Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Armalite

2014 Fantasy Contradictions: Good Players IRL Not Fantasy

19 posts in this topic

But almost worthless in most fantasy leagues,

I'll start:

Nick Markakis, rocket arm, plays his position well, gets on base at a decent clip, hits between .275-290, last couple of years is lucky to hit 15 home runs and steal 10 bases, won't bring home the bacon in fantasy.

Markakis was a good player in real life. He's become increasingly mediocre including a replacement level -0.1 WAR last year.....Hasn't been over 1.7 WAR since 2010.

A guy like Simmons who put up a WAR of over 4.5 or Gerardo Parra with a WAR over 4 would fit the bill. Their defense is elite.....

1 person likes this

Players that are good at defense.

Andrelton Simmons

Geraldo Parra

Yunel Escobar

Zack Cosart

Darwin Barney

victorino was. still kind of is. ozzie smith had great defense. probably the best at SS but his hitting was a real life liability with them 26 career HRs. if ozzie smith played today he would no be a hall of famer.

to a lesser extent, Matt Carpenter.

How in God's name is Matt Carpenter not good in fantasy? He literally finished as the #3 2nd baseman on the ESPN player rater last year and is on pace for 100+ runs again.

to a lesser extent, Matt Carpenter.

How in God's name is Matt Carpenter not good in fantasy? He literally finished as the #3 2nd baseman on the ESPN player rater last year and is on pace for 100+ runs again.

Nobody would want a 2B with 199 Hits, 55 Doubles, 11 HR, 78 RBI, 126 Runs, and a .873 OPS

Juan Lagares with elite defense in center field.

Nolan Arenado right now until the power develops (gold glove 3B that can hit for solid average).

if ozzie smith played today he would no be a hall of famer.

Nost ridiculous thing I've read on the boards in some time. Congrats.

if ozzie smith played today he would no be a hall of famer.

Nost ridiculous thing I've read on the boards in some time. Congrats.

He only his 28 career HRs. Don't you realize that HRs are the only thing that matters? (not AVG, OBP, SB, defense, etc.)

1 person likes this

Catchers who can catch.

How long has Jose Molina been in the league? Career .236 hitter, been in the big leagues for 15 years.

Catchers who can catch.

How long has Jose Molina been in the league? Career .236 hitter, been in the big leagues for 15 years.

Not only catch, call games. Brad Ausmus was one of the best and a shoo in for a manager spot whenever he wanted one. He didn't hit much.

Chris Denorfia is a passable bench OF in fantasy but is I hell of a little player in real life

Scooter Gennett. I just wanted to type his name in a forum this year. Check.