Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron-cock

QB Wonderlic Scores

32 posts in this topic

From a Writeup Today:

There is no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success, and we're not even convinced they factor much into NFL teams' evaluations anymore, but people always seem to be interested in them

It might be true that there is no correlation between a high Wonderlic score and success as a Quarterback, but I would bet there is a correlation between low scores and failure.

Scoring under a 15 probably indicates a QB is more likely to fail. Has any QB ever scored under 10 and been successful in the NFL?

Rotoworld's blurb:

Blake Bortles scored 28. There is no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success, and we're not even convinced they factor much into NFL teams' evaluations anymore, but people always seem to be interested in them. For some perspective, Andrew Luck scored a 37 before the 2012 draft. Geno Smith scored a 24 last year. Blaine Gabbert scored 42. Christian Ponder scored 35. Colin Kaepernick scored 37, and Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25.

I like how they put Kaepernick and Roethlisberger together at the end. Coincidence?

Rotoworld's blurb:

Blake Bortles scored 28. There is no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success, and we're not even convinced they factor much into NFL teams' evaluations anymore, but people always seem to be interested in them. For some perspective, Andrew Luck scored a 37 before the 2012 draft. Geno Smith scored a 24 last year. Blaine Gabbert scored 42. Christian Ponder scored 35. Colin Kaepernick scored 37, and Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25.

I like how they put Kaepernick and Roethlisberger together at the end. Coincidence?

Haha I didn't even notice but that is pretty slick.

Didn't Vince Young score something like a 7? He and Chris Johnson had to be the dumbest QB/RB combo in league history.

Fitz did great .....not like that helped him much

Rumor is Pryor got a Vince young like score

Not surprised rbs tend to score low

Fitz did great .....not like that helped him much

Yeah, high scores don't mean you will be successful, but do very low scores correlate with failure at the QB position? It looks like it, which it part of why the wonderlic is valuable.

Well my work gave us the wondelic and I got a 42 so I can clearly be an NFL QB. I know Tavon and AJ Green did absolutely terrible on theirs (~7 I think) and they seem to be doing pretty good in the NFL. It doesn't have any correlation either positively or negatively but I guess I would prefer if the people in my fantasy team were smart but I don't really care.

Edit: Going into last year Gabbert had the highest wonderlic score of any starting QB at 42/50 so that proves that it is useless.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1hfmp1/wonderlic_scores_for_each_teams_starting_qb/

Well my work gave us the wondelic and I got a 42 so I can clearly be an NFL QB. I know Tavon and AJ Green did absolutely terrible on theirs (~7 I think) and they seem to be doing pretty good in the NFL. It doesn't have any correlation either positively or negatively but I guess I would prefer if the people in my fantasy team were smart but I don't really care.

Edit: Going into last year Gabbert had the highest wonderlic score of any starting QB at 42/50 so that proves that it is useless.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1hfmp1/wonderlic_scores_for_each_teams_starting_qb/

It is hard to believe someone could score that high on the wonderlic but still not be able to understand what was a very simple argument that had nothing to do with high scores turning out better nfl players.

3 people like this

I know that Donavan McNabb scored a 14 and he, of course, went on to have a very nice career. I believe Jim Kelly and Steve McNair also scored 15. So at least for those 3 it didn't seem to matter the score. But it would be interesting to find out how the majority of NFL QB's did if they scored less than 20 on the test. We can easily see the high score doesn't necessarily predict a great QB. With the 3 examples I just gave it would appear a lower score doesn't necessarily matter either, but of course those could be the only 3 out of 1,000 QB's to be sucessful with a lower score. Maybe someone at Rotoworld could do some research on this? :P

He clearly cheated

It is hard to believe someone could score that high on the wonderlic but still not be able to understand what was a very simple argument that had nothing to do with high scores turning out better nfl players.

He clearly cheated

Didn't Vince Young score something like a 7? He and Chris Johnson had to be the dumbest QB/RB combo in league history.

Dan Marino scored a 15, Terry Bradshaw a 16. There isn't much correlation b/w Wonderlic scores and success......Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 on the high end....

For all players, Frank Gore scored a 6 and Morris Claiborne (who has been a bust thus far) scored a 4.

I know that Donavan McNabb scored a 14 and he, of course, went on to have a very nice career.

It wasn't a great career. He was good but not great when young.

When he had to learn a new offense at Washington the results were ugly, even though he had a ton of NFL experience at that point.

I know that Donavan McNabb scored a 14 and he, of course, went on to have a very nice career.

When he had to learn a new offense at Washington the results were ugly, even though he had a ton of NFL experience at that point.

He was shot by the time he got to Washington. His lack of success there had nothing to do with not being able to learn the offense.

2 people like this

He was shot by the time he got to Washington. His lack of success there had nothing to do with not being able to learn the offense.

McNabb ranks #17 all time in passing yards and #22 in both passing TD's and passer rating. That seems like a very nice career to me. And I agree that by time he got to Washington he was done. Maybe learning the offense had something to do with it, but I think his failures had more to do with his pysical well being.

McNabb ranks #17 all time in passing yards and #22 in both passing TD's and passer rating. That seems like a very nice career to me. And I agree that by time he got to Washington he was done. Maybe learning the offense had something to do with it, but I think his failures had more to do with his pysical well being.

Pretty impressive numbers to me. Especially when you consider besides his 3 and half years with TO and Djax he was throwing to second rate talent. Also I agree he was shot by the time he got to Wash.

I agree McNabb had a nice (I'd say great) career. It seems like around 15 is the lowest a NFL QB scores and has success. We never really see the extremely low scores we see at RB/WR/CB.

I believe Jim Kelly and Steve McNair also scored 15. So at least for those 3 it didn't seem to matter the score. But it would be interesting to find out how the majority of NFL QB's did if they scored less than 20 on the test.

Yeah, like you mentioned later in your post it's really hard to tell since we don't have an official list of every QB score ever. We can pick out individual ones that were leaked (Jeff George scored a 10!) but unless we have a full list we never know how many no-name QB's failed (or succeeded) with a score like that.

We can easily see the high score doesn't necessarily predict a great QB.

I've read that GM's and Scouts don't like really high or low scores for a QB. An excessively low score shows a lack of effort, or some type of deficiency. The reason for excessively high scores being bad was the idea that a person like that might be more likely to question authority and probably have different career paths open to them

One supposed QB Drafting formula that uses the wonderlic.

http://www.dailynors...959780/26-27-60

26-27-60

The formula represents the prospects Wonderlic Score (26 is minimum passing score), number of games started and his career completion percentage.

It's a pretty compelling arguement. I will highlight some of the findings after the jump.

Since 1998, these are some of the NFL quarterbacks who aced all three parts of the Rule of 26-27-60: Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Stafford.

(More at the link)

How many Super Bowl titles do Brady and Eli Manning have? They scored 33 and 39 respectively on the test.

Russell Wilson? 28.

Ben Roethlisberger? 25

Drew Brees? 28

Rodgers? 35

Tony Romo scored a 37... and Terry Bradshaw and Jim Kelly both scored 15.

So final verdict no correlation :).

How many Super Bowl titles do Brady and Eli Manning have? They scored 33 and 39 respectively on the test.

Russell Wilson? 28.

Ben Roethlisberger? 25

Drew Brees? 28

Rodgers? 35

Tony Romo scored a 37... and Terry Bradshaw and Jim Kelly both scored 15.

So final verdict no correlation :).

Who...or what are you replying to?

It give you one piece out of many when it comes to grading a person. If you don't know how to interpret the information that is gained which is by far the hardest part it's worthless and just another layer of data. Having data and being able to interpret and understand it are completely different. The people who can do that are in short supply especially in the sports worlds.

A good question would be if sheer intelligence and success in the NFL have a correlated relationship. If not then it doesn't matter the medium through which the players are tested (IQ test, Wonderlic, etc...), because it will provide no actionable or value-added insight.

A good question would be if sheer intelligence and success in the NFL have a correlated relationship. If not then it doesn't matter the medium through which the players are tested (IQ test, Wonderlic, etc...), because it will provide no actionable or value-added insight.

That is far too broad, there is no single indicator at the combine that leads to NFL success. A guy can run a great 40 and still not be a great NFL player. He can do poorly on the 40 and yet succeed where others have failed...but in general you'd lean towards drafting a guy who runs a better 40 time because.....well duh...he ran a better 40. Unless they were Quarterbacks..then you might not care as much if was great at throwing the ball...see what I mean about combine tests? None of them are sure bets that are universal predictors of success for every position.

People tend to hold the wonderlic at the combine up to some unrealistic standard compared to other combine activities.

All I'm saying is, for quarterbacks, it would seem a low score (UNDER 15) means you are likely to fail. We have one exception (McNabb).

We have yet to see a successful QB who has had a reported score under 10.

I don't think a high score on the wonderlic helps you as a QB, but it sure seems that a very low score hurts.

For anyone really interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_(psychometrics)