Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gains

Mike Vick 2014 Season Outlook

92 posts in this topic

Top FA qb this year. Looking to be a stop gap and start.

Still a running threat, still not likely to play a full 16 games.

Had a good, albeit short run at the tough early last year.

Worth drafting if you wait and pairing with a Ben/Dalton type?

worth it is 2 qb leagues ( which is super underrated btw)

or just a source or easy dog related and injury jokes.

I drafted him to pair with Romo this last season. It blew up in my face, and I will not do it again next year.

I hope Vick lands in Minnesota. It would be nice to have a little excitement return to the Vikings. Plus it would be fun to watch Peterson, Patterson, and Vick all on the field together.

It completely depends on where Vick goes, but I don't think he's worth drafting unless it's as a backup. There's just no guarantee that he stays healthy or a starter even if he does land somewhere.

Top FA qb this year. Looking to be a stop gap and start.

Still a running threat, still not likely to play a full 16 games.

Had a good, albeit short run at the tough early last year.

Worth drafting if you wait and pairing with a Ben/Dalton type?

worth it is 2 qb leagues ( which is super underrated btw)

or just a source or easy dog related and injury jokes.

How do you mean this? Are you in agreement with me when I say 2QB leagues are AWESOME!? ;)

I had the Eagles QB last season, both Vick and Foles, won the championship b/c I also had Brees, definitely had the best QB tandem in my league last season.

Owning Vick you better be ready for the headaches. He's good enough to start on most 2QB rosters any given week for any team probably, but last year was tough on some owners b/c Foles turned out to not be just a flash in the pan afterall. That being said, Vick should be the starter for wherever he goes but as a stop-gap QB who will play as long as a team finds the replacement you MUST keep this in mind if he ends up on your team. Vick is prone to turnovers and injuries, but also just the same could be an excellent QB. I bet his value will be far lower than normal next season, so he will be a good guy to target in 2QB leagues by my estimations, but yea I'll be making sure to protect myself somehow some way with a Hoyer or something.

Vick should be finding a team any day now hey? What are some of the best potential landing spots for ol' Mike Vick?

Vick should be finding a team any day now hey? What are some of the best potential landing spots for ol' Mike Vick?

There has been some speculation that he could land with the Jets. He could pair up there with his former OC from the Eagles, Marty Mornhinweg. Depending on what kind of contract he wants, the Jets could also sign some FA WR's to go along with him, such as Maclin and Sanders.

Things working against that move:

Vick likely wants to start, and the Jets would probably want a QB competition with Geno Smith.

The Jets will end up with an influx of young talent after this years draft (10-12 draft picks once compensatory picks are awarded) and may not want to go with an older QB.

GM John Idzik reputation is he likes to build for the long term, Mike Vick would not be a long term solution at QB.

The Jets have plenty of other needs (WR, TE, DB) and may not want to spend whatever money it takes to land Vick.

There has been some speculation that he could land with the Jets. He could pair up there with his former OC from the Eagles, Marty Mornhinweg. Depending on what kind of contract he wants, the Jets could also sign some FA WR's to go along with him, such as Maclin and Sanders.

Things working against that move:

Vick likely wants to start, and the Jets would probably want a QB competition with Geno Smith.

The Jets will end up with an influx of young talent after this years draft (10-12 draft picks once compensatory picks are awarded) and may not want to go with an older QB.

GM John Idzik reputation is he likes to build for the long term, Mike Vick would not be a long term solution at QB.

The Jets have plenty of other needs (WR, TE, DB) and may not want to spend whatever money it takes to land Vick.

Don't see him going to the Jets. It would just add fuel to another QB controversy. I think the Jets want to avoid that.

In addition, what offensive weapons do the Jets have? As a QB the Jets would be my last choice. Who ever goes there is not likely yo succeed.

The chiefs should get him with JC on the backfield. Pick your poison!

There is a less than 0% chance the Chiefs sign him.

The chiefs should get him with JC on the backfield. Pick your poison!

There is a less than 0% chance the Chiefs sign him.

Alex Smith is a bum.

not sure why fools are shooting out random teams.

Raiders- stop back option unless they trade up or confident is carr or that northern illionois qb

Vikes- even worse draft spot then raiders, might be in win-now mode with AP at his age so vicks short termness might not be so bad.

Bills- Ej manuel is just as injury prone but slower, a rookie, less accurate and doesn't have vicks strong arm.

Going to assume the Browns (who know what those baffons will do) or the Jags (Gus "Carolle Jr." Bradley is from an unorthadox line,...although Caldwell doesn't seem like he would go for it) do not trade back and open themselves to the stop-gap market.

I consider the jets highly unlikely, but not necessary stupid for tossing the name out.

Cheifs is fully retarded.

I maintain Jets of all the "on the radar" team are at the tail end...it doesn't seem like a Idzik move....not like vick/marty was that great combo. vick/kelly seemed better in 1 offeseaon and few games.

Never though about the bucs tbh since I thought Glennon outperformed EJ/Geno. ........would be interesting though.

Don't see him going to the bucs at all, but I agree it would be fun to see and a fit to see him in Minnesota.

As said here, bottom line is Vick can't stay healthy at this stage of his career so he should NOT be viewed as a QB1 in any circumstance.

last season in the draft someone dared me to pick Vick as im a Eagles fan, I did just that with my last round pick to be cocky, he was my back up but the first 4 weeks i started him and was rewarded well for it, then he went south and then got hurt, i guess i wouldnt pass on him but it wouldnt be till my last round and his purpose would be as my back up unless he goes off! then I start him :) This was in a 8 team 1 qb leauge and planty of QBs on the wire so not much risk as my back up

OAKLAND 2 YEARS 8 MILL - 5 MILL GUARANTEED - HE WILL BE GAP FOR EITHER MANZIEL, BRIDGEWATER, BORTLES OR GIARFFOLO FROM N. ILLINOIS

OAKLAND 2 YEARS 8 MILL - 5 MILL GUARANTEED - HE WILL BE GAP FOR EITHER MANZIEL, BRIDGEWATER, BORTLES OR GIARFFOLO FROM N. ILLINOIS

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!

3 people like this

So I took Mike Vick's stats as a starter in Mornhinweg's system (2010, 2011, 2012) and averaged them out to see what he'd have in a full season where he theoretically stuck to those averages.

16 game projection:

Total Yards :4699

TDs:28

Turnovers:21

Breakdown:

Passing Yards: 3969

Rush Yards: 730

Pass TD: 23

Rush TD: 5

He might be worth a look as your backup QB in 4 pt pass TD leagues, if you actually draft a backup QB.

Disclaimers:

1. His stats are skewed higher by 2010 which was the best in his career.

2. The Jets skill position players in 2014 probably won't be as good as the Eagles were in 10, 11 and 12.

3. The league may have caught up to Vick (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20161215/tenpoint-stance-is-vick-declining-or-have-nfl-defenses-solved-him)

4. Mike Vick never starts a full season.

5. It's the Jets.

Geno Smith looks ok in his first preseason game, but Vick has moved the offense much better (granted it is against the colts #2s)

So let me get this straight. It's a bad thing for Vick to completely fine being a QB2? I thought that's what he was brought in NY to do?

The Jets coaches have to be thinking about it. It's not just the turnovers, it's that the turnovers were awful. That said, I'm not sure how much better Vick would make this offense given the Jets WRs

Starting to hear chatter on talk radio to replace Geno with Vick. Tempted to add him to bench. But I think Geno has to have another brutal game or two before that happens. Also. It sure how Vick would do with this cast.

Starting to hear chatter on talk radio to replace Geno with Vick. Tempted to add him to bench. But I think Geno has to have another brutal game or two before that happens. Also. It sure how Vick would do with this cast.

The one thing that could help if the passing game stalls is that Vick is a much more dynamic runner than Geno. Geno had a decent 40, but he doen't really break long plays on his runs. Vick can really tear a team up with his legs.

I do think Vick could give the Jets a spark, and move the offense better than Geno is at times. That said, the best thing for the Jets to do for the long term future is stick with Geno and try to get the stupid turnovers corrected. Geno is very aggressive with the ball, he just needs to think about the game situation more (something he did well in the preseason, but forgot last week).

Smith has two games over 60% pass completion this year, he had only 6 all year last year. He really does appear to be getting better.

If Geno continues to turn the ball over, it'll be time to free Vick. I think Vick would give them a better shot at winning at the moment, but the Jets are obviously more interested in developing Geno than playing the better QB.