Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

th3jok3r

Charlie Morton 2014 Outlook

65 posts in this topic

I searched and didn't find a Charlie Morton topic yet.

Has a really nice match-up tonight vs the Cubbies at PNC. I think he makes for a nice streamer option. Currently only owned in 1.4% of ESPN leagues. He is also set to face the Cubs again next TUE at Wrigley. The guy is a ground ball machine! He doesn't have a real strong K/9 rate, but with all the groundballs it helps keep the damage down. He did finish with a 3.26 ERA over 116IP last year. (2.8 BB/9 - 6.6 K/9) after making his way back from Tommy John in 2012.

Morton induced five ground balls in three scoreless innings against Detroit on Tuesday, unveiling a new offspeed pitch in addition to a biting, sinking fastball, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

Spin: The righthander threw a hybrid split-change against a left-handed batter, trying to limit the damage lefties do against him. Morton compiled an excellent 62.9 percent ground-ball rate in 116 IP last season, but allowed lefties to hit .312 with an .844 OPS. Most likely, Morton will continue to be a better fantasy option against right-handed lineups.

88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif Wed, Mar 5

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) — Pirates broadcaster Bob Walk

This week, he talked with the guys about Charlie Morton’s evolution. Of Morton, Walk detailed one change has fueled the rise in Morton’s stock.

“He’s doing better at being able to neutralize left-handed hitters by changing speeds a little better,” Walk said. “He has learned how to battle those left-handers better.”

1 person likes this

Ground Chuck is really toeing the rubber tonight.

If he ever figures out lefties, watch out. No doubt PNC helps too. Regardless, pretty good pitcher with the potential to get even better.

1 person likes this

Getting pulled. Took a line drive to his glove hand and injured his thumb. Got the QS but he is out

Thinking about adding him for my injured Matt Moore.

What do people think about his next 4 matchups?

Reds, Mil, Reds, Mil

Disadvantage playing the same teams that close?

By the way, read this Rotoworld statement, and tell me it's not weird/confusing.

Morton should get a ton of grounders with his sinker, and if he's a decent strikeout pitcher, too, then he has legitimate All-Star potential.

It's like saying Erik Bedard should throw a baseball at some point this year, and if he pitches really well, too, then he can maybe be an All-Star.

Rotoworld is the worst

1 person likes this

i saw that too the other day and thought it was weird, I was like WTF!

Morton should get a ton of grounders with his sinker, and if he's a decent strikeout pitcher, too, then he has legitimate All-Star potential

It's like saying Erik Bedard should throw a baseball at some point this year, and if he pitches really well, too, then he can maybe be an All-Star.

Rotoworld is the worst

Code of Hammurabi should have a good fantasy year, and if all his players can be all-stars, too, he has league winning potential.

Hahaha!

Code of Hammurabi should have a good fantasy year, and if all his players can be all-stars, too, he has league winning potential.

Just wonder how much he plays against LHP with that brutal Stubbs on the roster... I hope a lot

Just wonder how much he plays against LHP with that brutal Stubbs on the roster... I hope a lot

?

?

I was wondering the same thing....Maybe wrong thread?

I posted this in the sleeper thread. It got lost in there. I'm bringing it back here where it belongs.

Okay, I have lots of guys I could list. I tend to go with deep sleepers as I do deeper leagues over just your standard value plays.

One guy that has me intrigued is Charlie Morton. I just drafted him at pick 430 in a league which means he won't be drafted in like 2/3rds of most leagues. You should see the lepers that are out there at 430.

Last season his velocity ticked up a notch and his K/9 increased to a respectable 6.59 (which is what you want for an average from your starters even in a standard mixed league). His GB% was crazy good at 62.9%, which means less HR allowed (He only gave up 6 in 116 innings last year). His peripheral stats suggest that he wasn't overly lucky when posting that 3.26 ERA last season. He might legitimately be a 3.5 ERA guy moving forward.

He is a nice pick to fill out your staff at the end of a draft, especially a 20-teamer like the one I was in. I feel like I nabbed Tim Hudson numbers, but 150 picks later in the draft. I'm thinking he will make a nice $1 play in NL only leagues as well.

Not an exciting pick necessarily but a guy that is basically free in drafts and should have value for sure this year, maybe even in mixed leagues.

I drafted this guy on 3 teams. I think he will be rostered in all formats by the end of the year and is more than just your standard streaming option.

3 people like this

I'm a wee bit skeptical of streaming him tomorrow. His era is significantly worse on the road as opposed to home

I'm a wee bit skeptical of streaming him tomorrow. His era is significantly worse on the road as opposed to home

Hopefully he has a good outing, but I'm starting Bonifacio against him regardless.

He did pretty well last year in Wrigley and against the Cubs.

If you won't start him against the Cubs, who do you start him against? Dude had a 3.26 ERA last year in 116 innings and really wasn't that bad on the road with a 3.61 ERA in 62.1 IP last season. So, you have a guy that is really putting things together against a team that isn't good.

3 people like this

^Indeed.

As we've already mentioned and discussed, Morton has a great ground ball rate. Even if it's blowing out @ Wrigley Field, he reduces the chances of HR's with that ground ball rate. He already pitched well against this same Cubs team last week to open his season, and they stacked the line up against him with a bunch of left handed hitters.

I would be pretty confident in starting him again today against that weak Cubs line up. This being his first full season back from the Tommy John surgery in 2012, I would look for him to improve his command, and continue on the path of his strong finish to the 2013 season.

The weather in Chicago tonight is projected to be clear and cold tonight (upper 30's - lower 40's), with winds under 10mph, so the wind won't be a factor. The only thing may be the cold temps, but that can work against the hitters just as much, if not even more so, than the pitchers.

http://www.accuweath...18184_poi?day=1

1 person likes this

i saw that too the other day and thought it was weird, I was like WTF!

Morton should get a ton of grounders with his sinker, and if he's a decent strikeout pitcher, too, then he has legitimate All-Star potential

Rotoworld is the worst

I think what they were trying to say is that if he keeps up that high ground ball rate, which is highly expected, and then IMPROVES on his K/9 rate then you could really see a jump in his overall production. They just did an awful job wording it in a roundabout way. Basically if he improves on the K/9 then look for him to border on putting up All-Star worthy numbers.

Hindsight is always 20/20 - but in the end, when it comes down to guys like Morton, if you bothered rostering him, then you roll him out there vs. any team not named STL, or @ the crazy home parks like Coors, ARI & CIN (and no way @ BOS/NYY in interleague play).

I'm actually quite optimistic on his 2014 chances, in a pitcher friendly park, a team that plays great D, and a ground-ball heavy approach. I seriously doubt he turns into Halladay V2, but the point that he's learned to throw 3-4 pitches from the same arm slot, that's a huge plus in my book - the ability to fool hitters by having everything look the same for the first 50 feet is huge.

Guy isn't an ace or even SP2 ceiling player, but if he were to return a 3.50 ERA, a sub 1.20 WHIP, and play on a contender (yes I'm calling them contenders) with great D like the Pirates, at basically WW prices, those are the kind of incremental gains you look for - turning WW trash into SP3-4 gold. And because he comes at the cost of a WW pick (or last-round deal), then really, nothing lost. But everything from last year and so far says green light. It doesn't always work out, but if you make the right decisions using the right principles, you give yourself the best chance - and starting vs. CHC is one of those slam-dunk decisions. Even those have no guarantees, but really, if you believe in him to roster him, you throw him out there today with absolute confidence, and let the chips fall where they may.

2 people like this

Morton is going to be rock solid this year. Very upset I missed out on him. If he even takes a slight uptick in k's, he honestly might be a good sp3.

1 person likes this