Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

umarjibril

Mike Leake 2014 Outlook

37 posts in this topic

This guy has been quietly putting up decent numbers this year. Thoughts?

Good reliable streamer target for 2-start weeks. Doesn't seem like he gets blown up very often. Very nice start against the Padres tonight. Seems like he could be a Tim Hudson-type pitcher this year.

Figured I would start a thread for this guy.

I just traded for him and am happy with his start today. 8 innings 1 run 1 BB 5 Ks

He has pitched well so far but is stuck with only 2 wins as the Reds struggle to give him run support.

yea he's actually a pretty solid pitcher. I have owned him all year and he's been pretty steady for me. He mixes his stuff well and can throw any pitch on any count; He keeps batters guessing..not a "sexy" pitcher but he's becoming a must start for me even with a bad matchup

yea he's actually a pretty solid pitcher. I have owned him all year and he's been pretty steady for me. He mixes his stuff well and can throw any pitch on any count; He keeps batters guessing..not a "sexy" pitcher but he's becoming a must start for me even with a bad matchup

I agree. I figured he was/still is a good buy low as he could easily have 4 or 5 wins right now.

I was wanting to pick him up for his two start this week, but forgot. Good to see him go out and dominate the lowly Pads.

damn, added and dropped Leake for his 2 starts this week only.

now with the rain PPD and Cingrani returning Sunday, he loses that 2nd start

I guess he'll get 2 next week now, but less appealing for sure.

Are you sure about that? ESPN currently shows Leake starting on Sunday and Cingrani on Monday.

Are you sure about that? ESPN currently shows Leake starting on Sunday and Cingrani on Monday.

I'm sure

Tony Cingrani (shoulder) will be activated from the disabled list to start on Sunday versus the Phillies.

He was either going to get the ball on Sunday or Monday, and now we have a definitive day. Cingrani missed a couple weeks with a minor shoulder ailment, but fantasy owners shouldn't hesitate to stick him back into their lineups immediately. He boasts a 3.34 with 32 strikeouts over 32 1/3 innings this season.

Source: C. Trent Rosecrans on Twitter

May 16 - 3:22 PM

I'm sure

Tony Cingrani (shoulder) will be activated from the disabled list to start on Sunday versus the Phillies.

He was either going to get the ball on Sunday or Monday, and now we have a definitive day. Cingrani missed a couple weeks with a minor shoulder ailment, but fantasy owners shouldn't hesitate to stick him back into their lineups immediately. He boasts a 3.34 with 32 strikeouts over 32 1/3 innings this season.

Source: C. Trent Rosecrans on Twitter

May 16 - 3:22 PM

Dang that sucks. Picked up Leake for the same reason.

1 person likes this

So far having a nice game against the Nationals, don't know too much about him. How come he's not owned in most leagues?

^ he's a good solid pitcher but his K/9 is below average as he really doesn't have a "swing and miss" pitch

For being FA fodder, if I swung that way I would honestly give him a reacharound for being hot in his own way.

1 person likes this

Yeah he plays a lot of innings,

For being FA fodder, if I swung that way I would honestly give him a reacharound for being hot in his own way.

Yeah he plays a ton of innings which is key.

Leake is an enigma.

Good moving fastball and good curve, but doesn't K as many as he should and is hit more than he should be.

First time I sat Leake all year because of the match up and he's been rotten lately. Ugh Making the Blue Jays look easy some how.

The real problem with him as a fantasy pitcher is how damned unpredictable he is. When he's on, he looks like a good #2 or #3, but when he's not, your ratios get creamed and you don't get K either. He's good when on a roll, and makes a nice 5th/6th option then.

Leake is a finesse pitcher, doesn't have electric stuff to blow hitters away with but has great command and can really spot his pitches. Kind of like Bartolo Colon, he can variate his fastball a bit with some good off-speed stuff. Leake can eat innings. Doesn't really K guys. But like Bartolo, when he doesn't spot his pitches he gets blown away hard because he fastball that averages at 90 MPH isn't blowing by any hitters.

Dude is as streaky as they come. You just have to catch his hot streaks and avoid the bad ones. I brought him up today after his amazing showing against Toronto and loving life so far.

Hard as hell to be an owner of his. You simply have to start him every time, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Having @SD up makes him a viable start, particularly with the offense showing life behind him. Ks are up this year, especially in June, but that could end up being a blip.