Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djmnova

The Jeter "Legacy"

The Jeter “Legacy”

By David Martorano

February 19th 2014

The word legacy is surrounded by quotations to imply that I don’t believe in him having one. The reason is simple- Great players leave behind great legacies, and Derek Jeter is not a great player.

What is Derek Jeter. He is the model of consistency, clutch, a little tough and somewhat durable. That’s very good but I don’t think he is great. I think he is a borderline Hall of Famer that will likely get in because all of the media really likes him.

What kind of person is he? I’m not his friend, colleague or teammate. I don’t know. All I see is a politician. He is boring and never answers questions honestly. He has little emotions. He is robotic. And he sleeps with women. He is a notorious womanizer who gives girls baseballs with his signature on them as they are leaving out the door.

People like to talk about him being on the Yankees Mount Rushmore. That is funny because there are at least 19 Yankees that were greater than Jeter. The list is long and it includes: Dave Winfield, Roger Maris, Phil Rizzuto, Ron Guidry, Tony Lazzeri, Reggie Jackson, Lefty Gomez, Thurman Munson, Don Mattingly, Bill Dickey, Red Ruffing, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Mariano Rivera, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth (in no particular order). I am not going to expound on these players and explain why they are greater Yankees. The internet is full of information on each player and you are free to research and compare.

Why didn’t Jeter go about his business honorably? Why didn’t he play out the season and then hang it up and do a few press conferences and begin his life after playing baseball? My best guess is that Jeter loves money and loves attention. In other words, he is just like everyone else.

Well Derek, you asked for the spotlight and you have it. It will be very interesting to see how he handles it in 2014.

What a joke of a write-up. I don't even like Jeter, but come on. Borderline HOF'er? Didn't go about his business honorably? This guy is in absolute hate mode.

A guy who will end his career top 10 in hits is a borderline HOFer?