Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ954

2014 Impact MiLB Callups

Gut feelings that Springer won't hit, OT won't play much and Javier Baez will be the call up of the year.

Who gets called up first Tavares or Springer? Is profar billy hamilton and bogaerts still considered prospects? Those 3 guys will most likely have impact first because those 3 already have jobs locked up going into Spring Training

Since those 3 will start the year with a full time starting role, I don't consider them prospects.

I think the top 3 prospects for this year are clearly Springer, Taveras, and Baez. I rank them for this year as Springer, Baez, then Taveras. Springer will be up first, so with the extra AB's over the other 2 I think he puts up the best numbers. Baez plays a thin position so I rank him second. Taveras I'm just not that high on for this year. I can see a scenario where the Cardinals get off to a great start, with either Jay or Bourjos playing well in CF, and they keep him down as long as they can since they won't need him.

I think people over value steals and undervalue batting average, i'll take the 310-25-5 over 270-25-30. I can always find sb's late in the draft or on the WW.

If you think Tavarez and Springer have the same power potential I have some oceanfront property in Reno you may be interested in.

Power potential? You're crazy if you think Springer has higher power potential.

... Is profar billy hamilton and bogaerts still considered prospects? Those 3 guys will most likely have impact first because those 3 already have jobs locked up going into Spring Training

No the three of them are already on the major league roster for their teams and played enough last season not to be called "prospects" to me. I don't even know if any of them still quality as a rookie even. Hamilton maybe. Don't know the rookie rule though I admit.

... Is profar billy hamilton and bogaerts still considered prospects? Those 3 guys will most likely have impact first because those 3 already have jobs locked up going into Spring Training

No the three of them are already on the major league roster for their teams and played enough last season not to be called "prospects" to me. I don't even know if any of them still quality as a rookie even. Hamilton maybe. Don't know the rookie rule though I admit.

Neither one of them come anywhere near shedding their rookie status. They're both eligible.

Neither one of them come anywhere near shedding their rookie status. They're both eligible.

Profar not a rookie

Bogaerts rookie

Billy Hamilton rookie.

Profar not a rookie

Bogaerts rookie

Billy Hamilton rookie.

sorry, missed Profar in that conversation.

mlb rookie requirements

Determining rookie status:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or ( b )accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

I think people are falling a little to hard for Springers stat line last year. The guy had a "breakout" year at the age of 24. That does not mean hes not going to be a good mlb contributor but I do think it means his near 40/40 season I way over hyping him. I expect a .250 25/25 type of year, still pretty good but not what the hype train is looking for.

I think people are falling a little to hard for Springers stat line last year. The guy had a "breakout" year at the age of 24. That does not mean hes not going to be a good mlb contributor but I do think it means his near 40/40 season I way over hyping him. I expect a .250 25/25 type of year, still pretty good but not what the hype train is looking for.

Actually, he was 23 all of last season. And the year before when he was 22 he posted a .908 OPS with 24 HRs and 32 SBs.

Tommy La Stella

Great tout. Just looked him up. Daniel Nava with maybe a little more upside and speed? And he's a second baseman! Unfortunately, the Braves have Uggla for two more years. I'd like to see them give this guy a chance. He certainly deserves a look.

Yea...the Braves finally soured on Uggla going down the stretch. Wouldn't surprise me if they decided to cut their losses this year and go with La Stella at some point if Uggla struggles early.

If he goes 25/25 that would certainly live up to the hype this year. He's going to be drafted in the high teens rounds, that stat line would return a great profit.

I want to draft all these guys!

Tanaka

Abreu

Taijuan Walker

Billy Hamilton

Springer

Taveras

Bogearts

Javier Baez

Yea...the Braves finally soured on Uggla going down the stretch. Wouldn't surprise me if they decided to cut their losses this year and go with La Stella at some point if Uggla struggles early.

If Uggla is truly done, and he might be, and LaStella continues to rake then they'll make the move. I'm guessing Uggla has until the super two cutoff date to prove he can still hit MLB pitching.

For 2014, I'm most excited about the potential of Springer. A rare skillset and if he can make the transition to the bigs, he will be special. He has the highest ceiling of anyone in the minors this year IMO.

Given his position, I think that title goes to Baez. A SS who can hit 40 bombs is a top 5 player even without any steals. Don't get me wrong, a 30/30 OFer is super valuable, but a guy who might give you Tulo numbers with less average is tremendously rare.

Baez ain't playing SS in the majors bud.

Springer obviously has the highest ceiling, no one can deny that. I think he easily has the greatest potential for 2014.

Also how is no one discounting Taveras on his injury history. He had CHRONIC ankle problems last year. He reinjured it/had setbacks about 3 or 4 different times. That's pretty worrisome for a 20 year old. Hope he doesn't turn into the baseball version of Steph Curry.

Anyway I'm hitched to the Springer train all the way to 30/30 .280/.350 land. Choo Choo

The chance Baez plays SS in the majors is not out of the question yet.

Yes he will likely get moved to 3B or possibly even 2B. But we have watched The Cubs march Starlin Castro out there who is a below average fielder.

Baez first year up (this year) he will have SS eligibility and who knows Baez could certainly take Castro's SS duties before 2014 is over. To possibly carry SS eligibility into 2015. Two very likely scenarios could happen next season. Castro does well and gets traded. Or Castro struggles again and Baez just takes the job from him.

What does everyone think about Baez ETA for this season? Is it going to take an injury to get him up or just a lack of infield talent presently? Im excluding Rizzo as a lack of talent.

For 2014, I'm most excited about the potential of Springer. A rare skillset and if he can make the transition to the bigs, he will be special. He has the highest ceiling of anyone in the minors this year IMO.

Given his position, I think that title goes to Baez. A SS who can hit 40 bombs is a top 5 player even without any steals. Don't get me wrong, a 30/30 OFer is super valuable, but a guy who might give you Tulo numbers with less average is tremendously rare.

Baez ain't playing SS in the majors bud.

Springer obviously has the highest ceiling, no one can deny that. I think he easily has the greatest potential for 2014.

Also how is no one discounting Taveras on his injury history. He had CHRONIC ankle problems last year. He reinjured it/had setbacks about 3 or 4 different times. That's pretty worrisome for a 20 year old. Hope he doesn't turn into the baseball version of Steph Curry.

Anyway I'm hitched to the Springer train all the way to 30/30 .280/.350 land. Choo Choo

The chance Baez plays SS in the majors is not out of the question yet.

Yes he will likely get moved to 3B or possibly even 2B. But we have watched The Cubs march Starlin Castro out there who is a below average fielder.

Baez first year up (this year) he will have SS eligibility and who knows Baez could certainly take Castro's SS duties before 2014 is over. To possibly carry SS eligibility into 2015. Two very likely scenarios could happen next season. Castro does well and gets traded. Or Castro struggles again and Baez just takes the job from him.

What does everyone think about Baez ETA for this season? Is it going to take an injury to get him up or just a lack of infield talent presently? Im excluding Rizzo as a lack of talent.

I'd expect to see him come up after his Super 2 passes midseason.

What pitchers? Sounds like Bradley could be in the rotation this year.

Starting for the thread for the guys starting in dynasty's this off-season and may want to hear a groups opinion on the up and coming SP prospects who may have a impact in 2014.

MY top 15 SP prospects for next year.

Archie Bradley, RHP, Diamondbacks

Current Level: AA

Fantasy Impact: W, K, ERA, WHIP

ETA: 2013

Taijuan Walker, RHP, Mariners

Current Level: AAA

ETA: 2014

Michael Wacha, RHP, Cardinals

Fantasy Impact: W, ERA, WHIP

Kevin Gausman, RHP, Orioles

Noah Syndergaard, RHP, Mets

~~Really like this guy

Jameson Taillon, RHP, Pirates

Mark Appel, RHP, Astros

Current Level: A-

Kyle Zimmer, RHP, Royals

ETA: JUNE-JULY 2014

(Strikeout Machine)~~Really like this guy

Alex Meyer, RHP, Twins

Yordano Ventura, RHP, Royals

Fantasy Impact: W/SV, K, ERA, WHIP

(I think this guy will have control problems)

Kyle Crick, RHP, Giants

Current Level: A+

ETA: MID TO LATE 2014

Andrew Heaney, RHP, Marlins

Mike Foltynewicz, RHP, Astros

Rafael Montero, RHP, Mets

(Get no attention, But could be a VERY SP next year and will be a later pick)

Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, Red Sox

(Bonus)~~If they don't resign Nolasco

Zach Lee, RHP, Dodgers

ETA: MID-LATE 2014

Let me know what you guys think

Never mind my previous post.

Starting for the thread for the guys starting in dynasty's this off-season and may want to hear a groups opinion on the up and coming SP prospects who may have a impact in 2014.

~~Really like this guy

Mark Appel, RHP, Astros

Kyle Zimmer, RHP, Royals

Alex Meyer, RHP, Twins

Kyle Crick, RHP, Giants

Zach Lee, RHP, Dodgers

Does anyone know anything on Lucas Giolita? Is he this level? If so is he more than a year away?

Also how about a list of prospect hitters that have a good chance of starting or being up by June at the latest. Honestly I find it a lot easier to pick up pitchers along the way. I'm more interested in the hitters.

And on that list can we just list Springer/Taveras as co-equals so we don't have to go through 20 more posts about who is king of the hill? Just agree they are both top notch and maybe discuss some of the other hitters more? Those are the ones I need more help about please.

~~Really like this guy

Mark Appel, RHP, Astros

Kyle Zimmer, RHP, Royals

Alex Meyer, RHP, Twins

Kyle Crick, RHP, Giants

Zach Lee, RHP, Dodgers

Does anyone know anything on Lucas Giolita? Is he this level? If so is he more than a year away?

Also how about a list of prospect hitters that have a good chance of starting or being up by June at the latest. Honestly I find it a lot easier to pick up pitchers along the way. I'm more interested in the hitters.

And on that list can we just list Springer/Taveras as co-equals so we don't have to go through 20 more posts about who is king of the hill? Just agree they are both top notch and maybe discuss some of the other hitters more? Those are the ones I need more help about please.

As far as I know, Giolito is a few years away. Has immense potential, but is not going to be up this year. I believe this is his 1st full season removed from TJ too.

I think 2016 is a reasonable ETA for Giolito.

In my AL keeper league we have a farm draft. There are two schools of thought in drafting - one is to pick the prospect with the highest upside no matter how far away he is from the majors. The other is to look for guys who will help this year. I'm interested in the latter category - players with rookie status who are starting in the minors, but who may have been one of the last cuts or, even though not the top prospects in the organization, are projected to be among the first guys brought up in case of injury. Any thoughts in the latter category?

Thanks!

this probably isn't the right forum for this... Check the MiLB forum. However, I would say Springer and Semien

There is already a thread like this in the MILB page that has an extensive look at the situation however this section attracts more people than the other so we may get some more insight here.

I like Bradley, Taveras, Russell, Lindor, Polanco, Heaney, Chechinni, Springer, Singleton, and maybe correra to get the call up this year. Oh and bryant/baez but I think we will see one or the other and not both (due to olt being potentially succesful).