Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ954

2014 Impact MiLB Callups

I want to see Baez up! He is sitting on my wire and don't know if I can hold him for so long! I loved that Castro said he is willing to move positions for the betterment of the team

There is already a thread like this in the MILB page that has an extensive look at the situation however this section attracts more people than the other so we may get some more insight here.

I like Bradley, Taveras, Russell, Lindor, Polanco, Heaney, Chechinni, Springer, Singleton, and maybe correra to get the call up this year. Oh and bryant/baez but I think we will see one or the other and not both (due to olt being potentially succesful).

I don't think there's any way Correa gets called up this year.

There is already a thread like this in the MILB page that has an extensive look at the situation however this section attracts more people than the other so we may get some more insight here.

I like Bradley, Taveras, Russell, Lindor, Polanco, Heaney, Chechinni, Springer, Singleton, and maybe correra to get the call up this year. Oh and bryant/baez but I think we will see one or the other and not both (due to olt being potentially succesful).

I don't think there's any way Correa gets called up this year.

I know there's no way he gets called up this year. Hasn't played beyond Low-A. The Astros promote their prospects slowly and have already demonstrated with Springer that they care about when they start the clock.

I doubt he gets called up next year as well.

Is Springer up in June for sure?? I can acquire him but very curious on his eta.

I think a major impact call up would be Buxton but the team is not ready to compete but he's such a special player that there's really nothing more for him to prove being down. If anything he could be a spark that lights a fire underneath the whole organization and bring some life into the club.

The injury to Sano was a downer and we need a breath of fresh air.

^ nothing more to prove? really, the kid is 20 years old and hasn't had a single AB yet in AA. he still has plenty to learn and prove

if he dominates in AA I could see the Twins bringing him up after the A.S. break ... but no sooner and he would need to dominate

Our league has a roster spot for "N/A" players that we can stash, waiting for their call ups. Who are the SP's that you would consider stashing that have a shot of getting called up that have some good upside?

Thanks in advance guys!

I think a major impact call up would be Buxton but the team is not ready to compete but he's such a special player that there's really nothing more for him to prove being down. If anything he could be a spark that lights a fire underneath the whole organization and bring some life into the club.

The injury to Sano was a downer and we need a breath of fresh air.

I doubt he comes up this year. The Twins are usually slow with their prospects. Assuming he dominates AA, I expect him to finish the year at AAA and probably be a midseason callup next year. The Twins aren't competing anytime soon, so they have no need to rush him to the majors.

Our league has a roster spot for "N/A" players that we can stash, waiting for their call ups. Who are the SP's that you would consider stashing that have a shot of getting called up that have some good upside?

Thanks in advance guys!

Archie Bradley is the biggest. Jameson Taillon and Noah Syndergaard are also top prospects, and Gausman could be worth a shot as well.

I'm big on Gausmann and Springer this year. Also keeping an eye on Dodgers OF injuries, because I like Joc Pederson if he gets called up. All of the SPs on this page are good too.

I have a feeling Kevin Gausman is turned into the team's CL sooner than later, especially if they're struggling out of the gate...

He seems about MLB-ready and with a plethora of SP prospects still within their system, even if they lost a little luster, and depth to boot, I just view him as the prime candidate as their long-term CL...

Everyone keep in mind Dylan Bundy what, what? #2 prospect overall last season before undergoing TJ? #3? I know he was up there... which reminds me, where is HE in his recovery? Could he be a second-half factor?

If Bud Norris gets the gig I could see him being a panic attack for the fans every night. Grab a blindfold, cigs and some Xanax. The same could potentially be said about Gausman, but with his upside and the fact that if they really wanted to move him into the rotation in a year or perhaps after acquiring a CL-type reliever closer to the deadline if still in the race....

I think if he gets the job early enough, since he broke camp already, he will have the quickest impact. I still feel Springer and the 'Stros could still work on a deal potentially, which could expedite his call-up from whenever the clock starts ticking to immediately when he signs on the dotted line..

Last, but not least, Arody Vizcaino is a post-hype sleeper to me. Watch him closely, especially since he's already on the Cubs' 40 man and he is projected to be moved to the pen full-time with the idea of him potentially being "bred" to close having been discussed. With only Pedro Strop really stranding in his way once Veras is dealt, or if he falters (unless we're still counting Fujikawa as a "future CL" for that club... I like to pretend he doesn't exist as I recall how much I bitched and moaned when they chose an import over Uehara, only for the entire world to fall in love with Ue last year and for him to sit on the DL and pitch 15 innings.... but I digress). Anyway, Vizcaino has supposedly dialed it up to 99 w/ regularity as of late and since his TJ and having been recovered for nearly a year+, perhaps the move to the pen will finally help him get over the hump and fulfill SOME of the massive promise that was supposed to be there when he was just 18 or 19 and had signed w/ the Yankees...or when he was the Braves' #2 prospect (before TJ)- #2, as in #2 overall- period. That has him (likely) above a lot of the guys who are holding their team together right now, or have had success elsewhere (ie Randall Delgado even if a bit minimal). A FB/hard-curve combo could get the job done as a CL if he can dial down the curve a bit and control it... I actually like his chances of closing this season, to be honest.

Also eyeball Bryant and Baez... both could be up by July or sooner. That goes without saying a lot, but yeah. (I am a believer that if the Cubs somehow can stay afloat into June or so, Bryant might get a taste as well- just my opinion, but I am pretty sure Baez will be up after May or whenever the arby crap isn't hanging any longer this season, or when/if Olt or Valbueno suck or if Castro goes down long-term...)

Dodgers, Alexander Guerrero could be a 20 HR source at MI (SS,2B eligible) once called up. He's older and pretty strong from what I can understand, and has nice plate discipline- good bat for OBP leagues and 15-20HR pop if he gets up to receive enough AB.

I realize he played in the Japan series, but he is a minor leaguer until he is up for more than 2 games as a pinch hitting reserve w/ weird circumstances and expanded rosters.... (I still have a hard time taking those two games seriously.)

I have a feeling Kevin Gausman is turned into the team's CL sooner than later, especially if they're struggling out of the gate...

He seems about MLB-ready and with a plethora of SP prospects still within their system, even if they lost a little luster, and depth to boot, I just view him as the prime candidate as their long-term CL...

Everyone keep in mind Dylan Bundy what, what? #2 prospect overall last season before undergoing TJ? #3? I know he was up there... which reminds me, where is HE in his recovery? Could he be a second-half factor?

If Bud Norris gets the gig I could see him being a panic attack for the fans every night. Grab a blindfold, cigs and some Xanax. The same could potentially be said about Gausman, but with his upside and the fact that if they really wanted to move him into the rotation in a year or perhaps after acquiring a CL-type reliever closer to the deadline if still in the race....

I think if he gets the job early enough, since he broke camp already, he will have the quickest impact. I still feel Springer and the 'Stros could still work on a deal potentially, which could expedite his call-up from whenever the clock starts ticking to immediately when he signs on the dotted line..

Last, but not least, Arody Vizcaino is a post-hype sleeper to me. Watch him closely, especially since he's already on the Cubs' 40 man and he is projected to be moved to the pen full-time with the idea of him potentially being "bred" to close having been discussed. With only Pedro Strop really stranding in his way once Veras is dealt, or if he falters (unless we're still counting Fujikawa as a "future CL" for that club... I like to pretend he doesn't exist as I recall how much I bitched and moaned when they chose an import over Uehara, only for the entire world to fall in love with Ue last year and for him to sit on the DL and pitch 15 innings.... but I digress). Anyway, Vizcaino has supposedly dialed it up to 99 w/ regularity as of late and since his TJ and having been recovered for nearly a year+, perhaps the move to the pen will finally help him get over the hump and fulfill SOME of the massive promise that was supposed to be there when he was just 18 or 19 and had signed w/ the Yankees...or when he was the Braves' #2 prospect (before TJ)- #2, as in #2 overall- period. That has him (likely) above a lot of the guys who are holding their team together right now, or have had success elsewhere (ie Randall Delgado even if a bit minimal). A FB/hard-curve combo could get the job done as a CL if he can dial down the curve a bit and control it... I actually like his chances of closing this season, to be honest.

Also eyeball Bryant and Baez... both could be up by July or sooner. That goes without saying a lot, but yeah. (I am a believer that if the Cubs somehow can stay afloat into June or so, Bryant might get a taste as well- just my opinion, but I am pretty sure Baez will be up after May or whenever the arby crap isn't hanging any longer this season, or when/if Olt or Valbueno suck or if Castro goes down long-term...)

Dodgers, Alexander Guerrero could be a 20 HR source at MI (SS,2B eligible) once called up. He's older and pretty strong from what I can understand, and has nice plate discipline- good bat for OBP leagues and 15-20HR pop if he gets up to receive enough AB.

I realize he played in the Japan series, but he is a minor leaguer until he is up for more than 2 games as a pinch hitting reserve w/ weird circumstances and expanded rosters.... (I still have a hard time taking those two games seriously.)

Disagree on Gausman. I think you'll see Webb, O'Day, Norris, and Britton - in that order - closing before you see Gausman closing. The organization sees Gausman as a starter, and he's more valuable as a good #3-#5 pitcher than a closer. As far as I'm concerned, Gausman is already better than Norris. O's are just hoping Norris does well enough to get some value back in a trade. Doubt that happens.

well now that Springer has been called up (missed the grab on him dammit, haha), who do we think is the next impact callup? And when?

My bet is Polanco (PIT), but it seems an injury or major slump will be necessary for that...would also think Guerrero will be up within the next month or so, but apparently they're waiting on defensive progression there. Oscar taveras is another name that comes to mind, but after his injury that probably shelved his callup for at least an extra month or so IMO.

well now that Springer has been called up (missed the grab on him dammit, haha), who do we think is the next impact callup? And when?

My bet is Polanco (PIT), but it seems an injury or major slump will be necessary for that...would also think Guerrero will be up within the next month or so, but apparently they're waiting on defensive progression there. Oscar taveras is another name that comes to mind, but after his injury that probably shelved his callup for at least an extra month or so IMO.

The Pirates need Snider to be Snider. He's playing well now so I guess we are on the Super 2 Calendar with Polanco. Tavares is raking while Craig has been awful with the big club. Dee Gordon is playing well so that blocks Guerrero. I think the clearer path is Taveras.

The Pirates need Snider to be Snider. He's playing well now so I guess we are on the Super 2 Calendar with Polanco. Tavares is raking while Craig has been awful with the big club. Dee Gordon is playing well so that blocks Guerrero. I think the clearer path is Taveras.

ahh, the last news update for Taveras said he was hitting sub-.200...I see now he's corrected it.

I would think that the Cardinals' would want Taveras to prove he can stay relatively healthy after the injuries last season and in the spring. It would not surprise me in the least if Piscotty got called up before him, especially considering that he would be more likely to get called up if the path to playing time was a little more murky. And they aren't going to call up Taveras just because Craig is having a rough start. Craig is going to have to struggle for quite sometime before they push him aside for Taveras.

I think you are crazy. To me, Tavares has the hardest path of those 3. Allen Craig, for all his struggles, has been a consistent producer for a couple years now. He simply isn't getting replaced outside of injury or continued terrible performance for another 1-2 months. Dee Gordon has definitely looked good, but has faltered after looking good in the past (not even mentioning the money Guerrero makes) and Snider has never been a consistent threat, in spite of a nice start.

Just playing the odds, I expect injury to play a role in getting one of them to the majors.

I think you are crazy. To me, Tavares has the hardest path of those 3. Allen Craig, for all his struggles, has been a consistent producer for a couple years now. He simply isn't getting replaced outside of injury or continued terrible performance for another 1-2 months. Dee Gordon has definitely looked good, but has faltered after looking good in the past (not even mentioning the money Guerrero makes) and Snider has never been a consistent threat, in spite of a nice start.

Just playing the odds, I expect injury to play a role in getting one of them to the majors.

I actually agree with you on your points. It's just that Snider is doing the job right now so there is no hurry to bring Polanco up now. I'm thinking June for him. With the durablity issues that Craig has and with his bad start to the season I was just saying I thought that path was clearer.

I actually agree with you on your points. It's just that Snider is doing the job right now so there is no hurry to bring Polanco up now. I'm thinking June for him. With the durablity issues that Craig has and with his bad start to the season I was just saying I thought that path was clearer.

For me, I think Tavares opportunity almost has to come through injury OR (less likely) Matt Adams regressing a little against righties and continuing to struggle mightily against lefties. I don't see Craig struggling as a means for Tavares to come up, because I just don't see the Cardinals doing that to an established vet who is a consummate team player. Just not the way that team operates in my experience.

For Guerrero, there is no financial wall for June, so it all comes down to injury (Ramirez, Gordon and maybe Uribe) or ineffectiveness (Gordon). He is (imo) the most likely to succeed from a fantasy perspective if he gets a job. He can flat out hit, is a little older and more experienced, plays a position where offensive upside is far more scarce and would be playing on the most offensively potent roster.

Polanco is blocked by Travis Snider. A guy who has more than 400 GP at the MLB level with a career OPS of .703. He has a few early homers, but is only hitting a modest .261. Snider cannot afford to regress AT ALL to even think about holding off Polanco beyond the Super-2 deadline.

Something I never thought I'd hear... Travis Snider and Dee Gordon blocking someone from the major leagues.