Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigbossman1

Josh Bell - 1B/OF PIT

1 hour ago, Hasselhoff said:

Hidden behind a paywall... wtf?

lol. my bad

3 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

I read it.  But they did want money to read more articles.  Who pays to see fan sites like this anyway?  I mean I assume it is a fan site given the title of the site.

Anyway spec was would Kuhl get sent down and Pirates go with 4 pitchers through July 5th and call up Bell for awhile.  Didn't seem to be a beat writer involved or anything was there?

16 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I read it.  But they did want money to read more articles.  Who pays to see fan sites like this anyway?  I mean I assume it is a fan site given the title of the site.

Anyway spec was would Kuhl get sent down and Pirates go with 4 pitchers through July 5th and call up Bell for awhile.  Didn't seem to be a beat writer involved or anything was there?

Yeah. It was just something I came across on Twitter and thought it a bit interesting. Thing is I'm skeptical only because now the Polanco is still injured it might make more sense for the Pirates to DH him on the WC trip. Not sure where bell would play.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2016/06/28/Bill-Brink-s-Pirates-chat-6-28-16/stories/201606280127

Bill Brink's Pirates chat: 6.28.16

Comment From Mike

Any chance we see Josh Bell called up to DH this week?

Bill Brink

There is a chance, and it makes sense, with five games in AL parks.

Comment From Will

Jaso signing was good but let's not get carried away just because his glove is OK and better than expected Jaso is a .4 WAR player to date who's cooled off substantially after a strong start. Bell's bat is ready to provide impact now. Why were the Pirates willing to endure Pedro at 1B last year with diminished bat and glove but not willing to endure Bell's evolving glove and substantial bat.

Comment From Wayward

Are we starting to see a scenario develop with Josh Bell coming up before September? Jas has dropped off and Bell is really pounding it now down in Indy. I can also see where if the Bucs continue to drop off of the plate that Freeze would be a reasonable attractive piece at the trade deadline.

Bill Brink

Similar questions, so I'll address them together. I don't know that anyone is "carried away" with Jaso, though .276/.357/.404, while not otherworldly, is solid (the .643 June OPS, not so much). There is nowhere for Bell to play with Jaso on the roster. Before they trade Jaso, they'll want assurances that Bell is ready. One possibility: If they trade David Freese at the deadline, they could give Bell that roster spot, but I still think they want him playing every day.

Regarding the difference with Alvarez and Bell, the Pirates think Bell eventually can be a good defender, while I think they had made up their mind that Alvarez probably wouldn't, and Alvarez was entering his walk year.

Potential comps? Does he have enough power to become a very valuable 1B?

Thinking he'll be more of a Hosmer type minus the speed, maybe slightly higher AVG/OBP.

I dont see him being as good as Hosmer, but I hope Im wrong because I own him. Hosmer's last two minor league seasons were ridiculously good. I really think that park in KC kills him. He is basically Paul Goldschmidt with better D if he can get out of there. 

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Talkinbaseball said:

He is basically Paul Goldschmidt with better D if he can get out of there. 

No. Just no.

He's basically Barry Bonds with a better plate discipline.

Did anyone mention that Bell had 7 HRs in June?

He only had 7 all of last year.

His frame and power potential mixed with his plate discipline give him a great deal of upside. He's a great athlete.

I'm probably higher on Bell than most!

16 hours ago, Coach George said:

Did anyone mention that Bell had 7 HRs in June?

He only had 7 all of last year.

His frame and power potential mixed with his plate discipline give him a great deal of upside. He's a great athlete.

I'm probably higher on Bell than most!

I'm huge on Josh Bell, but it could just be Pirates bias.

He's always been able to hit for a good average, it's nice to see the power finally develop.  He's going to be a good one for the Pirates for years to come.

21 hours ago, Talkinbaseball said:

Goldschmidt .294/.416/.513    15HR 11SB

Hosmer .307/.364/.491   13HR 4SB

Have them switch parks and see what happens. You lose. 

LOL so you pull a half season where Goldy struggled...

Hosmer has NEVER hit 20 HR in a season. ... Goldy was the best player in the MLB last year, he has finished 2nd in MVP voting twice,  perennial allstar.... meanwhile Hosmer just made his first all star game of his career, cute... and that includes KC fans stuffing the box last year too.

Good job, excellent insight. 

I needed a good laugh,  thank you. 

Now as for Josh Bell...

Looks like he may be getting the call. Josh Bell's former trainer tweeted out that he got called up. Nothing official yet.

8 hours ago, StevieStats said:

LOL so you pull a half season where Goldy struggled.

Um yeah, of course Im talking about this year. I was saying take him out of Kansas City and he is just as good as Goldy right now. Last year's stats dont count for this year in fantasy. 

Apparently Bell to be used as a bench bat this weekend and sent back down per Rotoworld? That kind of sucks. A bit anti-climactic if thats the case. 

Jackie Bradley Jr is better than Giancarlo Stanton

On 7/7/2016 at 8:31 AM, Talkinbaseball said:

Goldschmidt .294/.416/.513    15HR 11SB

Hosmer .307/.364/.491   13HR 4SB

Have them switch parks and see what happens. You lose. 

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen someone say on a fantasy baseball forum.

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Jackie Bradley Jr is better than Giancarlo Stanton

Gonna assume this is /s in response to talkinbaseball's comments.

I like JBJ fwiw. Think he's a solid player. Love that high walk rate, think he's a failed prospect that finally figured it out.

7 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Gonna assume this is /s in response to talkinbaseball's comments.

I like JBJ fwiw. Think he's a solid player. Love that high walk rate, think he's a failed prospect that finally figured it out.

You got it.  I like him too. I sold him high but it wasn't a deal I felt great about really.