Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghostdragon

Chase Whitley 2014 Outlook

56 posts in this topic

Why only 4.2 today? 0ER 2H 2BB 74/43 PC/ST. Didn't watch the game but it looks like he had no run support.

Someone smart that follows pitching prospects please say something about this guy. Is he worth keeping on our teams?

Don't know anything about his prospect status, but I like him for next week at least at Wrigley.

Date:

Chase Whitley - S - Yankees

Yankees purchased the contract of RHP Chase Whitley from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

No word yet on the corresponding 40-man roster move. Whitley, 24, posted a 2.36 ERA and 32/7 K/BB ratio over 26 1/3 innings this season in Triple-A and will make his major league debut Thursday night against the Mets. He's a wait-and-see option in fantasy leagues.

May 15 - 4:21 PM

Chase Whitley - S - Yankees

Yankees pitching prospect Chase Whitley will be called up to make his major league debut on Thursday versus the Mets.

The original thought was that Alfredo Aceves would get the start in place of the injured CC Sabathia (knee), but the Yanks have decided to give Whitley a shot. A former 15th-round pick, Whitley has made a full-time move to the rotation this season at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and has thrived with a 2.36 ERA and 32/7 K/BB ratio over 26 1/3 innings. He'll need to be added to the 40-man roster.

Sound promising enough. I like the K-rate. With Nuno pitching poorly and Phelps shaky, I'm looking to add him in my AL-only league.

1 person likes this

Like his chances today as a streamer vs. Twinkies ?

With Arcia and Willingham back in Yankee stadium? No. His HR/FB luck changes today.

He's getting tons of whiffs, but his value will be pretty limited until Girardi stops babying him and lets him pitch more than 5 innings.

I gotta say, this kid impresses me every time he pitches. Hes all arms and legs out there. Tall kid. Of course joe never lets him go more than 5 innings because hes been a reliever most of his minor league career.

Left him in for the 6th, good sign. Still only at 71 pitches, curious to see if he comes out for the 7th.

How high is his upside for ROTY? Watched a few innings of his and he looks great

what do you think will happen tonight? any predictions on his line? he has a solid era right now.. time for a regression?

i dunno but looking quite solid so far. i need the W quite bad. hoping to get out of this and ditch. don't see him as a long term solution in that sandbox in new york. also doesn't really have dominating stuff and will most likely have big hiccups when they do occur. that being said his stuff can be nasty enough to deliver decent K's it seems.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 13, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

can't believe i dropped him for eddie butler :(

Geez the way the kid is dicing them up he may sway me into hanging onto him afterwards. His control is impeccable (just 3 walks on the season, none tonight) and his off speed stuff is pretty filthy.

11.7 SwStr and 65.2 F-Strike so far

So he flashing some potential with that. Though he probably going to start giving up more Homers as we go along. Only a 2.4% HR/FB rate off a 40% FB rate for someone that pitches half his games at Yankee Stadium with a low 90's FB.

As was alluded to before. His Secondary pitches have been excellent thus far. Long term the heavy slider usage is probably not good.

With most new guys. I need to see how hitters approach him once they get a better scouting report on him.

Something you won't see in last nights box score: both Ellsbury and Gardner made ridiculous catches at the fence saving runs. On Gardiners they actually sounded the Home Run sound and put the run on the scoreboard before Gardiner trolled everyone and finally showed the ball in his glove lol.

Not taking away from a great game, just saying it could have been worse, and this is a Seattle lineup in Safeco.

His starts have come against some of the weaker hitting teams in baseball...

@NYM, @CHC, @STL, MIN, @KC, @SEA and only one of those in Yankee Stadium

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 13, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

Just was doing some research, ran across this guy, I like him.

Even though I'm in a 10 teamer, with a 10 players minor league

roster, I picked him up. Want to see more, will see what the future

holds, in the mean time, he can ride the pine. Needle in the haystack?

Maybe

Something you won't see in last nights box score: both Ellsbury and Gardner made ridiculous catches at the fence saving runs. On Gardiners they actually sounded the Home Run sound and put the run on the scoreboard before Gardiner trolled everyone and finally showed the ball in his glove lol.

Not taking away from a great game, just saying it could have been worse, and this is a Seattle lineup in Safeco.

Yeah, I saw that. Kinda torn on him. He came within inches of getting knocked around, but in the end his numbers look great. Tempted to drop him for "higher upside" guys, but have been burned in the past with this thinking. I figure he's a hold until we see what he does over his next few starts.