Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GottaGetTheWin

2014 Dynasty/Keeper League Central

584 posts in this topic

The idea was thrown around late last year of having a dynasty league sub forum since analysis and ADP can be extremely different in those formats than in re-drafts. Since that doesn't look it will be happening anytime soon I figured a Dynasty League discussion could be had here.

This is your source for all things dynasty.

How do you rank certain players based on dynasty leagues?

How does being in a dynasty league affect your draft/trade strategy?

Got anyone that you feel could be a good dynasty league stash but has no value in a re-draft...Post them here and discuss.

Let's talk some dynasty league fun.

In my dynasty league with a 3 round Rookie Draft, I'm doing everything in my power to move up and get Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans.

In my dynasty league with a 3 round Rookie Draft, I'm doing everything in my power to move up and get Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans.

Benjamin Kelvin

Can I get some sense of who will be in the draft? Rookies only in yours?

In my 12 team dynasty the commish decided to let us keep our starters plus only 2 reserves. That means there will be some serviceable veterans available. And yet...I'm still thinking about taking Evans with my #2 pick. What about you?

Side Note: Do we want/need more latitude for cool stories and AC Forum Type questions in this thread? I think it might be necessary for context.

Can I get some sense of who will be in the draft? Rookies only in yours?

In my 12 team dynasty the commish decided to let us keep our starters plus only 2 reserves. That means there will be some serviceable veterans available. And yet...I'm still thinking about taking Evans with my #2 pick. What about you?

Side Note: Do we want/need more latitude for cool stories and AC Forum Type questions in this thread? I think it might be necessary for context.

Yes all offensive rookies taken in the draft are eligible to be taken in our two round rookie draft. We've already got our whole teams kept, and the other veterans and such are on the FA wire to be picked up if we so choose at the expense of dropping one of our guys. We have 4 reserve slots, of which we can choose to put our two rookie selections and then two others that were on our rosters.

I currently have the #4 overall pick and I know Sammy and Mike will be gone so I'm trying to deal with the guy who has the #1 pick. I'm not entirely sold on Kelvin Benjamin, but if I can't work a deal with the guy, Benjamin may be the guy to go with at 4. I personally love Evans. He has elite ball skills, great hands and size, and is faster than some people give him credit for. It depends on where he lands come next Thursday, but if he ends up in a good situation I will take him 1 overall.

how does that work, if you draft 2 rookies, you have to drop 2 players before to make room ?

and is the FA market open all off-season ? There is a WW going on ?

I think it should'nt be open, say if there is a player like Sanders who could have been FA and with the new of him signing for the broncos, the fastest guy to pick him up , got it ?

This place needs a Dynasty sub forum. There is too many great posters with too much good stuff to not have one.

Our league moved from redraft to dyno and I can honestly say I don't frequent this place as much as I used to during football season because the info barely applies to my needs. I imagine dyno will only continue to grow in the future. .

Mods take note. :ph34r:

2 people like this

how does that work, if you draft 2 rookies, you have to drop 2 players before to make room ?

I think it should'nt be open, say if there is a player like Sanders who could have been FA and with the new of him signing for the broncos, the fastest guy to pick him up , got it ?

Yes, it is a bit flawed and were all trying to figure out how to make it better (this will be our 3rd year), but yes we have a WW during the season with 4 reserve spots and by a week after the season we have the option to narrow down our reserves down to 2 in exchange for 2 draft picks in the upcoming draft (ie we could cut one of our reserves and we'd get only one pick in the rookie draft). Everyone is all in this year for the rookie draft as there is a surplus in position talent. For example last year, I kept all 4 of my reserves and didn't have any picks in the rookie draft because I saw my players as better fits than anyone in the draft. It's a work in progress for sure, but we all love it because it gives you a real life feel to your fantasy team.

Thank you for creating this thread! I will be in here a ton reading/posting.

Yes, it is a bit flawed and were all trying to figure out how to make it better (this will be our 3rd year), but yes we have a WW during the season with 4 reserve spots and by a week after the season we have the option to narrow down our reserves down to 2 in exchange for 2 draft picks in the upcoming draft (ie we could cut one of our reserves and we'd get only one pick in the rookie draft). Everyone is all in this year for the rookie draft as there is a surplus in position talent. For example last year, I kept all 4 of my reserves and didn't have any picks in the rookie draft because I saw my players as better fits than anyone in the draft. It's a work in progress for sure, but we all love it because it gives you a real life feel to your fantasy team.

This is interesting. If I understand correctly you don't have to draft rookies if you want to keep your entire existing roster year to year?

Typical rookie hype at this time of the year. Now might be the best time to sell the rookie picks high.

This is interesting. If I understand correctly you don't have to draft rookies if you want to keep your entire existing roster year to year?

That is usually how it works. You'll have a rookie draft 2-4 rounds and however many rookies you draft you have to drop a corresponding number of vets from your roster.

Typical rookie hype at this time of the year. Now might be the best time to sell the rookie picks high.

This

Evans is not the only WR that's 6'5' ish.

See how Allen was a 3rd rounder last year and beat the pants of the 1st and 2nd round guys.

This

Evans is not the only WR that's 6'5' ish.

See how Allen was a 3rd rounder last year and beat the pants of the 1st and 2nd round guys.

Situation > Talent when it comes to single fantasy seasons.

Allen is talented, don't get me wrong. But 90% of the reason he was useful at all last year was because the 10* guys in front of him all got hurt in a short span. Had it not been for that, he'd have been useless and Patterson would have reigned supreme. (1st rounder)

*Hyperbole

Best time to sell is during the draft. That's when people trying to move up get impulsive.

What's the group consensus on Brian Quick for dynasty purposes? Is he still a hold or is this train officially derailed before it ever leaves the station?

I have given up on Quick. My Dynasty league is huge, 12 team, starts qb, 2 rb, 2 wr a rb/wr slot, wr/te slot, te, OP slot, dt, 2 de, 3 lb, 2 cb, 2 safety, one DP position. We started in 2010 so only players that year and after are eligible. Quick is useless, I currently have Julio, Stills, Mike Williams and Baldwin along with Quick, and see no way ever he amounts to anything!

We work ours this way: We carry 42 on our roster total, and have 8 rds of rookie draft. Draft is 3rd week of preseason. You have 7 days to narrow down your roster from 50 back down to 42. You don't want em, drop em. League started in 2010 so only players available from then on are allowed. We use an auction for free agent pick ups so you start the year with 100 bucks to spend. off season, no money allowed, first come first serve on pickups. Its year round. Trades allowed for draft picks, for future drafts pretty much anything. I can never go back to regular fantasy!

Yep, I like it because it feels like you're managing your own roster for a real team.

Saw something the other day(I think it was on a sports science draft special) where it showed something like only 2 of the top 10 fastest 40 times for RBs and WRs actually had a decent or good career and something like 4 of the top 20. They also showed for RBs, size is a huge part but it has to be within a certain range. Average size for the best RBs is around 5'11 and around 200 pounds. There are a few outliers that don't fit within that range and still have very productive careers but that seems to be the best size for elite RBs. I think they said around 6'3 and 220 for WRs is also the prime body type for WRs to have huge careers.

Sheds a lot of light on how size and speed affect the player's careers. The elite RBs and WRs tend to be not too small but also not too big and not too slow but also not too fast. There's outliers like Jerome Bettis(much bigger) and CJ?K(much faster) and even AP is a little bigger than the "prime" size but most tend to be in that range. RBs -around 5'11 and 200 pounds WRs- around 6'3 and 220 pounds. Again this is not a strict guideline on the way players will turn out, but it is a trend that seems to be true and i'll be taking it into account with new prospects coming into the league that I draft for dynasty leagues. Also there are other athletic freaks like Megatron but with players like him, speed and athleticism were not sacrificed by the increase in size(like it usually does with bigger players) so he becomes an outlier but when you look at the top WRs of the past(or even present) they mainly fall in the category of 6'3 220 lbs with a 4.4 - 4.5 40 time.

Point being don't put too much stock in over/under sized or top end/low end speed guys. If a guy doesn't fit that range but is talented all around, they may still produce very effectively but make sure the talent is legit and not due to being bigger or faster because they tend fail at the NFL level. Just another little factor to think about while scouting talent in rookies or players who will be given a bigger role for your teams future.

1 person likes this

For those of us playing in keeper leagues, I am curious as to who people will be targeting in mid to late rounds for keeper value.

Last year players like ben tate, alshon jeffery, josh gordon, crabtree etc., were all plausible keeper targets for me.

Who do you guys like this year? Who has expiring contracts that may end up in a better situation next year (the tate effect)? Who has monster breakout potential (the alshon effect)? Anyone serving suspensions/injuries that can get good value at?

Cordarelle Patterson?

Christine Michael. Lynch has one year after this one at a high cap number.

They also showed for RBs, size is a huge part but it has to be within a certain range. Average size for the best RBs is around 5'11 and around 200 pounds. There are a few outliers that don't fit within that range and still have very productive careers but that seems to be the best size for elite RBs.

I wonder how true this is now? I'd agree with height being around 5'11, but 200 pounds is usually a 3rd down back imo, seems like most elite backs have good speed and are around 215-220.

Of the last 12 rushing champions:

8 were above 215

4 were under 215.

LeSean McCoy:

Height 5'11

Weight: 208

40: 4.50 s

Adrian Peterson:

Height: 6 ft 1 in

Weight: 217

40: 4.4

MJD:

Height: 5 ft 6¾

Weight: 207 (Pretty sure he played closer to 215)

40: 4.39

Arian Foster

Height: 6'1

Weight 227

40: 4.68

Chris Johnson

Height: 5'11

Weight: 191 lb

40 Time: 4.24 s

Adrian Peterson

Height: 6 ft 1 in

Weight: 217

40: 4.4

LaDainian Tomlinson

Height: 5 ft 10 in

Weight: 223

40 Time: 4.46s

LaDainian Tomlinson

Height: 5 ft 10 in

Weight: 223

40 Time: 4.46s

Shawn Alexander

Height: 5 ft 11 in

Weight: 228

40 Time: 4.58

Curtis Martin

Height: 5 ft 11 in

Weight: 210

40 time: 4.4

Jamal Lewis

Weight: 240

40: 4.58

Ricky Williams

Weight: 244

40 time: 4.56 s

I think it was a range of 200-220 pounds for rbs actually. My bad I was trying to remember exactly what they said but I guess I didn't get all of it right