Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Palmetto08

Alexander Guerrero - 2B LAD

Just signed with Dodgers. Should be interesting to see how he does.

The Dodgers and Cuban IF Alexander Guerrero reached a seven year $32 million dollar agreement, per multiple reports. Guerrero, at 26-years-old, hasn't played consistently since 2011.

Over the next couple of weeks, Guerrero will be see game action at the AA or AAA level. From there, Guerrero should be called up to Los Angles and play second base, per Dionisio Soldevilla of ESPNDeportes.com and Dominican reporter Neftali Ruiz.

Guerrero hit over .300 in all three seasons while playing in Cuba. In addition, he accumulated 60 home runs in 886 at bats.

Could this guy play this year or does it look like 2014 is more likely?

He's 26. If they paid him that kind of money, he will be replacing Ellis sooner rather than later.

He's 26. If they paid him that kind of money, he will be replacing Ellis sooner rather than later.

But when was the last time he played? i know the process of coming over from Cuba generally means you can't play ball for awhile. Maybe a september call-up at best?

Sorry guys. I jumped the gun on this guy. Battle is correct - he hasn't signed or been cleared.

Here's some more info:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1714474-complete-scouting-profile-on-cuban-middle-infielder-alexander-guerrero

Sanchez also noted that Guerrero is yet to be unblocked by the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), which means he’s not free to sign with a Major League team. However, in anticipation of his clearance by the OFAC, Guerrero has scheduled a showcase Wednesday in the Dominican Republic and is expected to play in a game the following day.

Background

Guerrero began his professional career in 2005, joining Las Tunas of Cuba’s Serie Nacional as an 18-year-old. However, he didn’t emerge as one of the league’s premier players until the 2009 season when he batted .338/.408/641 with 24 doubles, 19 home runs and 30/32 K/BB in 314 plate appearances.

He continued to put up monster numbers over the next two years and made the league’s All-Star team on both occasions. But his eight-year career with Las Tunas came to an unexpected end following the 2012 season, as Guerrero opted to sit out last year—openly stating that he lacked the motivation to play—after not being chosen for Cuba’s World Baseball Classic team. After defecting from Cuba in January, Guerrero has spent the last six months training in the Dominican Republic.

Scouting Report

Offense: Physically strong, right-handed hitter at 5’10”, 205 pounds; employs a crouched stance with a wide base and starts with hands at eye level; toe-tap load allows him to utilize strong lower half; quiet stride; hits off a firm front side; above-average-to-plus bat speed thanks to strong wrists and forearms; easy, raw pop, especially to the pull side; gets the barrel to the ball and generates impressive extension after contact; tendency to wrap his bat and dip on the backside at times; has quick feet and moves well but won’t be a base stealer.

But when was the last time he played? i know the process of coming over from Cuba generally means you can't play ball for awhile. Maybe a september call-up at best?

Yeah, that's what concerns me a little as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him up by late August if he mashes down in the minors as 2B (along with 3B) is the Dodgers biggest whole in the lineup.

I think I'm more interested in his 2014-on outlook than his 2013 outlook.

I'm interested to see how he pans out. I honestly thought he was easily worth the gamble in my opinion considering the age (right in his prime) and pop he showed in Cuba. I don't think he spends anytime in the minors if he plays winter ball and spring training at a semi-decent level and hopefully, acclimate himself to MLB as the season progresses.

Sorry guys. I jumped the gun on this guy. Battle is correct - he hasn't signed or been cleared.

Here's some more info:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1714474-complete-scouting-profile-on-cuban-middle-infielder-alexander-guerrero

Sanchez also noted that Guerrero is yet to be unblocked by the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), which means he’s not free to sign with a Major League team. However, in anticipation of his clearance by the OFAC, Guerrero has scheduled a showcase Wednesday in the Dominican Republic and is expected to play in a game the following day.

Background

Guerrero began his professional career in 2005, joining Las Tunas of Cuba’s Serie Nacional as an 18-year-old. However, he didn’t emerge as one of the league’s premier players until the 2009 season when he batted .338/.408/641 with 24 doubles, 19 home runs and 30/32 K/BB in 314 plate appearances.

He continued to put up monster numbers over the next two years and made the league’s All-Star team on both occasions. But his eight-year career with Las Tunas came to an unexpected end following the 2012 season, as Guerrero opted to sit out last year—openly stating that he lacked the motivation to play—after not being chosen for Cuba’s World Baseball Classic team. After defecting from Cuba in January, Guerrero has spent the last six months training in the Dominican Republic.

Scouting Report

Offense: Physically strong, right-handed hitter at 5’10”, 205 pounds; employs a crouched stance with a wide base and starts with hands at eye level; toe-tap load allows him to utilize strong lower half; quiet stride; hits off a firm front side; above-average-to-plus bat speed thanks to strong wrists and forearms; easy, raw pop, especially to the pull side; gets the barrel to the ball and generates impressive extension after contact; tendency to wrap his bat and dip on the backside at times; has quick feet and moves well but won’t be a base stealer.

From a hitting prospective that scouting report sounds a lot like Brandon Phillips.

No real challenge for him at 2B either. Right to the big leagues as long as he handles spring training, even moderately OK.

With spring training arriving I feel the need to revive this thread. I was higher on him going into the offseason confiedent he would play some winter ball ad get his legs underneath him. However, with the injuries he suffered throughout the winter and the most recent comments showing concern or his ability to field 2b there look to be some concern. My question is how much should we be concerned and if the concern may help keep his draft position low enough heading into drafts for him to be worth the gamble.

His draft price is dirt right now, but he's a total question mark. I don't think you can really depend on this guy but worth a speculative pick. At this point I'd be surprised if he is in the MLB before June. Puig wasn't there until June and he was clearly ready. Dodgers have Mark Ellis, Chone Figgins, Justin Sellers, Brendan Harris, and they just signed Justin Turner as well. Also have Dee Gordon stirring around, so they have a lot of options if they think he needs seasoning. All it takes is one of those guys to have a great Spring Training for them to have some security.

His draft price is dirt right now, but he's a total question mark. I don't think you can really depend on this guy but worth a speculative pick. At this point I'd be surprised if he is in the MLB before June. Puig wasn't there until June and he was clearly ready. Dodgers have Mark Ellis, Chone Figgins, Justin Sellers, Brendan Harris, and they just signed Justin Turner as well. Also have Dee Gordon stirring around, so they have a lot of options if they think he needs seasoning. All it takes is one of those guys to have a great Spring Training for them to have some security.

They do not have Mark Ellis, Sellers is Terrible.

Dee Gordon and Figgins really isn't security, they have also been putrid... Harris wishes it was 2009

Really, the Justin Turner signing is the first guy who may be passable who can actually hold down a job until Guerrero is ready.

Dee Gordon and Figgins really isn't security, they have also been putrid... Harris wishes it was 2009

Really, the Justin Turner signing is the first guy who may be passable who can actually hold down a job until Guerrero is ready.

Mark Ellis went to the Cardinals, completely slipped my mind...I agree with the others, I'm just thinking if one or two of those guys surprise at Spring Training they have an excuse to send down Guerrero.

Mark Ellis went to the Cardinals, completely slipped my mind...I agree with the others, I'm just thinking if one or two of those guys surprise at Spring Training they have an excuse to send down Guerrero.

What if Guerrero surprises?

Here's some more info:

Background

Scouting Report

From a hitting prospective that scouting report sounds a lot like Brandon Phillips.

Saw a few at bats last night including the grannie. Way quieter at the plate than Phillips.

Been watching a few games so far this spring. Does this guy make the opening day roster? If so I feel he could be a sleeper and provide power from a very shallow position.

If he wins the job out of ST, what are some projections for him? Don't know a lot about him. How does he profile?

Yahoo has this kid -- who MIGHT not even make the team -- projected for what I feel is a pretty generous 21 HR and 71 RBI with a .817 OPS. In other words Jayson Werth-y in those categories (by their projections).

Gotta be a mistake right? Did others project him similarly?

Yahoo has this kid -- who MIGHT not even make the team -- projected for what I feel is a pretty generous 21 HR and 71 RBI with a .817 OPS. In other words Jayson Werth-y in those categories (by their projections).

Gotta be a mistake right? Did others project him similarly?

ESPN has him at 17 HRs with 46 RBIs...in 339 at bats. I know Rotowire had him projected to hit 27 HRs over a full season of at-bats at one time, I would imagine that has changed recently due to the lack of at-bats.