Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milk Me

Jake Peavy 2014 Outlook

79 posts in this topic

Noticed (or looked and found nothing...) that there isn't an updated thread for this guy yet.

In Boston, he'll have much better run support than he did to begin the year with Chicago last season. He also should have a nice IF behind him. While the days of a 9K per IP ratio are likely over, is it unreasonable to think he could pitch 180IP+ with an ERA around or below the 3.40-3.50 range, or would that be asking a lot from him?

I know he was sub-par last year, but given the circumstances.... I do admit I forget what type of injury issues he had dealt with, but know that he did have some nice outings while still in Chicago even though that team was a mess from day #1. I forgot how he fared once he got to BOS.... other than that little offseason story of his boat or world series float or..... whatever. (That's all I can think of when I hear his name right now, sadly.)

Anyway, he was limited in spring training but is evidently ready to start the season (I think I just read). His spring stats in 2 (or 3?) starts, despite being limited, were not bad by any means. Not that I put too much stock in it but when coming back from injury it's a little important and he had an issue with his finger early on if I remember. Assuming he cracks the opening rotation, anyone have any numbers they wanna throw down for fun?

He is a total enigma to me, to be honest, so it would be interesting to hear some insight on people who follow the Red Sox or know anything about his current status beyond the basics I shared. Numbers aside, I was just kidding (kind of- feel free if you want I guess).

He's so enigmatic with his heatlh that it's tough to predict but I think his ceiling is around what you stated as a mid 3 era pitcher, I think that era range is more likely to be hit then 180ip. The guy is just always hurt, and his biggest problem is he's such a beast he tries to play through when he should be resting. That inevitably compounds whatever he's dealing with and causes him to miss more time. I picked him up as a speculative add with Minor on the DL, but I'm hoping he gets off to a decent enough start that I can deal him before any injuries. He'll definitely have added run support, and more win opportunity with the socks of red as opposed to his luck with the white.

I project somewhere in the ballpark of 165ip with a 3.8-3.9 era. He'll have solid k/bb ratios but may be more homer prone.

1 person likes this

masterful 1st inning striking out the side. triple by segura was fluke chopper down the line. but his pitch sequencing was perfect. good to see him looking sharp.

masterful 1st inning striking out the side. triple by segura was fluke chopper down the line. but his pitch sequencing was perfect. good to see him looking sharp.

That's also got to be the first time I've ever seen someone get a triple down the left field line in fenway.

jinx

jinx

i wasn't predicting future success just analyzing the 1st inning. he does seem to be falling apart control wise now sigh

very solid outing for fenway and a pretty decent offense. his whip was uncharacteristically high so i'd expect that to get better.

jinx

i wasn't predicting future success just analyzing the 1st inning. he does seem to be falling apart control wise now sigh

jus messin with ya... I've seen so many times over the years where a SP will be cruising along until a poster comments in his player thread during the start and ruins it.lol. He kept the damage to a minimum tho.. not bad. Hopefully he only improves on this start.
1 person likes this

anyone trusting him at home against texas today?

Starting him with -50% confidence. I by no means am condoning others to follow my lead as Texas has historically owned him. But I'm chasing a win vs. Robbie Ross.

I'm sitting him today. 55 and sunny with a 15 mph NW wind FWIW

Do you know the direction that the 15 mph NW is blowing ... i.e towards center ... towards home plate?

Do you know the direction that the 15 mph NW is blowing ... i.e towards center ... towards home plate?

I was going to make a wise a** comment till i saw the i.e. part :D. fenway sits on I90 left field backs to it so in theory a NW wind should be blowing in from left to right. I was hoping to find a website that details this info as i feel it is so important when trying to analyze what the wind means. Hopefully someone here willl know one.

I was going to make a wise a** comment till i saw the i.e. part :D. fenway sits on I90 left field backs to it so in theory a NW wind should be blowing in from left to right. I was hoping to find a website that details this info as i feel it is so important when trying to analyze what the wind means. Hopefully someone here willl know one.

http://dailybaseballdata.com/cgi-bin/weather.pl

I don't. Was hoping a Red Sox fan would chime in

glad I rolled the dice. dudes dominating. everything seems to be working.

Same. It was a last minute decision by me with Beltre out of the line up and glad I did. Mowing people down.

Anyone else concerned with Peavy's loss of velocity? He normally sits in the 92 mph range but seems to be in the 89 mph range these days. The Ks are coming but not sure how effective he'll be the 2nd time through.