Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ954

2014 Impact MiLB Callups

How does one determine someone's floor? Plate discipline?

ya - too many strikeouts is a huge red flag for me. Look at Giancarlo, everyone expected him to approach mvp conservations, now he is having trouble. I think t just takes undisciplined hitters longer to develop.... Chris davis, Nelson Cruz. Anyway, Springer is risky because we have no idea whether he is going to be able to adjust to mlb pitching.

We are talking about Rookies. They all have extremely low floors. We don't know how they will immediately translate at the MLB level.

Springer has more Speed. So he has the higher SB Floor and Ceiling. He also has the higher HR Ceiling/Floor. Though by not as much.

Springer downside is all about Batting average because of his K-rate. But He has shown the ability to draw walks. If he can still get on base with a low Batting average. He puts himself in position for scoring runs and stealing bases.

I'll be taking Springer over Tavarez in any OBP based leagues w/o a second thought.

Run Production? Well one hits for the Astros...the other the Cardinals. Not hard to figure who is going to have more RBI/Run potential. Assuming they have similar OPS.

I have to disagree. Taveras doesn't have near the fantasy upside that Springer has. He could very well be the better real life player (TBD), but Springer's skill set is very unique.

Funny, I actually think Springer could be the better real life player due to defense and baserunning.

Springer profiles as the good version of CBY, a 30-30 type with great d in cf and a low batting average, say 240/250. Taveras profiles as a mini Vlad type without the sbs, a 320 hitter with the potential for 25-30 homers. I guess it's a matter of preference.

Yeah I see a much better version of Chris B Young developing in George Springer.

But I think he'll hit much higher than 240 - 250, or are you just talking about next year? Even so he hit .297 in AA and .313 in AAA last year with the plate discipline seeing drastic improvement upon the jump from AA to AAA.

We are talking about Rookies. They all have extremely low floors. We don't know how they will immediately translate at the MLB level.

Springer has more Speed. So he has the higher SB Floor and Ceiling. He also has the higher HR Ceiling/Floor. Though by not as much.

Springer downside is all about Batting average because of his K-rate. But He has shown the ability to draw walks. If he can still get on base with a low Batting average. He puts himself in position for scoring runs and stealing bases.

I'll be taking Springer over Tavarez in any OBP based leagues w/o a second thought.

Run Production? Well one hits for the Astros...the other the Cardinals. Not hard to figure who is going to have more RBI/Run potential. Assuming they have similar OPS.

Why do you think Springer has more home run potential than OT?

Lol I wonder the same thing... At 20 years old Taveras hit 23 home runs and only struck-out 56 times (wow!). Springer wasn't even a professional baseball player at 20 years old. I wonder why people are saying Springer has more power potential than him. It's clearly the other way around.

Springer is old (you know what I mean). I'm sure that if Taveras stays in the minors until he's 23 (which he wont), he will easily hit over the 37 home runs Springer hit.

Lol I wonder the same thing... At 20 years old Taveras hit 23 home runs and only struck-out 56 times (wow!). Springer wasn't even a professional baseball player at 20 years old. I wonder why people are saying Springer has more power potential than him. It's clearly the other way around.

Springer is old (you know what I mean). I'm sure that if Taveras stays in the minors until he's 23 (which he wont), he will easily hit over the 37 home runs Springer hit.

If DI college players could be drafted after their freshman or sophomore years, Springer would have been a pro like Taveras, so really you can't hold that against him. I actually think it's bogus that college basketball players can be drafted after their freshman and sophomore years, but college baseball players have to wait until their junior years. Why the double standard?

I'm not saying Springer has more power potential than Taveras, but 37 HRs in 135 games is remarkable. Nothing to sneeze at and certainly not a given that Taveras will ever be able to match that total at any level. Just because Taveras is 21 doesn't mean his power is going to develop into an 80 grade. This is one of the major flaws in scouting. Scouts look at youth with rose-colored glasses and assume exponential development is on the horizon.

If DI college players could be drafted after their freshman or sophomore years, Springer would have been a pro like Taveras, so really you can't hold that against him. I actually think it's bogus that college basketball players can be drafted after their freshman and sophomore years, but college baseball players have to wait until their junior years. Why the double standard?

I'm not saying Springer has more power potential than Taveras, but 37 HRs in 135 games is remarkable. Nothing to sneeze at and certainly not a given that Taveras will ever be able to match that total at any level. Just because Taveras is 21 doesn't mean his power is going to develop into an 80 grade. This is one of the major flaws in scouting. Scouts look at youth with rose-colored glasses and assume exponential development is on the horizon.

Agreed....I've never liked the argument that due to a college player being older than some younger prospects, he's penalized even though he had very little control over that. I could see if he stalled out at a level, but he soared through the minors quite quickly, without any real hiccups.

College baseball players can be drafted after their freshman or sophomore years if they go to junior college instead of D1. That's the trade off they must decide to make. Personally, I think it'd be better if college basketball players had to wait 3 years but that's just a personal preference. The one and done thing makes a mockery of the idea of a "student" athlete.

Back to Taveras vs Springer re: power.

Playing half his age 23 season at AA, Springer hit 19 homers in 273 ABs (AB/HR of 14.36) with a 29% K-rate, 13% BB rate, and a .282 ISO.

Playing his age 20 season at AA, Oscar hit 23 homers in 477 ABs (AB/HR of 20.73) with a 10.5% K-rate, 7.9% BB rate, and a .252 ISO.

To me, any advantage Springer may have in AB/HR rate is completely offset by OT's success at that same level despite being three years younger. To me that's a significant advantage for OT. And then when you take into account that OT's K-rate is almost a third of what Springer's was the advantage moves even more in OT's direction. A 10.5% K-rate with a .252 ISO is absurd at any age and any level. It's almost unheard of for a 20 year old in AA.

The fact that OT k's at a much lower rate gives his power a better chance to manifest at the MLB level as well.

I'll concede that Springer may hit more homers sooner due to ballpark, being in the AL, and being closer to having a MLB job. But ultimately I think OT will hit more homers in the majors.

The guy that Taveras most resembles at the plate both statistically and from scouts (despite hitting from the opposite side of the plate) is Vladimir Guerrero, who bashed 38 homers at age 23 in the majors. BTW, Vlad in AA at age 21 (so still a year younger than OT) had an ISO of .252, AB/HR of 21.94, a BB rate of 10.6%, and a K% of 8.8%.

BTW, I threw a good CBY comp on Springer before. Looking a little deeper I'm going to stick with that. In fact, it may be a bit generous. We know what Springer did last year at age 23 in the minors at AA and AA.

When CBY was at AA he hit 277/377/545 with 26 homers in 466 ABs (AB/HR of 17.92) with a 23.3% K-rate, 12.7% BB rate, and a .268 ISO. He was only 21 years old.

At age 23 CBY hit 237./295/467 with 26 homers and 32 SBs. That slash line isn't all that impressive although the HR and SBs numbers are. He had a 6.9% BB rate and a 22.6% K rate. But I'll give CBY's age 23 season the edge over Springer's. Why? Because CBY played his entire age 23 season in the major leagues.

I have to disagree. Taveras doesn't have near the fantasy upside that Springer has. He could very well be the better real life player (TBD), but Springer's skill set is very unique.

Funny, I actually think Springer could be the better real life player due to defense and baserunning.

Springer profiles as the good version of CBY, a 30-30 type with great d in cf and a low batting average, say 240/250. Taveras profiles as a mini Vlad type without the sbs, a 320 hitter with the potential for 25-30 homers. I guess it's a matter of preference.

Yeah I see a much better version of Chris B Young developing in George Springer.

But I think he'll hit much higher than 240 - 250, or are you just talking about next year? Even so he hit .297 in AA and .313 in AAA last year with the plate discipline seeing drastic improvement upon the jump from AA to AAA.

.240/.250 is about what a guy with his K% rate should hit at the MLB level. However, I think he should/could ultimately be in 260/270 and maybe even a season as high as 280 in his prime only because his absurdly high minor league BABIP of .375 indicates that he either hits the ball extremely hard when he does hit it (confirmed by his ISO) or that he has serious wheels to beat out GBs (which he does). That's a nice combo to have to help offset the swing and miss aspects of his game.

Keep in mind, I'm saying all of this without knowing the work ethic of Springer, his learning capacity, etc. Stuff like that could cause him to develop even more. But based on the public info we have now the stats (and most scouts) tell us this is the type of player he is.

So now you're holding it against Springer that the Astros didn't call him up this year and CBY was in the Majors when he was 23? Springer is twice the player CBY ever was. Springer has raked at every level and matured from his time in college. Young was always just raw talent, and he never put it all together. And he never had a season remotely close to what Springer did this year.

What Taveras did in AA when he was 21 was impressive. There's no denying that. But you're acting like what Springer did this season means nothing just because he was 23, which is not old at all for the upper minors. Taveras clearly has the better hit tool, and his strikeout total supports that. We're not talking about strikeouts, though. We're talking about power. And Springer's ISO was 30 points higher than Taveras' at the same level.

And if you really want to get technical, Taveras had a below average walk rate in AA. Yeah, Springer strikes out a lot. But he also walks quite a bit, too, something Taveras has never done. So I would say that sort of offsets Taveras' strikeout rate.

Springer also destroyed the PCL, and granted it's the PCL, but still. You can't just ignore what he did there.

.315 ISO, 15.4 BB%, 24.4 K%

Taveras also played in the PCL this year and wasn't all that great. Now, we can cut him some slack because of the sample size and the circumstances. But you're looking at a pitiful 4.8 BB% and an uninspiring .156 ISO.

You say Springer will get exposed at the MLB level because he strikes out a lot. I say Taveras will get exposed because of his inability to take a walk. He's like Starlin Castro, only with more power.

I think Granderson and Mike Cameron are better comps for Springer than CBY as well.

I'm reminded of the arguments between Porsches and Lamborghinis in reading the last 10+ posts of this thread.

I think some points we can agree upon:

1. Age relative to level of play is huge. Sure, you can't do anything about the fact you're older when you leave college to play, but it's just that success at a really young age at different levels of High-A & AA often predict superstar ceilings. That's the same reason why people are salivating over Buxton, because of his insane skills, but also his success at Low-A ball at 18.

2. K-rates do matter, because they are both a limit on people's MLB .avg ceiling and a prime area that MLB-caliber pitching usually exploits until a hitter's eye improves - but on the flip side, improving K-rates (along with rising BB rates) are a great measure that the player's batting eye is "flipping the switch" (for lack of a better term). Springer's progress from 1H to 2H suggests that is happening. And, while it's a little late in his development on paper, the climate he was raised in could explain why it's taken longer (more on that later).

3. Speed & D are great skills to have, because they are what remain even when hitting slumps occur (speed skill is assuming you're decent enough to even get on 33% of the time or more, which isn't that great, but it's not Joey Gathright-esque), and what keeps you playing (good D).

4. Young players with great hit tools are special because the hit tool is the hardest to "learn" - so many 5-tool athletes never make the jump to MLB relevance because they just can't hit. That's a huge plus for Taveras, along with the aforementioned early age of MILB-level success for the level's he's played.

5. Power/speed combos are rare enough, that fantasy owners covet them. That's a huge plus for Springer.

So, when you factor all of the above, you get the following conclusions:

1. Taveras is a special prospect, and his elite hit tool and success at his age portends to elite ceiling (nothing's a given until you make the final jump). He deserves the top-3 status (likely only behind Buxton) that is often discussed.

2. Springer may become as fantasy relevant to Taveras because of the power/speed combo. When I close my eyes and think of Taveras' ceiling, I'm thinking .300+, 25-30 HR, and a ton of R/RBI in that STL lineup for years to come. When I close my eyes and think of Springer's ceiling, I'm seeing .260-.270, lots of K's, but a lot of HR/SB - 30/30 potential. Taveras' early success is something Springer never did, because Springer played college. Again, though, it's important to recognize IIRC he was raised in a more northern climate. If I'm right there, that's huge, because northern-climate raised players have a delay in their growth curve because they play far fewer games in their pre-college/MILB career (the classic example - Mike Trout, who was taken late in 1st round because people didn't see him face a lot of elite competition, and didn't realize the special skills he had that just needed a half-season of more reps - and no, I'm not comparing Springer to Trout, because Trout killed it at a much earlier age - but the reason no one saw his ceiling was the climate factor). So, you do have to take Springer's late rise in context (although it's still late in MILB terms, it might not be as late as people initially observe). In a warmer climate, maybe he does this a year earlier. Maybe he doesn't, but we'll never know. At the same time, it's so rare to succeed as Taveras did at his age for the levels he's seen, you have to recognize how special his MILB development has been, up until the injury-marred 2013.

Really, when you look at both guys, they deserve elite, top 5 prospect status. They aren't the same types of players, period. If you asked me which guy I'd want in real life, I'd say Taveras, hands-down - #3-type batters are more valuable in the end. But if you want a fantasy player, the gap is significantly narrowed, since 30/30 guys don't exactly grow on trees. In reality, though, the gap isn't as near as we like to believe - to be a top 5 prospect puts you in special company (still not a lock for success, but we're talking potential major impact FBB guys here). I would be the first to acknowledge that the high K rate is a bigger obstacle to success, because of how MLB pitchers exploit anyone who chases even a little bit.

Bottom line - I'd rank Taveras only behind Buxton overall, but I'm putting Springer somewhere around 4/5, so we're talking a VERY small gap. That's my 2 cents, anyways... for 2014, if you want to push me, I'd take Taveras, if only because I think the Astros might be inclined to play Super-2 delay games since they won't be contenders, whereas STL wants to win the WS now, so would only delay at most the 2-3 weeks it takes to get an extra year, but won't wait the 2.5 months often needed nowadays to avoid Super-2 (it's a moving target, but seems to be the new rough # with the new criteria for Super-2 from the most recent CBA).

P.S. I own neither player, so take it FWIW.

Great Post RotoRaysFan.

I'm a believer of Springer and Singleton. Furthermore I think that the Cards didn't give Kolten at bats for fun. I think they believe in his bat too.

I own all 3 (Springer, Wong, Singleton) in my dynasty league.

whats scarry: the cards got insane talent now (as will the twins in a few years now). so i try to fet those young guns.

Someone should start a thread for 2014 Impact Prospect Bats for guys such as Oscar Taveras and Springer. I play in a lot of redraft leagues so it would be useful to have a few names to keep an eye on during the season or maybe even take a gamble late in a draft and grab someone.

Bottom line - I'd rank Taveras only behind Buxton overall, but I'm putting Springer somewhere around 4/5, so we're talking a VERY small gap. That's my 2 cents, anyways... for 2014, if you want to push me, I'd take Taveras, if only because I think the Astros might be inclined to play Super-2 delay games since they won't be contenders, whereas STL wants to win the WS now, so would only delay at most the 2-3 weeks it takes to get an extra year, but won't wait the 2.5 months often needed nowadays to avoid Super-2 (it's a moving target, but seems to be the new rough # with the new criteria for Super-2 from the most recent CBA).

As far as Springer vs Taveras I have to go with Springer for sure. Now I am generally the guy who goes for the younger players. But there's one thing that will trump age for me and that's power potential. Springer has an insane power potential.

The misconception with Springer is that he is "old" for a AAA player. That isn't entirely true. Now Springer may be old in comparison to other top prospects sure. But don't let that take away from what he did last year in the minors. When I look at Springer's numbers they remind me a lot of another guy who was never anointed top prospect status because he was too "old" for his level, and that guy is Paul Goldschmidt. Now I don't think Springer will be as good of a hitter or have as much power as Goldy but he will certainly steal more bases.

Also call me a fan boy. But honestly my prospect ranking list is going.

1. Kris Bryant

2. Javier Baez

(big gap)

Field.... Probably starting with Springer. Or Jose Abreu (if we are even considering him a "prospect"?).

I'm not all that high on Buxton. Sure he's in the top 5 prospects even for me but he's nowhere near Javier Baez or Kris Bryant in my opinion. Yeah I get that he has better plate discipline but even with all those less strikeouts you still can't argue that he comes close to squaring the ball up like either of The Cubs bats. Let alone the ability to elevate and drive a baseball at an elite level. Those are the things that talk in the MLB, squaring up and driving the baseball, not elite plate discipline.

For 2014, I'm most excited about the potential of Springer. A rare skillset and if he can make the transition to the bigs, he will be special. He has the highest ceiling of anyone in the minors this year IMO.

For 2014, I'm most excited about the potential of Springer. A rare skillset and if he can make the transition to the bigs, he will be special. He has the highest ceiling of anyone in the minors this year IMO.

Given his position, I think that title goes to Baez. A SS who can hit 40 bombs is a top 5 player even without any steals. Don't get me wrong, a 30/30 OFer is super valuable, but a guy who might give you Tulo numbers with less average is tremendously rare.

All depends on the playing time each of them gets in MLB next year. I think Springer has a better shot at making the big club out of Spring Training.

Given his position, I think that title goes to Baez. A SS who can hit 40 bombs is a top 5 player even without any steals. Don't get me wrong, a 30/30 OFer is super valuable, but a guy who might give you Tulo numbers with less average is tremendously rare.

Baez ain't playing SS in the majors bud.

Springer obviously has the highest ceiling, no one can deny that. I think he easily has the greatest potential for 2014.

Also how is no one discounting Taveras on his injury history. He had CHRONIC ankle problems last year. He reinjured it/had setbacks about 3 or 4 different times. That's pretty worrisome for a 20 year old. Hope he doesn't turn into the baseball version of Steph Curry.

Anyway I'm hitched to the Springer train all the way to 30/30 .280/.350 land. Choo Choo

Springer obviously has the highest ceiling, no one can deny that. I think he easily has the greatest potential for 2014.

Also how is no one discounting Taveras on his injury history. He had CHRONIC ankle problems last year. He reinjured it/had setbacks about 3 or 4 different times. That's pretty worrisome for a 20 year old. Hope he doesn't turn into the baseball version of Steph Curry.

Anyway I'm hitched to the Springer train all the way to 30/30 .280/.350 land. Choo Choo

Injury history? I think you're vastly overstating it here. He injured it worse than we ever thought it would be, rehabbed it, and it didn't heal - thus, he missed the rest of the year. Worrisome that he couldn't overcome it? Maybe I'll give you that, but I'm not the least bit concerned about it being a chronic issue. However, if he develops other issues this year....then I may start to worry more.

As for Baez? No idea where he ends up. I'm one that believes that Bryant won't get moved to the OF, and if that happens, there will be a log jam of guys competing for that spot. If Castro comes back on the positive trajectory he'd been on, there's your SS. Baez will not play 2B, and then there's the OF. Almora (CF) and Soler (RF) have the future set up, that leaves LF? I think his arm plays too well for that spot. Then there's the issue of if Bryant doesn't play 3B. Lots of other things can be in play then (Olt, etc.)

In short, great time for the Cubs, but to really know where they're going with these positions and what Theo, etc. are thinking....there's no way we know that yet.

The chance Baez plays SS in the majors is not out of the question yet.

Yes he will likely get moved to 3B or possibly even 2B. But we have watched The Cubs march Starlin Castro out there who is a below average fielder.

Baez first year up (this year) he will have SS eligibility and who knows Baez could certainly take Castro's SS duties before 2014 is over. To possibly carry SS eligibility into 2015. Two very likely scenarios could happen next season. Castro does well and gets traded. Or Castro struggles again and Baez just takes the job from him.

I think people over value steals and undervalue batting average, i'll take the 310-25-5 over 270-25-30. I can always find sb's late in the draft or on the WW.

If you think Tavarez and Springer have the same power potential I have some oceanfront property in Reno you may be interested in.

Who gets called up first Tavares or Springer? Is profar billy hamilton and bogaerts still considered prospects? Those 3 guys will most likely have impact first because those 3 already have jobs locked up going into Spring Training