Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

overkill94

Jesse Winker - OF CIN

His reputation before this season was something of an Andre Ethier type - corner outfielder with 15 HR power who could hit for a pretty good average. Sickels was the only one who was really high on him, ranking him #43 going into the year, and he's looking pretty smart right now. Here's what he's put up so far:

.317/.426/.580, 15 2B, 13 HR, 49 RBI, 40 BB, 46 K, 5 SB

True, it's happening in the Cal League, but he's only 20 and was a sandwich pick in the 2012 draft. He put up a .943 OPS in 62 games of rookie ball and an .841 OPS in 112 games of Low-A in 2013 so this year would be considered a true breakout. A promotion to AA can't be far off and a debut sometime in 2015 wouldn't be out of the question. The Reds already have seemingly long-term options in CF and RF, but LF could be up for grabs as soon as next year.

Oh, and he already has 6 homers so far in June :)

Just won his league's home run derby and will probably be promoted to AA after their all-star break. Don't sleep on this guy!

Read his parents own a hitting warehouse so I guess he grew up in a hitting cage. Looks like a legit future stud and from all indications, his defense will hold up in LF. Hit more HRs than Bruce in the Cal league in less games. Looks like a natural hitter.

I'm starting to really like this guy. The power has developed quicker than expected, and that plate discipline is great. The Cal league probably inflated the numbers some, and it will be interesting to see his adjustments to AA, but his future looks really promising.

All the way up to #29 on BA's mid-season top 50! Scuffling a little bit so far in AA but he's young for the league so a little adjustment period is to be expected.

All the way up to #29 on BA's mid-season top 50! Scuffling a little bit so far in AA but he's young for the league so a little adjustment period is to be expected.

Yeah, isn't the jump from A+ to AA regarded as the toughest jump for most minor leaguers? Wouldn't worry too much about him. Great hitting ability and more power than scouts thought he had.

Ben Badler @BenBadler ·

I love Jesse Winker’s swing. Simple, fluid, easy. Terrific approach. Like @jjcoop36 said, don’t sleep on the power either.

There's 20 HR potential in his offensive profile. Could easily see a .280-.300 AVG and 20 HR's. If he can get it up to 25, man, that'd be awesome.

Oh and he destroyed pitching in the AFL over the offseason.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2014/11/17/bar-rosecrans-jesse-winker-impressive-but-not-quite-ready/19164621/

Winker just wrapped up the Arizona Fall League with the league's batting title, hitting .338. He was also second in on-base percentage (.440) and second in slugging (.559), good for a league-best .999 OPS.

Ben Badler @BenBadler ·

I love Jesse Winkers swing. Simple, fluid, easy. Terrific approach. Like @jjcoop36 said, dont sleep on the power either.

There's 20 HR potential in his offensive profile. Could easily see a .280-.300 AVG and 20 HR's. If he can get it up to 25, man, that'd be awesome.

Oh and he destroyed pitching in the AFL over the offseason.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2014/11/17/bar-rosecrans-jesse-winker-impressive-but-not-quite-ready/19164621/

Winker just wrapped up the Arizona Fall League with the league's batting title, hitting .338. He was also second in on-base percentage (.440) and second in slugging (.559), good for a league-best .999 OPS.

I'm a big fan. That swing is sweet and he's got leverage in it.

I see a lot of Corey Dickerson when I watch him.

Seems like he isn't doing well this season. Only has .246/.346/.355 triple slash line (OBP is pretty solid, but not near .391 minors career average). Anyone know what to make of his low BA?

He had a wrist injury he had been dealing with earlier in the season and I'm thinking it's still affecting his swing, Wrist injuries can linger for awhile, so I'm not too worried about him. The kid is one of the better hitters in the minors.

Yeah the injury has definitely been a factor. A lot of talk about him playing Left during the off season, but I think Cincy made a good decision by letting him develop more in the minors. They aren't contenders, so save him for later in the year or for 2016.

Either way, this kid is going to be a nice ball player. I think he can fit the offensive mold of a Joey Votto. He has a tremendous understanding of the strike zone and isn't afraid of taking a walk. 13.89% career BB% and Votto 14.96%

Hook Line and Sinker @wahoosblog 3h3 hours ago

Jesse Winker stolen base alert. He swipes second after a walk, his sixth theft of the year. 0-0 T5

Hook Line and Sinker @wahoosblog 2h2 hours ago

You down with OBP? Jesse Winker has reached four times tonight on two hits and a pair of walks. MIS 1-0 T9

Reds Baseball @RedsChat2015 2h2 hours ago

The thing that most impresses me about Jesse Winker is his plate discipline. Not often do you see guys as disciplined as him at that age.

Hook Line and Sinker @wahoosblog 4h4 hours ago

Already a two-hit night for Jesse Winker after a single to RF. Batting .364 in his last seven games (8-22) and .319 in June (23-72).

Hook Line and Sinker @wahoosblog 12h12 hours ago

Jesse Winker's June: .300/.375/.471 with 7xbh, 8rbi, 10r, including this two-run HR Thursday. http://atmilb.com/1eMrs0k

Kid is heating up. Reds front office must be happy to see that. Will be interesting to see what they do with him if he keeps this up for a few weeks

6/27/15

2-3, BB, SB, run

2/3 with a 2B, run scored, a BB, and struck out once. AVG is starting to creep up as it sits at .267 after tonight's game.

Doubt we would see him break with the Reds next season out of Spring Training but perhaps an early 2016 call up if all continues to go well and he stays healthy? Depends on who gets traded for Cincy?

Hook Line and Sinker @wahoosblog 1h1 hour ago

Jesse Winker has made 301 plate appearances this season. Only three of them have come against a pitcher younger than he is.

Hook Line and Sinker @wahoosblog Jul 7

In 30 games since June 1, Jesse Winker is batting .333 (35-105) with 12xbh, 9-2b, 1-3b, 2hr, 12rbi, 13r and a .913ops.

That 2nd tweet is from yesterday.

Also, good article here on Winker's 1st half:

http://redsminorleagues.com/2015/07/08/explaining-reds-jesse-winkers-turnaround-in-2015/

He was unconscious in June. And the first tweet is pretty remarkable. Easy to forget just how young he is

There may be sneaky dynasty league buy potential here...

Is the logical progression thought to be AAA by end of 2015 with mid-late 2016 move to Cincy, assuming all goes well?

Just hit a grand slam. The kid is smashing the ball right now.

Is the logical progression thought to be AAA by end of 2015 with mid-late 2016 move to Cincy, assuming all goes well?

I think that's exactly right

I am so used to the Dusty Baker mindset and I don't know if Price is of the same school about not giving rookies a real chance unless it is absolutely necessary.

With that said. I know Winker is a big leaguer. Has a sweet swing and will provide average and obp. He's a natural hitter that I hope can tap into that power.