Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dannyusf

Miami Marlins 2014 Outlook

28 posts in this topic

Don't look now! But the Marlins are number 1 in the division and undefeated!

They got Jose and Eovaldi is looking nasty.

Chisek seems like a reliable closer.

Giancarlo could stay healthy.

Yelich and Ozuna got something to prove this year and Marsinick is still in the minors developing.

Maybe they won't be as pathetic as people think they will be.

The strip joint in the stadium has some major upside.

1 person likes this

Looks like they are starting to recover from those abysmal last two weeks, though it is Seattle.

Hitting well, 3 starting pitchers with an under 3 era, but errors and the bullpen have killed this team early on.

So these guys stealing signs or what?

http://mlb.si.com/20...ng-gavin-floyd/

Funny. I especially like this part:

"Of course, there’s another possibility here: That Aaron Harang getting lit up in a major league start is not an unusual occurrence and that his success coming into Wednesday’s start was far more suspicious than his lousy outing against the Marlins. In 2012, Harang gave up two more runs than innings pitched eight times, three of those coming in his first six starts of the season. You’d be hard pressed to find someone outside of the Braves’ organization who didn’t think he was overdue for a shellacking heading into Wednesday’s game."

Miami swept the Braves because they played better baseball than them. Someone should write an article on that.

1 person likes this

So these guys stealing signs or what?

http://mlb.si.com/20...ng-gavin-floyd/

Funny. I especially like this part:

"Of course, there’s another possibility here: That Aaron Harang getting lit up in a major league start is not an unusual occurrence and that his success coming into Wednesday’s start was far more suspicious than his lousy outing against the Marlins. In 2012, Harang gave up two more runs than innings pitched eight times, three of those coming in his first six starts of the season. You’d be hard pressed to find someone outside of the Braves’ organization who didn’t think he was overdue for a shellacking heading into Wednesday’s game."

Miami swept the Braves because they played better baseball than them. Someone should write an article on that.

What do you mean? Harang isn't Cliff Lee? BLASPHEMY!

Hechaverria is starting to look like a good hitter.

Hind site beng what it is, I don't blame management for ditching the 20 mill a year divas in favor of this awesomeness.

The pitching staff that they've assembled is unreal. Young guns and all are under the age of 24. Plus they have a bunch in the minors too. My guess is they are playing for a championship within 3 years. I see Koehler is 27, but still.

The pitching staff that they've assembled is unreal. Young guns and all are under the age of 24. Plus they have a bunch in the minors too. My guess is they are playing for a championship within 3 years. I see Koehler is 27, but still.

Very true, they are eying a run soon cause you know they can't hold Stanton forever, he even tweets about being traded. Jose, eovladi, Alvarez and hopefully heisey will be legit of a staff. Alvarez probably the wild card here and heisey with experience factor. But I'm buying eovaldi

Miami's pitching is really good. And their hitting lineup is alot better than last seasons IMO. Even tonight in a losing effort they looked impressive with 8 and 9th innings rally attempts. Last year Marlins offense down early would waive the white flag halfway before the game was over. These lineups in comparison, especially with more XBH hitters in the middle of the lineup, are like night and day.

Agreed. If Eovaldi takes the next step, Alvarez is decent, and Koehler and/or Turner pan out, it's an improvement on last year's results. Also, the offense could be better than last year's situation and the eventual call-up of Heaney should help the pitching mid-season, as well. Overall, improvement should be a given. Plus, the division should be a bit easier to navigate with no Harvey or Hamels(for a time period not yet known) and the Atlanta issues.

Cautiously optimistic on the Marlins this year. The usual caveats apply. If Stanton is healthy and Fernandez is close to what he was last year, then the Marlins could win 75-80 games. Not saying it's gospel truth, but it's possible.

Does anyone have any other thoughts to add to this conversation? I feel like it was overlooked at the time, April 3rd, and there should be further discussion. Not saying these statements, by WarRate and myself, are unassailable. Just trying to get some further insight or input on this subject. Not sure if Heaney will be called up, as I was in my OP. But, further deliberation is always encouraged, and welcomed, on this site. What do you guys think? Should Marlins owners be optimistic, or should we be expecting the regression hammer to strike down like Thor?

Miami's pitching is really good. And their hitting lineup is alot better than last seasons IMO. Even tonight in a losing effort they looked impressive with 8 and 9th innings rally attempts. Last year Marlins offense down early would waive the white flag halfway before the game was over. These lineups in comparison, especially with more XBH hitters in the middle of the lineup, are like night and day.

Agreed. If Eovaldi takes the next step, Alvarez is decent, and Koehler and/or Turner pan out, it's an improvement on last year's results. Also, the offense could be better than last year's situation and the eventual call-up of Heaney should help the pitching mid-season, as well. Overall, improvement should be a given. Plus, the division should be a bit easier to navigate with no Harvey or Hamels(for a time period not yet known) and the Atlanta issues.

Cautiously optimistic on the Marlins this year. The usual caveats apply. If Stanton is healthy and Fernandez is close to what he was last year, then the Marlins could win 75-80 games. Not saying it's gospel truth, but it's possible.

Does anyone have any other thoughts to add to this conversation? I feel like it was overlooked at the time, April 3rd, and there should be further discussion. Not saying these statements, by WarRate and myself, are unassailable. Just trying to get some further insight or input on this subject. Not sure if Heaney will be called up, as I was in my OP. But, further deliberation is always encouraged, and welcomed, on this site. What do you guys think? Should Marlins owners be optimistic, or should we be expecting the regression hammer to strike down like Thor?

The Marlins seem pretty content with their pitching at the moment. I would say barring any setbacks or injuries, I don't believe they will call Heaney up. While I don't believe many sports writers were expecting the rotation to be good, the organization has a good amount of faith in their rotation which is still relatively young and establishing themselves. They have Fernandez as their ace and their other starts while not aces are definitely servicable for a major league organization.

The main reason they called up Fernandez to begin with was to bring attendance up. Heaney doesn't have that same luster. But if there is an injury come June-Sept and they are in the hunt, they wouldn't be afraid to call him up.

1 person likes this

Fernandez, Eovaldi and Alvarez have been good. Koehler has been good too although he's probably not this good. Still serviceable though with pretty good stuff and he's earned his rotation spot.

Heaney will come up later in the year for Jacob Turner who's been terrible for quite awhile now.

1 person likes this

Nice solid young base for this team. It would be interesting to see if they can manage to keep Stanton with the promise of a bright future. He probably still has in the back of his head how often this team tears things down to start over, but this team can certainly contend in the near future, especially if Yelich and Ozuna keep coming along to join Stanton for years to come.

1 person likes this

Here they are.

The Marlins.

In June.

Zero games back from first and only .001% difference in Win% with a +22 Run differential.

Even a month after they lost their best pitcher for the year.

Probably Not going to last. Still, very impressive for how bad they were last year.

With how bad the NL East has been this year, it's not inconceivable that the Marlins could win the division. Unlikely, yes. Impossible, no.

For as much flack as the Marlins got for selling the "championship calibur" team off for prospects, they've really made strides this year in their developing talent coming up and playing in the big leagues. And now they just added another young good arm in Cosart and a guy that looks like the 2nd coming of Ben Zobrist from the Astros. I think this Marlins team can definitely contend in 2015.

Jose Fernandez, Nate Eovaldi, Jarrod Cosart, Henderson Alvarez, Andrew Heaney can make for a solid rotation. Then a lineup supplanted by Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Salty, and perhaps McGehee if they decide to resign him can definitely contend. I think the Marlins will make a splash in Free Agency in the off-season, this team has come back to contention possibilty quickly.

For as much flack as the Marlins got for selling the "championship calibur" team off for prospects, they've really made strides this year in their developing talent coming up and playing in the big leagues. And now they just added another young good arm in Cosart and a guy that looks like the 2nd coming of Ben Zobrist from the Astros. I think this Marlins team can definitely contend in 2015.

Jose Fernandez, Nate Eovaldi, Jarrod Cosart, Henderson Alvarez, Andrew Heaney can make for a solid rotation. Then a lineup supplanted by Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Salty, and perhaps McGehee if they decide to resign him can definitely contend. I think the Marlins will make a splash in Free Agency in the off-season, this team has come back to contention possibilty quickly.

The Marlins and Phillies are both horribly managed teams, for different reasons.

But staying on topic, I think you have a more credible argument in that the Marlins have some promise, even if I believe it to be incorrect.

For the lineup, we know Stanton is one of the best hitters in the game. That's all I see though. Yelich is slightly above and Ozuna is essentially a replacement level player. Salty and McGahee are mediocre. I don't think anyone will be afraid to face the lineup at all.

Then for the rotation....I see a recovering Jose Fernandez, an above average Henderson Alvarez, and three mediocre pitchers.Sure, there aren't any bums, but Eovaldi and Cossart are not all that special. Heaney should be really good at some point, but I believe he's too far away from being relevant in 2015.

The Marlins have had a lot of success for a "young" franchise, but a ton of failure ever since 2003. The firesale a year after building a new stadium was a move that would put even the Wilpons to shame.

1 person likes this

Players the Marlins gave up in that trade the next year

Josh Johnson - missed 89 days on the D/L. Missed start with a blister. Record 2-9 6.20ERA in 16 starts

Mark Buerhle - 12-10, 4.15 ERA, 1.35WHIP

Jose Reyes - hit .296 and missed 66 games with an ankle injury

John Buck - traded to the Mets for Josh Thole and Boni

A year after that (2014)

Johnson is still on the disabled list (but with SD)

Buck is in SEA as a backup with 84 AB for the season.

Buerhle has had a resurgence of sorts reverting back to the form he had last shown in 2005-2006 (anyway a lot of years ago).

Reyes having a good season, but did hit the D/L again

I don't know, but to me the Marlins did not really trade away all that much going towards a championship team. The Blue Jays after the trade in 2013 and adding Melky and Dickey won one more game then they had won the year before, and I believe still finished last.

That "firesale" really didn't hurt the Marlins all that much.

2012 69-93

2013 62-100

2014 53-56 so they are improving

To ne fair though the Blue Jays have also improved greatly this year

1 person likes this

I don't think Yelich is just slightly above average. Dude is one of the better young players in the game, but just flies so far under the radar. He's only 22 and is showing the potential to be an elite OBP guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he posts ~.380 OBPs in his prime.

I don't think Yelich is just slightly above average. Dude is one of the better young players in the game, but just flies so far under the radar. He's only 22 and is showing the potential to be an elite OBP guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he posts ~.380 OBPs in his prime.

I've bagged on him in his player thread, but that was only for this season. I'm convinced he's going to be a complete stud in the near future. He's one skill away from being a top 3 round pick on the regular in fantasy world. He's got 25+ HR power in that bat he just hasn't learned how to hit enough flyballs yet.