiding Fitz, Ellington, Floyd, and Palmer.

Veldheer is a pretty big acquisition. Carlson is also a pretty good blocking TE.

No kidding you haven't done any research yet as ARI added arguably the best FA OT in Veldheer and will be getting back 2013 top 10 overall pick JCooper at G. Some of their other young O-lineman (Massie & Watford) should hopefully improve as well. Not sure what else they could do aside from using their 2014 1st rd pick on another OT or G. Regardless, their bad offense lines from 2012 & 13 should not be a factor in drafting their skill position players for 2014. As we saw with the 2013 CHI Bears, an offensive line can change to a positive team asset in a hurry with the right FA signings and draft choices.

2 people like this

Who is he being drafted near?

Ginn in Arizona doesn't help his target #s

Cards schedule kind of tough though.

No kidding you haven't done any research yet as ARI added arguably the best FA OT in Veldheer and will be getting back 2013 top 10 overall pick JCooper at G. Some of their other young O-lineman (Massie & Watford) should hopefully improve as well. Not sure what else they could do aside from using their 2014 1st rd pick on another OT or G. Regardless, their bad offense lines from 2012 & 13 should not be a factor in drafting their skill position players for 2014. As we saw with the 2013 CHI Bears, an offensive line can change to a positive team asset in a hurry with the right FA signings and draft choices.

Ok, well, where should I start? First of all, your take on the Chicago Bears' offensive line is just wrong. They were terrible again in 2013, and I suggest you check out this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1900253-chicago-bears-biggest-misconception-of-2013-season

A more efficient passing system in which the quarterbacks got rid of the ball quicker made the offensive line look better than it was. It didn't all of a sudden get magically better overnight. PFF ranked the Bears' O-line 29th in pass blocking, so it was good play calling and good quarterback play that allowed McCown, Cutler, Jeffery and Marshall to succeed in spite of terrible line play.

I strongly disagree that offensive line shouldn't be a factor in whether or not to take a certain skill player. It shouldn't be the only factor, but it should at least be considered in my opinion. To be clear, I'm not basing my opinion to pass on Floyd just on the poor O-line, but it's a big factor along with the fact that he plays in NFC West and this offense is not a prolific NFL offense.

3 people like this

Ok, well, where should I start? First of all, your take on the Chicago Bears' offensive line is just wrong. They were terrible again in 2013, and I suggest you check out this article:

http://bleacherrepor...-of-2013-season

A more efficient passing system in which the quarterbacks got rid of the ball quicker made the offensive line look better than it was. It didn't all of a sudden get magically better overnight. PFF ranked the Bears' O-line 29th in pass blocking, so it was good play calling and good quarterback play that allowed McCown, Cutler, Jeffery and Marshall to succeed in spite of terrible line play.

I strongly disagree that offensive line shouldn't be a factor in whether or not to take a certain skill player. It shouldn't be the only factor, but it should at least be considered in my opinion. To be clear, I'm not basing my opinion to pass on Floyd just on the poor O-line, but it's a big factor along with the fact that he plays in NFC West and this offense is not a prolific NFL offense.

PFF actually and the Bears offensive line ranked 19th this past season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/2/

19 isn't overly impressive but they were certainly significantly improved from the previous season. And... I see them improving even more this year with a second year under the rookies belts.

http://bleacherrepor...-of-2013-season

PFF actually and the Bears offensive line ranked 19th this past season.

https://www.profootb...ine-rankings/2/

19 isn't overly impressive but they were certainly significantly improved from the previous season. And... I see them improving even more this year with a second year under the rookies belts.

19. Chicago Bears (30th)

PB: 29th, RB:11th , PEN: 9th

The run blocking improved by leaps and bounds, but the pass blocking was very bad. Don't want to derail the thread anymore, but as long as Trestman is running the show, that offense will move.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1900253-chicago-bears-biggest-misconception-of-2013-season

Nice post and back-up article on the CHI 2013 pass blocking. I stand corrected.

You misunderstood me though and I agree that you should definitely factor in the team O-line when evaluating skill position players. I was stating that the ARI O-line will very likely be improved and that it should not negatively impact Floyd. If anything, it should help the overall Cardinal passing game.

1 person likes this

So I am reading he has potential WR upside but his situation isn't great. He did have over 1000 yards last season...anyone seeing a breakout this year. Sure seems like Fitzgerald is slowing down, could see him busting out?