Sign in to follow this  
Kobe_No_Means_No

2013-2014 Playoffs NBA Finals Game Thread

I don't know, just weird how peolpe keep making sorry excuses for LeBron and his failures. He couldn't win in Cleveland, fine. I understand that. He cowardly teamed up with 2 big stars when they were in their primes and did great, but still found a way to blow vs the Mavs. in fact, that entire series he did nothing but disappear in the entire 4th quarter. I remember that very well because the media everywhere was bashing him for him not showing up in the 4th quarter at all. Now he's about to lose again, and people are making more excuses to defend him. He already lost his shot at being the best ever, mostly because Jordan never lost in the Finals, and didn't disappear in the 4th quarter.

Cool Narrative Bro. 4 straight finals appearances and 2 rings, 4 MVPs. Yeah, he's not that good. Again, you're the only one arguing about Jordan in an NBA Finals thread for 2014 when nobody is arguing against you saying Lebron is better. Seriously, way too much Skip Baylessing for a rotoworld forum post.

Cool way to twist words. I never said he wasn't great or not that good. Gotta love when people put false words into the mouth of others.

Anyway, I hope the Spurs finish this off.

And for the record. Skip Bayless like him or not, has said facts about LeBron.

"On Wednesday's show, I dared to place the bulk of the NBA Finals Game 3 blame on LeBron, who in the final three quarters contributed 8 points, 7 turnovers and zero free throw attempts and became strangely disengaged on offense, even as Miami cut a 25-point lead to seven late in the third quarter. My debate partner, Stephen A. Smith, condemned me for being "so disrespectful" and let LeBron off the hook by saying he "looked tired." The world's greatest and fittest athlete got tired after a sensational first quarter (14 points on 5-of-6 shooting, 2-for-2 on 3s, 2 free throws) of a pivotal Game 3 in His House?

Skip Bayless also said Lebron would never win a ring multiple times. But as long as I know you actually give credence to a troll like Bayless, I'm comfortable ending this discourse.

• Like 1

Like I said earlier anytime there is a rematch finals, the team that lost the first time wins the second time.

1997-98 Bulls/Jazz?

Exactly. Jordan didn't know what failure was like in the NBA Finals. Looks like LeBron is about to taste it for the 3rd time, 2 coming when he had all the help in the world.

Pretty sure Lebron is doing his part. Wade 3-13 , starting 1-10 and the starters shooting 32% "all the help in the world"? It's a team game. Wouldn't put this on Lebron, it is a team game...Spurs are looking like the much better team.

The last time Jordan lost a finals game was against Utah in 1998. The Bulls only scored 81 points and Tony Kukoc (30) scored more points than the other 4 Heat starters tonight.

LeBron has plenty of help now compared to Cleveland. He's made it to 4 straight finals, and is about to lose his 3rd NBA Finals. Jordan had help, and he dominated and never lost. Heat have no excuses.

Did you even watch the games or are you just pulling crap out just so you can compare two guys from two different eras whom played in two different situations?

People compare those 2 all the time. Blame ESPN and LeBron himself. He was the won who declared himself the chosen one, wore 23 and did the powder toss like Mike.

So he's not Jordan......who cares? No one is. Magic lost 4 times in the Finals. Bird lost twice. Kobe lost twice. Dr. J lost 3 times. This narrative is boring. He's not going to have the legacy of Michael Jordan, I think most of us understand that but it's silly build a strawman around if you're not as great as Michael Jordan, you're nothing.

Great game by the Spurs. I loved that they weren't satisfied with Tuesday's blow out. One more game to go......and it'd be a great gift to Papa Duncan to win on Father's Day.

• Like 7

I don't know, just weird how peolpe keep making sorry excuses for LeBron and his failures. He couldn't win in Cleveland, fine. I understand that. He cowardly teamed up with 2 big stars when they were in their primes and did great, but still found a way to blow vs the Mavs. in fact, that entire series he did nothing but disappear in the entire 4th quarter. I remember that very well because the media everywhere was bashing him for him not showing up in the 4th quarter at all. Now he's about to lose again, and people are making more excuses to defend him. He already lost his shot at being the best ever, mostly because Jordan never lost in the Finals, and didn't disappear in the 4th quarter.

Cool Narrative Bro. 4 straight finals appearances and 2 rings, 4 MVPs. Yeah, he's not that good. Again, you're the only one arguing about Jordan in an NBA Finals thread for 2014 when nobody is arguing against you saying Lebron is better. Seriously, way too much Skip Baylessing for a rotoworld forum post.

Cool way to twist words. I never said he wasn't great or not that good. Gotta love when people put false words into the mouth of others.

Anyway, I hope the Spurs finish this off.

And for the record. Skip Bayless like him or not, has said facts about LeBron.

"On Wednesday's show, I dared to place the bulk of the NBA Finals Game 3 blame on LeBron, who in the final three quarters contributed 8 points, 7 turnovers and zero free throw attempts and became strangely disengaged on offense, even as Miami cut a 25-point lead to seven late in the third quarter. My debate partner, Stephen A. Smith, condemned me for being "so disrespectful" and let LeBron off the hook by saying he "looked tired." The world's greatest and fittest athlete got tired after a sensational first quarter (14 points on 5-of-6 shooting, 2-for-2 on 3s, 2 free throws) of a pivotal Game 3 in His House?

Skip Bayless also said Lebron would never win a ring multiple times. But as long as I know you actually give credence to a troll like Bayless, I'm comfortable ending this discourse.

Ok, go ahead and defend 8 points, 7 turnovers, and 0 FT attempts in Game 3 then. What happened to him there? He completely disappeared for 75 percent of the game. Skip unlike most of America, hasn't kissed LeBron's butt all his career (even in his lovable Cleveland days) so he gets hate. Nobody is correct 100 percent of the time, including you.

Edited by Doctor L

Ok, go ahead and defend 8 points, 7 turnovers, and 0 FT attempts in Game 3 then. What happened to him there? He completely disappeared for 75 percent of the game. Skip unlike most of America, hasn't kissed LeBron's butt all his career (even in his lovable Cleveland days) so he gets hate. Nobody is correct 100 percent of the time, including you.

Do you even live in America?

Do you even live in America?

LeBron was loved before The Decision by a lot of people. The second he did that, he became one of the most disliked athletes in America for taking the easy way out and making everything about himself.

Way to not defend his Game 3 performance by the way.

Edited by Doctor L

Focusing on LeBron or the Heat's struggles is the wrong angle to take on this series. This series is 100% about the Spurs playing some of the most precise basketball you will ever see. Sit back and appreciate it. A team like this won't come along very often. These last two games have been the best basketball I've seen in a long time. Crossing sports, it reminds me of some of the old school 49er teams with Montana as QB. They would go on the road and rip their opponents a new one with precision and a business-like attitude. The media will make this all about Lebron and the Heat, but it's absolutely the wrong take.

• Like 5

Focusing on LeBron or the Heat's struggles is the wrong angle to take on this series. This series is 100% about the Spurs playing some of the most precise basketball you will ever see. Sit back and appreciate it. A team like this won't come along very often. These last two games have been the best basketball I've seen in a long time. Crossing sports, it reminds me of some of the old school 49er teams with Montana as QB. They would go on the road and rip their opponents a new one with precision and a business-like attitude. The media will make this all about Lebron and the Heat, but it's absolutely the wrong take.

They've played great. Duncan is the most underrated HOFer I've personally seen in sports. He gets little attention, mostly because of his personality, or lack of one.

They've played great. Duncan is the most underrated HOFer I've personally seen in sports. He gets little attention, mostly because of his personality, or lack of one.

He's no Michael Jordan though.

No he isn't.

Way to still not defend the Game 3 performance as you cowardly avoid that. All you do is keep poking at other things I've said.

No he isn't.

Way to still not defend the Game 3 performance as you cowardly avoid that. All you do is keep poking at other things I've said.

You're calling me a coward for asking me to defend a position I never took? OK...

• Like 1

If spurs win game 5

Best player in his era? I say yea, even if they collapse.

i agree it's not about the heat playing bad, but the spurs are playing flawless basketball. the ball movement in the last 2 series from this team is the best that i've seen in any basketball. and you see this often for certain spurts, but they are doing this for entire games, which is very difficult.

in game 5, i think the heat should change their first 5 and try to limit the easy shots because spurs have been getting on very good starts. i would start

lbj, wade, allen, battier and birdman. i am not a fan of making major changes because you are in turn admitting that what you did for the entire year is not working, but the spurs are just anything that they want. lbj handle the point and he will be guarding parker too to contain the penetrations early. i think andersen has been a bright spot for the heat, and start him because he is the only one who can protect the paint. i don't think bosh and birdman can play together with lbj because it creates spacing issues with miami's style, so bring bosh off the bench. they need allen's shooting and battier for 3 & d type of guy.

they don't have to use this line-up for long stretches, just throw something different to confuse the spurs, and i think this line-up will give them the best chance to contain red hot spurs offense

The Spurs in general just seem to be one of those highly underrated teams every year. They get attention, but not as much as the Clippers, Rockets, Warriors, and Thunder do. Those teams have all the shiny new toys while the Spurs are the older team without any big personalities. They don't have lob city, or Harden and Dwight, or Steph Curry's outrageous shooting, or Durant and Westbrook. All they have is good old "boring" basketball the way it's supposed to be played.

Edited by Doctor L
  • Like 3

It feels like the end of the line for Miami. Wade is done being relied on as a #2 on a title contender. Bosh can't be relied on at all. And half of the remaining roster are either NBA castaways or on the verge of retirement. They've tried.

I'm still amazed at how Bosh is underutilized on this team. He should get far more touches than he does. The fact that after 4 years, Spoelstra hasn't found a way to make Bosh a more focal point on the offense, especially with Wade's diminishing skills is head scratching.

Edited by tremixt

This will be the quintessential team that won without superstars if the Spurs can finish them off. Not that Duncan didn't used to be a superstar and isn't still great, but he's just not on that top tier level of name recognition and workload anymore.

Big credit to the Spurs for showing up and staying hungry tonight; how many times have we seen a team get a road win then lay down in the next game?

I think we should all be grateful that Allen hit that 3 in last year's Finals. Because if Lebron was 1-4 in the Finals with his only title over a very young Thunder team, then the narratives would just be so grating. With those multiple titles in his pocket, thankfully the narrative from much of the media and fans has focused on what an incredible player he really is, which is far better than the alternative.

• Like 3

Duncan for Finals MVP if the Spurs win another one and the contributions by the players are similar to the games so far. Kawhi arguably deserves it also, but Duncan is the heart and anchor of the team. His numbers are not the best, but his presence is definitely most valuable. Spurs have a chance without Kawhi, but no chance without Duncan.

Plus, while watching this game, I notice how the Spurs do not show their emotion on their sleeves. No ceremonies after 3's. No screaming and strutting. That's gotta be the Duncan factor. His tutelage is all over this team. Kawhi after monster put back jam - quietly jogs back for defense. Kawhi absolutely takes Wade's lunch money in 3rd quarter - no screams a la Westbrook. Another day at the office, doing his job, just like Duncan.

• Like 4

This will be the quintessential team that won without superstars if the Spurs can finish them off. Not that Duncan didn't used to be a superstar and isn't still great, but he's just not on that top tier level of name recognition and workload anymore.

Big credit to the Spurs for showing up and staying hungry tonight; how many times have we seen a team get a road win then lay down in the next game?

I know what you mean, but it's tough to think about this Spurs' team in the same way as, say, the '04 Pistons. Duncan, even at his age, is probably a top 5 big man in the league still. Parker is still one of the top PGs in the league and was a borderline MVP candidate just last season. Leonard is an emerging top 5 SF in the game. Everyone loves Paul George, but I couldn't definitively say Paul George is a better player than Leonard.

Edited by mjk356
  • Like 3

Duncan for Finals MVP if the Spurs win another one and the contributions by the players are similar to the games so far. Kawhi arguably deserves it also, but Duncan is the heart and anchor of the team. His numbers are not the best, but his presence is definitely most valuable. Spurs have a chance without Kawhi, but no chance without Duncan.

Plus, while watching this game, I notice how the Spurs do not show their emotion on their sleeves. No ceremonies after 3's. No screaming and strutting. That's gotta be the Duncan factor. His tutelage is all over this team. Kawhi after monster put back jam - quietly jogs back for defense. Kawhi absolutely takes Wade's lunch money in 3rd quarter - no screams a la Westbrook. Another day at the office, doing his job, just like Duncan.

I personally like Kawhi to win the MVP for this particular Finals. He's been a star.

I think the Spurs will close this out in Game 5 in San Antonio. There's nothing sweeter than winning a title at home. Heat and their "Big 3" are being embarrassed by The Big Fundamentals.

• Like 2

I think many are putting too much emphasis on the superstars and Lebron and etc etc...

All it is about is one team playing very Beethoven like basketball against a team of Chopins. Its not about all the intangibles the media love to talk about to attract viewers or about one player which seem to incite dumbass debates here, its all about execution and one team executing to flawless basketball performances.

Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven . . . Hmm. Welp, he was 28.7% right I guess.

• Like 3

Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven . . . Hmm. Welp, he was 28.7% right I guess.

LeBron has brought a lot of the hate on himself for all the things he's done in his career. He just needs to keep his mouth shut and play ball. Tim Duncan is the perfect role model for that. He's never once tried to grab the spot light, or show off, or begged for the microphone and camera to be on him.

• Like 1

Its not just the spotlight or even the supreme arrogance because we're pretty much use to that in today's NBA but he's just so overly dramatic. Always playing the victim. It gets tiresome.

• Like 1