Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

overkill94

Jesse Winker - OF CIN

August:

.340/.432/.415

Certainly still not showing the power that a lot of people were hoping to see, but hard to complain about a .340 avg with a .432 OBP. Chipped in 11 runs and 12 rbi as well. Not staggering, but solid. It'll be interesting to see if Cincy, who has a nice young OF playing together now, brings him up Thursday or let's him continue to play out the minor league season

seems a little contradictory.  why call him up if there are not going to play him and they want him to get regular abs?

Reds recalled outfielder Jesse Winker from Triple-A Louisville.

Winker is up to make his major league debut after hitting .323/.421/.387 in eight games for Louisville. It figures to be a short stay; the Reds don't have a major role for him right now and they'd rather he play regularly in Triple-A than get a handful of at-bats per week in the majors. He's likely to get a longer look in the second half.

1 hour ago, herschel said:

seems a little contradictory.  why call him up if there are not going to play him and they want him to get regular abs?

Reds recalled outfielder Jesse Winker from Triple-A Louisville.

Winker is up to make his major league debut after hitting .323/.421/.387 in eight games for Louisville. It figures to be a short stay; the Reds don't have a major role for him right now and they'd rather he play regularly in Triple-A than get a handful of at-bats per week in the majors. He's likely to get a longer look in the second half.

Agreed.. I'm confused with this blurb

Even the manager said he will be back down after the weekend, might only pinch hit

Not sure I understand what's going on here. There seems to be no point in calling him up unless he's going to play. But not sure they need to call him up. Winker is hitting in AAA, but Schebler seems fine so far. And then there's the financial side of things. If he stayed up the rest of the season, he might still accrue a full season of service time (didn't do the math). Let alone the Super-2 issue. I suspect he'll go back down at some point, but then why bring him up to begin with? 

Hamilton and Schebler depart with injuries tonight.  Finally Winker time???

I really hope so just to see what he can do with an extended opportunity. Hitting .321/.399/.408

That last number is disappointing, but the OBP alone is a valuable asset.