Sign in to follow this  
Kobe_No_Means_No

2013-2014 Playoffs NBA Finals Game Thread

I'll just quote a few really solid posts below...

Focusing on LeBron or the Heat's struggles is the wrong angle to take on this series. This series is 100% about the Spurs playing some of the most precise basketball you will ever see. Sit back and appreciate it. A team like this won't come along very often. These last two games have been the best basketball I've seen in a long time. Crossing sports, it reminds me of some of the old school 49er teams with Montana as QB. They would go on the road and rip their opponents a new one with precision and a business-like attitude. The media will make this all about Lebron and the Heat, but it's absolutely the wrong take.

The Heat have the best player. The Spurs have the better team. Usually the team with the best player wins the series, but not always.

Fin.

Bingo.

I'm pretty much agree completely with the above, and too add to it - if you want to pin this on LeBron, I suppose that is your prerogative, however, look at this stats for this series:

27.5 PPG 7.3 RPG 3.8 APG 2.5 SPG 2.8 3PG (no blocks) on 60%/61%/75% FG/3PT/FT

Again, too me, it's more about the Spurs just absolutely wearing out the Heat on offense, draining their energy via ball/player movement, then Heat collectively looked dazed on offense. Also, what more do you really want LeBron to do - those stats are pretty damn good, especially the shooting %'s. Even if he were a bit more aggressive, do you really think him averaging, say, 35 PPG would really make a difference? Assists are down a bit, but that's more of a by product of missed shots by some of the role players. To sum this up - this is way more about the Spurs just putting on a clinic for how to play basketball than the Heat losing because LeBron isn't rising to the challenge - well, at least that's my opinion.

• Like 3

I guess there's a loyalty thing going on with Chalmers, but sheesh, come on. James Jones in garbage time showed last night that he should be playing over both Chalmers and Cole. Let James handle the ball and Jones can spread the court a bit. I get that they're trying to play James on the elbow, but honestly just give him the ball and spread it out. His teammates looked flat out awful.

They're clearly outmatched, but rolling out a completely useless player at PG isn't helping.

I'll be on the Riverwalk Sunday night. Hopefully, I'll get to celebrate with the rest of the city on Sunday! C'mon, one more!!!

• Like 1

What kinda royalty? Chalmers hasnt done anything for the Heat. Hell simply be unemployed within1-2yrs max. Hes lucky he was with this Miami Heat team. No other team would start this bum hes simply a 10-12min high energy guy off bench, if that. Miami has no choice but to start him, coach likes Cole coming off bench.

• Like 1

What kinda royalty? Chalmers hasnt done anything for the Heat. Hell simply be unemployed within1-2yrs max. Hes lucky he was with this Miami Heat team. No other team would start this bum hes simply a 10-12min high energy guy off bench, if that. Miami has no choice but to start him, coach likes Cole coming off bench.

Remember last year when Chalmers was asked in an interview where he ranked among current PG's?

Quote:

“I’d say top 10. I’m not in the lower part (of the top 10), I’m in the middle part. I just have confidence in myself. I think I can compete with the best of them."

So by "middle part" he thinks he's either the 4th, 5th, or 6th best PG in the league. But why stop there, 'Rio? Why not GOAT? :lol:

• Like 1

Remember last year when Chalmers was asked in an interview where he ranked among current PG's?

Quote:

“I’d say top 10. I’m not in the lower part (of the top 10), I’m in the middle part. I just have confidence in myself. I think I can compete with the best of them."

So by "middle part" he thinks he's either the 4th, 5th, or 6th best PG in the league. But why stop there, 'Rio? Why not GOAT? :lol:

Judging by the intentional elbow shot that he "doesn't remember throwing" I'd say that any words out of his mouth should be thrown in a dumpster. He's clueless.
  • Like 2

Focusing on LeBron or the Heat's struggles is the wrong angle to take on this series. This series is 100% about the Spurs playing some of the most precise basketball you will ever see. Sit back and appreciate it. A team like this won't come along very often. These last two games have been the best basketball I've seen in a long time. Crossing sports, it reminds me of some of the old school 49er teams with Montana as QB. They would go on the road and rip their opponents a new one with precision and a business-like attitude. The media will make this all about Lebron and the Heat, but it's absolutely the wrong take.

The Heat have the best player. The Spurs have the better team. Usually the team with the best player wins the series, but not always.

Fin.

Bingo.

I'm pretty much agree completely with the above, and too add to it - if you want to pin this on LeBron, I suppose that is your prerogative, however, look at this stats for this series:

Again, too me, it's more about the Spurs just absolutely wearing out the Heat on offense, draining their energy via ball/player movement, then Heat collectively looked dazed on offense. Also, what more do you really want LeBron to do - those stats are pretty damn good, especially the shooting %'s. Even if he were a bit more aggressive, do you really think him averaging, say, 35 PPG would really make a difference? Assists are down a bit, but that's more of a by product of missed shots by some of the role players. To sum this up - this is way more about the Spurs just putting on a clinic for how to play basketball than the Heat losing because LeBron isn't rising to the challenge - well, at least that's my opinion.

I think from a macro level, you're right. Lebron's shooting efficiency is probably surprising even him. I would venture to say that if you take a more discerning look at his games and specifically the last two home games, folks want a little more consistency out of Lebron though. He's had two monster quarters out of the last 8 and then just disappears for most of the game. It's odd but he's just another dude out there for long stretches of the game and typically when the game is being decided. Where is he?

He scored 14 points in the first quarter of game 3 but had only 6 points for the last 31.5 minutes of the game. When they were making their comeback in the 3rd quarter, Lebron had one solitary bucket and 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 turnovers. This is when the Heat were making their move. He did get some rest but the Heat were positive 3 points in the 3rd quarter with Lebron out. As soon as he came back, the Spurs blew the doors off the Heat. He came back in down 10 and the Heat got no closer and by 5 minutes in left in the 4th the lead had ballooned to 18.

In game 4, he had the studly quarter 3 where he scores 19 points. He also hit a bail out, lucky 3 at the end of the first half. So beyond 12 minutes and 11 seconds of the game (basically the 3rd quarter), he had 6 points for the rest of the 36 minutes. But, this game was really settled in the first half as the Heat could get no closer than 13 points in the 2nd half and that lasted all of 20 seconds. Within 2 minutes it was back up to 20. So when this game was being decided in the first half (-11 seconds), Lebron had 6 points. 6! I give him respect that he tried to make a run but it was insignificant. Being great isn't just about getting points, it's often about when you get your points and Lebron simply isn't being impactful when the Spurs are going on their prolonged runs. He was just a dude for 80% of these two games. He's -44 for these two games combined. That's the worst +/- of anyone on the team, even worse then Wade! He has 10 turnovers and 9 assists in those two games. At home!

Now, I'm certainly not placing all the accountability on Lebron. As I stated before the series, Wade is a player in steep declination. He's still a gifted scorer at times and I wouldn't surprised if he puts up a huge game 5 scoring, but he's done as an elite all around player. He doesn't rebound. He doesn't make plays for anyone else anymore and he's a horrific defender now. I talked about this going into the series, but he's a crash test dummy out there on defense. He can't guard anyone. The Spurs look at whoever he's guarding and go right at him. Diaw takes him on the block. Kawhi drives by him off the dribble, so does Manu and Parker. He still has good hands so he'll swipe down on the ball on a shooter and get some steals, but otherwise he's a flopper because he can't stay in front of anyone. It's terrible.

Spolestra still hasn't figured out that Bosh should be getting the 2nd most touches and shots on the team. Now Bosh is hanging out too much on the arc but Bosh has a TS% as good as Lebron's. He has 15 shots in the last two games and only 16% USG in the Finals. What? Bosh should be getting 15 shots a game and should be the 2nd option but they continue to try and push Wade to play make. Now I understand that to some level b/c Lebron is being guarded by Kawhi and can't initiate everything, but Wade can no longer be trusted to be a #2 consistently. They have to get Bosh more involved. Otherwise, they aren't as deep anymore and their defense isn't nearly as good but a lot of that is Wade's declination on that end. Paramount is the Spurs are just playing better on both ends of the floor.

Now, it's not over. Like last year, they're a TP hamstring injury away from perhaps getting back into this one, but they're going to need Lebron to be more consistent in his influence on the game, they need Bosh to get 15 shots (or more) and more PNR's with Lebron and ISO's rather than Wade. Additionally, They need someone beyond Ray Allen on the bench to come alive. They've tried playing their no PG lineup on the floor (Birdman/Lewis, Bosh, Lebron, Wade, and Allen) a lot. They don't like to go two bigs b/c they feel they aren't quick enough in their rotations against SA and their shooters. But going small plays into the Spurs hands. The Spurs are simply better then the Heat are at small ball.

The Heat need to slow the pace down. It's time for Hail Mary's and they may want to go big and really slow down the pace and for lack of a better word, Pacer up the game. Make it physical, ugly, and slow. Try and make it a final 2 minute game by playing in the 80's or 90's by rebounding better with a bigger lineup and then hope Lebron can carry them down the stretch. Not sure they can traverse such a radical change of strategy this deep in the playoffs, but they do have an extra day of prep and going big may be their last hope......

I certainly think the Heat will play their best game on Sunday.

• Like 4

Fin.

Bingo.

I think from a macro level, you're right. Lebron's shooting efficiency is probably surprising even him. I would venture to say that if you take a more discerning look at his games and specifically the last two home games, folks want a little more consistency out of Lebron though. He's had two monster quarters out of the last 8 and then just disappears for most of the game. It's odd but he's just another dude out there for long stretches of the game and typically when the game is being decided. Where is he?

He scored 14 points in the first quarter of game 3 but had only 6 points for the last 31.5 minutes of the game. When they were making their comeback in the 3rd quarter, Lebron had one solitary bucket and 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 turnovers. This is when the Heat were making their move. He did get some rest but the Heat were positive 3 points in the 3rd quarter with Lebron out. As soon as he came back, the Spurs blew the doors off the Heat. He came back in down 10 and the Heat got no closer and by 5 minutes in left in the 4th the lead had ballooned to 18.

In game 4, he had the studly quarter 3 where he scores 19 points. He also hit a bail out, lucky 3 at the end of the first half. So beyond 12 minutes and 11 seconds of the game (basically the 3rd quarter), he had 6 points for the rest of the 36 minutes. But, this game was really settled in the first half as the Heat could get no closer than 13 points in the 2nd half and that lasted all of 20 seconds. Within 2 minutes it was back up to 20. So when this game was being decided in the first half (-11 seconds), Lebron had 6 points. 6! I give him respect that he tried to make a run but it was insignificant. Being great isn't just about getting points, it's often about when you get your points and Lebron simply isn't being impactful when the Spurs are going on their prolonged runs. He was just a dude for 80% of these two games. He's -44 for these two games combined. That's the worst +/- of anyone on the team, even worse then Wade! He has 10 turnovers and 9 assists in those two games. At home!

Now, I'm certainly not placing all the accountability on Lebron. As I stated before the series, Wade is a player in steep declination. He's still a gifted scorer at times and I wouldn't surprised if he puts up a huge game 5 scoring, but he's done as an elite all around player. He doesn't rebound. He doesn't make plays for anyone else anymore and he's a horrific defender now. I talked about this going into the series, but he's a crash test dummy out there on defense. He can't guard anyone. The Spurs look at whoever he's guarding and go right at him. Diaw takes him on the block. Kawhi drives by him off the dribble, so does Manu and Parker. He still has good hands so he'll swipe down on the ball on a shooter and get some steals, but otherwise he's a flopper because he can't stay in front of anyone. It's terrible.

Spolestra still hasn't figured out that Bosh should be getting the 2nd most touches and shots on the team. Now Bosh is hanging out too much on the arc but Bosh has a TS% as good as Lebron's. He has 15 shots in the last two games and only 16% USG in the Finals. What? Bosh should be getting 15 shots a game and should be the 2nd option but they continue to try and push Wade to play make. Now I understand that to some level b/c Lebron is being guarded by Kawhi and can't initiate everything, but Wade can no longer be trusted to be a #2 consistently. They have to get Bosh more involved. Otherwise, they aren't as deep anymore and their defense isn't nearly as good but a lot of that is Wade's declination on that end. Paramount is the Spurs are just playing better on both ends of the floor.

Now, it's not over. Like last year, they're a TP hamstring injury away from perhaps getting back into this one, but they're going to need Lebron to be more consistent in his influence on the game, they need Bosh to get 15 shots (or more) and more PNR's with Lebron and ISO's rather than Wade. Additionally, They need someone beyond Ray Allen on the bench to come alive. They've tried playing their no PG lineup on the floor (Birdman/Lewis, Bosh, Lebron, Wade, and Allen) a lot. They don't like to go two bigs b/c they feel they aren't quick enough in their rotations against SA and their shooters. But going small plays into the Spurs hands. The Spurs are simply better then the Heat are at small ball.

The Heat need to slow the pace down. It's time for Hail Mary's and they may want to go big and really slow down the pace and for lack of a better word, Pacer up the game. Make it physical, ugly, and slow. Try and make it a final 2 minute game by playing in the 80's or 90's by rebounding better with a bigger lineup and then hope Lebron can carry them down the stretch. Not sure they can traverse such a radical change of strategy this deep in the playoffs, but they do have an extra day of prep and going big may be their last hope......

It's over.

• Like 6

series reminding of when the pistons beat the lakers? no?

I think not really. I think back then no one gave the Pistons a chance, but entering this series, a fair amount of guys felt the Spurs had a really good chance to take this series.

I think not really. I think back then no one gave the Pistons a chance, but entering this series, a fair amount of guys felt the Spurs had a really good chance to take this series.

I believe a majority had Spurs as favorites to win the series, especially with the additional home game advantage. The only thing that would be surprising is if the Spurs win in 5.

The Spurs were the favorites in Vegas, which is saying something because national teams like Miami/Lakers generally get more juice because casual betters like to bet on them, so the Spurs in theory should have been even more of a favorite (they were just a slight favorite)

The Lakers were heavy favorites in 2004. I vividly remember during a Pacers/Pistons ECF game that was low scoring and ugly, Stephen A Smith was asked if either team could beat the Lakers (who were already in the finals). He stared at the camera and looked as if someone asked him the dumbest question of all time and then proceeded to rant about how the Pistons/Pacers would have no shot.

This series does remind me of that series in the sense you had a bunch of superstars on one team, while the other team was a better actual team that season and dominated the finals.

In terms of anything of what you just said though, no. Most intelligent people were predicting the Spurs to win, very few if any were picking the Pistons to win. The Pistons series was a huge upset.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Fin.

Bingo.

Holy ish man. I like the essay.

I hope Kawhi plays well on Father's day. Just found out his father's story.

His dad was murdered a block from my house :(

• Like 1

Agreed. His numbers look good in a vacuum but he's been extremely passive for large portions of games. Kinda like Bosh who looks invisible at times.

I agree with this. The Heat cannot play their usual chaotic defense because they don't have the guys to do it anymore. Battier, Wade, Haslem are simply too slow, too old for that style of defense. One of the Heat's great advantages HAD been closeout speed, ability to react. The pace, reactions aren't there anymore. Why not go traditional, go big and slow the pace down. Good points, Patrick.

Edited by StreetCred
  • Like 1

I hope Kawhi plays well on Father's day. Just found out his father's story.

His dad was murdered a block from my house :(

Wow thats F'ed up man. I didn't even know that. Maybe that's why he's attuide is like that now. He shows no emotions while being on the court it doesnt matter if he just totally beasting, great guy man, staying humble and doesnt take his life for granted. If anything this should fuel Leonard more, he knows he's dad would want his son to be ballin in the biggest stage. Go Spurs!

As I stated before the series, Wade is a player in steep declination. He's still a gifted scorer at times and I wouldn't surprised if he puts up a huge game 5 scoring, but he's done as an elite all around player. He doesn't rebound. He doesn't make plays for anyone else anymore and he's a horrific defender now. I talked about this going into the series, but he's a crash test dummy out there on defense. He can't guard anyone. The Spurs look at whoever he's guarding and go right at him. Diaw takes him on the block. Kawhi drives by him off the dribble, so does Manu and Parker. He still has good hands so he'll swipe down on the ball on a shooter and get some steals, but otherwise he's a flopper because he can't stay in front of anyone. It's terrible.

Wade is one, if not the main main culprit, in Miami's defensive breakdowns. The Heat defensive system is very effective IF everyone is connected and committed. Wade is simply not there, both physically and mentally. He's clearly a step slow, but he's also making mental mistakes on defense.

• Like 3

Sunday when SAS close it out, watch how fast ESPN will try to spin their coverage to the World Cup match between USA and Ghana and make it a big deal that it is USA versus the world. They won't let the face of the network takes another embarrassing Finals loss and deal with it for too long. And of course will not give SAS the coverage and credits they deserve. But hey at least we won't have to hear LBJ telling us to go back to live our normal and pathetic lives. At least I hope he is not dumb enough to say it again.

If SAS can't close it out in game 5, I honestly think it will go to game 7 and the choke-job of last year might repeat again. I want LBJ to go beast mode in game 5. Forget about the 8 rebs or 8, 9 assists, I want him to drop a 40, or 50 points game and just show that he is the best player on the floor, just that he ran into a better team.

Whatever it is, I want a close game 5, and I want to see LBJ in beast mode. Definitely want SAS to win, but fully expect a strong fight from the defending champs. Should be a good one.

• Like 1

Chris Bosh had Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Udonis Haslem over for dinner on Friday night to talk about turning the series around.

Hopefully the dinner was better than his performance in the past two games. Bosh was outstanding earlier in the playoffs, but the Spurs have done a great job at neutralizing him in the past two outings. The Heat will attempt to be the first team to ever come back from a 1-3 deficit in the NBA Finals.

That's funny, because there used to be this dude named Jesus who also called for a big dinner before his crucifixion. Here is Judas:

7c494c70517ca82f03ed15d3b7c31614.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday when SAS close it out, watch how fast ESPN will try to spin their coverage to the World Cup match between USA and Ghana and make it a big deal that it is USA versus the world. They won't let the face of the network takes another embarrassing Finals loss and deal with it for too long. And of course will not give SAS the coverage and credits they deserve. But hey at least we won't have to hear LBJ telling us to go back to live our normal and pathetic lives. At least I hope he is not dumb enough to say it again.

If SAS can't close it out in game 5, I honestly think it will go to game 7 and the choke-job of last year might repeat again. I want LBJ to go beast mode in game 5. Forget about the 8 rebs or 8, 9 assists, I want him to drop a 40, or 50 points game and just show that he is the best player on the floor, just that he ran into a better team.

Whatever it is, I want a close game 5, and I want to see LBJ in beast mode. Definitely want SAS to win, but fully expect a strong fight from the defending champs. Should be a good one.

If San Antonio lose this series, which I've seen even serious news and in depth articles refer to in the past tense, then the legacies of all their players are absolutely demolished. Last year's historic collapse was bad enough, but another to a notably worse Heat team and with an even more commanding lead should lead to Popovich and all the older players just spontaneously retiring...there's no coming back from that.

If San Antonio lose this series, which I've seen even serious news and in depth articles refer to in the past tense, then the legacies of all their players are absolutely demolished. Last year's historic collapse was bad enough, but another to a notably worse Heat team and with an even more commanding lead should lead to Popovich and all the older players just spontaneously retiring...there's no coming back from that.

So we should completely forget abut the other 3 championships they've won together? The consecutive 50 win seasons? The fact that multiple dominant teams have come and gone, yet these guys have always stuck around? I don't think two years, regardless of how this series turns out, will tarnish 15+ years of true basketball beauty.

• Like 2