Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buckeyestilidie

Carlos Hyde 2014 Season Outlook

236 posts in this topic

Obviously it's a bit early to be projecting what he can do, but saying he gets drafted by a team like Cleveland what do you see him doing? I watched him for two years at Ohio State and have to say he has the slashing speed and power to make a successful NFL career. Many are comparing him to a faster Eddie Lacy. I think for a fearless forecast if he went to Cleveland would be 300 total touches, 1200 total yards, and about, 7-10 total touchdowns.

I really wasn't impressed with him until this year. And I'm not super high on tearing up Big Ten defenses. My only question is if he can be a contributor in the passing game.

He seems like a great fit for the ZBS. But he comes off more like an Alfred Morris type, which is solid, but I'd like a more well-rounded guy in Cleveland.

Or, pair him up with multi-tool guy. If Charles Sims falls, I'd be all over him.

I really wasn't impressed with him until this year. And I'm not super high on tearing up Big Ten defenses. My only question is if he can be a contributor in the passing game.

He seems like a great fit for the ZBS. But he comes off more like an Alfred Morris type, which is solid, but I'd like a more well-rounded guy in Cleveland.

Or, pair him up with multi-tool guy. If Charles Sims falls, I'd be all over him.

I gotta disagree. Cleveland needs a viscous power back that can get them yards and keep defenses honest. Hyde can catch out of the backfield, but he isn't a Darren Sproles. His type of running is very violent and I could just see him tearing up the field. Maybe it's the Ohio State/Cleveland nut in me that's screaming out stud, but everywhere I've read has labeled him and Watkins the odds on favorite right now to be top FF rookie choices.

I can't say that I watched him much in college, but any concerns with injury/durability? Not a crazy amount of carries in college which is good, but would he hold up in the NFL?

1 person likes this

I can't say that I watched him much in college, but any concerns with injury/durability? Not a crazy amount of carries in college which is good, but would he hold up in the NFL?

None at all. He missed the first three games and after was force fed the ball usually 15-30 times a game. Never checked out or had any injury concerns what so ever.

Who ever has been saying he's a faster version of Eddie Lacy is just talking crap. Put video of Hyde and Lacy side by side and you'll know Eddie is quicker and has better lateral movement. He really looks like a slightly more athletic Lagarrette Blount, which might not be so bad. His landing spot will determine his rookie season production. He needs to go to a team that will be run oriented.

Who ever has been saying he's a faster version of Eddie Lacy is just talking crap. Put video of Hyde and Lacy side by side and you'll know Eddie is quicker and has better lateral movement. He really looks like a slightly more athletic Lagarrette Blount, which might not be so bad. His landing spot will determine his rookie season production. He needs to go to a team that will be run oriented.

I think Hyde is way more athletic than Blount ever thought about being. I also think he has better lateral movement than Lacy. I seen little to none jukeness or get off me moves that Hyde has displayed. Granted Hyde won't be put on a top three offense, but I think the skill will be flashed.

Thoughts on Carlos Hyde in 2014? He was widely regarded as the top rb in the class before the draft. Gore is entering this season at age 31. Lattimore is a long shot to fully recover. Hunter is solid but not great. James isn't a true rb and likely to be cut. Then there is Hyde. Does he instantly become the number 2 rb?can he force his way into a timeshare in the San Fran power run game?

At 31 Gore figures to be near the end, but $6 million at a time when the 9rs just acquired Stevie's inflated contract says Gore remains lead back. How much work Hyde gets likely depends on his development, but Harbaugh routinely reduces Gore's workload late season so someone or some two will be getting more work. Until we see if Lattimore has returned to form from his injuries there's no way to call this one. My hunch is Gore, Hunter, Hyde, but I'm basing that more on the rumor mill that Lattimore doesn't have his former cutting ability than anything concrete.

Hyde has very little value this year unless Gore gets hurt. He will be the starter next season.

1 person likes this

So San Fran has no less than five talented RBs on their roster now. This pick tells me that Lattimore's health may not be progressing as much as some sources have reported.

1 person likes this

I don't really view him as a gamebreaker, just highly reliable. His speed is pretty good for his size, which is what impressed me. I wouldn't call him a plodder.

The 49ers don't really need a gamebreaker, they need a volume runner. That fits with what Hyde is, and can easily be.

1 person likes this

The guy is 240, has great vision and cuts , good athleticism and speed. Me like. I still think its Gore year though.

I think he is one of the best handcuffs in fantasy this year because Gore has been sturdy but the older you get the more that changes and the Niners love to run. You can argue he fits the scheme better because he ran primarily out of the Pistol formation and is comfortable with it while Gore is not. His pass blocking is going to be critical to how many snaps he gets as a backup though.

Now that the 49ers backfield isn't so deep. Would anyone consider Hyde a top 3 pick in rookie/FA drafts?

Even if gore stays healthy all year Hyde will still be the main man next year when gore leaves, so it's a pretty safe pick even if hyde doesn't have a significant impact this season.

1 person likes this

I have a feeling his ADP is going to get a bit crazy with all the recent injuries. That was the worst possible thing to happen, IMO

With Hunter and James out, Gore will likely be held out during the preseason so he too doesn't get injured. I imagine Hyde will get most of the reps, and if he performs well, his ADP will shoot up.

Gore is running out of steam, and with Hunter out for the year, Hyde is the obvious handcuff to own and he could have an impact down the stretch if/when Gore starts to wear down

1 person likes this

I liked Hyde in College. He has good speed for his size and is a north/south runner that likes to fall forward for that extra yard.

With the injuries that happened to Hunter and Lattimore, Hyde could be the change of pace back or the RB trying to out run Gore. I could see a situation where Hyde gets a hot hand and the 49ers stick with him over Gore.

Gore is running out of steam, and with Hunter out for the year, Hyde is the obvious handcuff to own and he could have an impact down the stretch if/when Gore starts to wear down

I guess that depends how far down the stretch you see Gore slowing down. Week 5? Week 8? If Lattimore returns from the PUP list before Gores hypothetical wear down I see Lattimore jumping in front of Carlos Hyde.

They legit love Frank Gore there. Roman has spoken about wanting Gore to coach on his staff someday after he retires. It's the reason he's still making an obscene $6.45M annual salary despite his age and the RB market in the toilet. He's arguably the best pass blocking back in the league, which is probably why he keeps making Pro Bowls and NFL Top 100 lists even though his fantasy numbers don't measure up.

I think unless he gets injured and Hyde goes bonkers in his absence, Gore will have to fall off a cliff for them to bench him. I think they'll be a bit more loyal to Gore than Alex Smith. On one hand you wanna save Gore for the playoffs, on the other hand you can run him into the ground because it's his last year. I can see Hyde gradually earning more carries as the season goes on, it could even be an even split by week 17, I just don't see him taking over the backfield this year.

They legit love Frank Gore there. Roman has spoken about wanting Gore to coach on his staff someday after he retires. It's the reason he's still making an obscene $6.45M annual salary despite his age and the RB market in the toilet. He's arguably the best pass blocking back in the league, which is probably why he keeps making Pro Bowls and NFL Top 100 lists even though his fantasy numbers don't measure up.

I think unless he gets injured and Hyde goes bonkers in his absence, Gore will have to fall off a cliff for them to bench him. I think they'll be a bit more loyal to Gore than Alex Smith. On one hand you wanna save Gore for the playoffs, on the other hand you can run him into the ground because it's his last year. I can see Hyde gradually earning more carries as the season goes on, it could even be an even split by week 17, I just don't see him taking over the backfield this year.

He did finish as the 18th overall RB in ppr last season, so he was still an rb2 in 10 and 12 man leagues. Not bad considering most people probably drafted him last year as an rb3 or rb4.

As for Hyde, I like his TD potential this season. I would guess he takes over for Dixon as the goal line/short yardage back this season.

While I can certainly see that, Dixon's vulturing was slightly overblown. 2 TDs each season for 8 total, he went over 3 months without a TD last year. I think a lot of times he came in to vulture was when Gore was playing nicked up or the game was a mismatch (34-3 vs HOU, 35-11 vs STL).

Still though, Hyde is a big back and certainly has more ability than Dixon, and Gore is a year older, so a vulture role wouldn't be surprising.

Love his upside but why do I constantly go back to Beanie Wells when evaluating Hyde? It's def the Ohio State connection but I can't remember the last productive O-State back to come into the NFL. I guess it would be Eddie George. Rambling....

http://walterfootbal...rt2014chyde.php