Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MonsterMan

Joe Smith 2014 Outlook

44 posts in this topic

i swooped as a speculative add since I had an extra spot...

could be huge if he somehow takes the job and runs for the angels

Here's hoping the Sciosciapath listens to those around him and makes the change

Picked up as handcuff to Frieri... Didn't want to make room for him but I think if you have Frieri you gotta.

Frieri owner here, looking at the Angels' depth chart, Smith sure seems like the only possible option. I grabbed him 5 minutes ago.

Frieri owner here, looking at the Angels' depth chart, Smith sure seems like the only possible option. I grabbed him 5 minutes ago.

Fernando Salas?

Fernando Salas?

Salas is a butcher. No way

Salas has let every inherited runner score this year.

No shot.

At least he's consistent.

4 people like this

Hope this guy runs with it and erases the "for now" part but with this manager I'm not betting on it. Frieri owners with the room shouldn't dump him altogether just yet it sounds like.

-QG

Joe Smith did not run with it when given a shot last year in CLE. I'd grab him to vulture a couple weeks worth of saves, but wouldn't expect him to hold the job ROS even if he pitches decently.

Wow, thanks for the fake-out, Scioscia. "Frieri is still our closer" then... SURPRISE IT'S JOE SMITH. Actually would have been better to be LATE to this news.

He's better than Frieri... Frieri is very talented but can't close. This is beyond proven. The Angels were dumb to continue with him as their closer this year.

He's better than Frieri... Frieri is very talented but can't close. This is beyond proven. The Angels were dumb to continue with him as their closer this year.

I don't know about this yet. Smith is solid, but closing is a different animal than 8th inning work. Hitters just refuse to give up that last out, and it becomes a tad harder. I think Smith can be ok but I wonder if he blows one right away if he instantly loses his job. I think he needs to convert a save or two to really have a decent grasp on the job. As much as people think Frieri will get his job back, if Smith has an era in the 2's and a high % of converted saves, he could be a pretty good closer the rest of the year.

He's been overall a succesful closer for multiple years. He can close, just struggling this year.

I'm surprised that no one is talking about Joe Smith, he's been lights out lately.