Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigbossman1

Josh Bell - 1B/OF PIT

No snoozing, here...I've owned him for at least a couple of years. He was a highly-touted prospect when he entered the draft. Glad to see he's healthy and taking advantage of his time...unfortunately, he plays in the Pirates organization, so he probably won't see the majors for quite a while.

I think he will ultimately be traded at the deadline. Still won't be up for a couple years but could give him a clearer path

Losing teams usually trade FOR prospects at the deadline, not the other way around.

Word is catching on:

Pirates outfield prospect Josh Bell went 2-for-3 with a double and a walk on Thursday, raising his season line to .320/.369/.512.

Bell is hitting a ridiculous .400/.460/.800 with three doubles and five home runs in June. The slugging switch-hitter has hit well at home (.343/.391/.578) and on the road (.303/.353/.465), as well as against righties (.305/.321/.476) and lefties (.327/.391/.531). He is even 1-for-1 with a double in his lone at bat as a right-hander against a right-handed pitcher.

Losing teams usually trade FOR prospects at the deadline, not the other way around.

Exactly

So, he's batting .513 over his last 10 games. About time for a promotion? He's absolutely murdering High A pitching. He's also got a 8:6 bb/k ratio for the month...he's got nothing left to prove with the bat.

He dropped big time in the draft due to signability concerns...but he was noted to be one of the best bats in the draft.

Is he making the transition to 1b? Switch hitting first baseman with legit power on a good lineup.... Very intriguing.... Also whens his call up 2017?

Is he making the transition to 1b? Switch hitting first baseman with legit power on a good lineup.... Very intriguing.... Also whens his call up 2017?

He is making the transition to 1B. No room in the OF with Marte, McCutchen, and Polanco. I would say his ETA is 2016.

This will be his first season as a 1b. I believe he played first in the AFL last year, but first minor league season exclusively at first. MLB.com rates him as the #1 first base prospect.

First base project Pedro Alvarez is in his contract year and with Scott Boras as his agent, it may be tough for Pittsburgh to resign him. Bell is pretty much slotted in as the 2016 starter at first.

This will be his first season as a 1b. I believe he played first in the AFL last year, but first minor league season exclusively at first. MLB.com rates him as the #1 first base prospect.

First base project Pedro Alvarez is in his contract year and with Scott Boras as his agent, it may be tough for Pittsburgh to resign him. Bell is pretty much slotted in as the 2016 starter at first.

Agree with all of this. Injuries/contact issues with Alvarez and Bell may be up later in the year - although the Pirates are usually pretty consistent with keeping their prospects at one level for all/most of their first year at the new level. Love this guy's bat, definitely a prospect to keep an eye on.

This dude is slashing a cool .340 at AA but with only one dinger....still, lots to like here.

I'm just not seeing it. When's he gonna dominate?

He's 22 and lost a year to injury and currently slashing:

.340 .412 .462

some of those doubles will turn into dingers and in the majors he's a .300+ 20 HR bat. maybe not dominating but damn good nonetheless!

He's 22 and lost a year to injury and currently slashing:

.340 .412 .462

some of those doubles will turn into dingers and in the majors he's a .300+ 20 HR bat. maybe not dominating but damn good nonetheless!

.300+. That's mighty high to assume.

Any chance this guy gets the call in 2015? He's hitting .310/.380/.420 for AA this year (he now has 400 AB at the AA level).

Where would he play? Alvarez is doing well-enough at 1b for the time being...

Any chance this guy gets the call in 2015? He's hitting .310/.380/.420 for AA this year (he now has 400 AB at the AA level).

Very little shot. Maybe sit on the bench in September, but nothing significant. They want to see power to compliment the average and Alvarez is playing well enough that nobody is going to supplant him.

Bucs are notorious for bringing guys up slowly, so I'd expect him to get AAA time this year and get a call in June 2016. Of course, things can change but that seems like the projected path he's on

Where would he play? Alvarez is doing well-enough at 1b for the time being...

Alvarez arbitration eligible and can be non-tendered I believe. Would open up 1b for Bell, that is one possible scenario.

Is he just the next James Loney? We have yet to see the power and I am wondering if his bat plays better in the OF even. Haven't seen his defense out there but heard been shaky at 1b.

Is he just the next James Loney? We have yet to see the power and I am wondering if his bat plays better in the OF even. Haven't seen his defense out there but heard been shaky at 1b.

He was an OF, this is his first full year at 1B. Switched during AFL last fall so he's still learning.

He has the power, but the combination of learning and mastering a new position as well as the added challenge of a full season at AA is quite a bit to adjust to.

It will be interesting to see his first and second half splits. Expect more power and better fielding